Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Official Control Tech Team Issue thread

Since these bikes are so popular with the VRC crowd and since I just restored one to near original, I figured it deserved it's own thread.

mtbr member
    Post Up!
    Seek: Old Mtn. Goat Bar Stem Combo.

Sneaker man
    You realise this thread is useless...

without pics!
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

VRC Illuminati
    We're on the edge of our seats.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

Stokeless Asshat
    Here fishy fish.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims 80's vintage 32 or 36
    Salsa or similar stem. 1" threadless. 120 with rise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Mods, make this a sticky!

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Some pictures-
    1997 single speed
    1997 8spd
    1997 project nearing completion
    more pictures to follow

project bike has following components:
    NOS Cook Bros Racing F- series cranks
    NOS Cook Bros Racing chainrings
    NOS Cook Bros Racing skewers
    NOS Judy DHO triple clamp fork
    NOS M739 front/rear derailleurs
    NOS ControlTech V-brakes rear
    NOS M739 shifter/brake controls
    NOS DKG Seat Clamp
    NOS Tioga 286 bar/stem combo
    Hope Mini Hydraulic front disc or Hayes Hydraulic front
    NOS ControlTech seatpost
    Mid 90's Smoke Dart Tires
    Chris King Hubs
    Mavic 517 wheels/ front disc specific
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Control Tech Team Issue thread-dsc09043.jpg  

Official Control Tech Team Issue thread-dsc09968.jpg  

Official Control Tech Team Issue thread-dsc00002.jpg  

Official Control Tech Team Issue thread-dsc00006.jpg  

Official Control Tech Team Issue thread-dsc00004.jpg  

Official Control Tech Team Issue thread-dsc00003.jpg  

Official Control Tech Team Issue thread-dsc00001.jpg  

Official Control Tech Team Issue thread-dsc00007.jpg  

Official Control Tech Team Issue thread-dsc00008.jpg  

Official Control Tech Team Issue thread-dsc00009.jpg  

Last edited by zygote2k; 03-18-2013 at 02:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Cool, I like the cable stops for the front derailleur, nice little touch.

Nice spec list on the project bike, looking forward to seeing that one progressed.

I have to say, for all your manic preaching like a religious zealot worshipping at the altar of high pivot URTs like some crazy person... you've inspired me. I'm gettin' me a high pivot URT to try them out for myself. It's been a loooong time since I rode a URT and that was a Y-bike. I hated it. But for the sake of a project to keep me off the streets and use up some parts I have laying around, I'm going to try a high pivot URT and see what it's all about. Seriously. I'm not taking the p*ss here. I'm doing it. More about which in... ooh, about a fortnight or so.

Grumps

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    Love the CNC work on the bike.

How is your SS set up? Tensioner? Magic gear? or ENO?

I've got a Ibis Szazbo set up SS with ENO. Has a Girvin on the front similar to one of your pics on another thread.

VRC Illuminati
    NOS project bike could end up pretty cool.

Judy DHO fork has canti mounts ya? No dual CT brakes?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pharm View Post
    Love the CNC work on the bike.
    How is your SS set up? Tensioner? Magic gear? or ENO?
    I've got a Ibis Szazbo set up SS with ENO. Has a Girvin on the front similar to one of your pics on another thread.
    I'm using a Paul WORD hub, standard BB. Since the Pivot is above the BB, the chain length never changes. No need for a tensioner or other device. Makes for super simple SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    NOS project bike could end up pretty cool.

Judy DHO fork has canti mounts ya? No dual CT brakes?
    The fork does have canti mounts and I'm thinking of mounting the front CT brakes as well for continuity or quick replacement of the rears if they break on the trail. Never had one break though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    I have to say, for all your manic preaching like a religious zealot worshipping at the altar of high pivot URTs like some crazy person... you've inspired me. I'm gettin' me a high pivot URT to try them out for myself. It's been a loooong time since I rode a URT and that was a Y-bike. I hated it. But for the sake of a project to keep me off the streets and use up some parts I have laying around, I'm going to try a high pivot URT and see what it's all about. Seriously. I'm not taking the p*ss here. I'm doing it. More about which in... ooh, about a fortnight or so.
    Grumps
    I listened to all of the issues regarding the issues with the URT bikes but honestly, I haven't had any of the described issues. I don't have pedal bob and the bike climbs effortlessly. It does unload the rear when going down really steep hills- just like a hard tail. The easy way around that is to put your ass way back over the tire if needed and then it's staight down the hill. I also like the fact that the high BB makes the chances of pedal strikes very unlikely. The modern FS bikes have such a low BB that it makes pedal strikes common enough that I don't feel comfortable riding them.

Grumps- if you want to build one of these, I have an extra frameset...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I also have to give credit to GOB for giving me the idea of using Tioga stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    I'm using a Paul WORD hub, standard BB. Since the Pivot is above the BB, the chain length never changes. No need for a tensioner or other device. Makes for super simple SS.
    Unless I'm missing something, you are still going to need a tensioner. True that the chain length won't change as the suspension works through the travel but you will still need to be able to set the tension. You might get lucky and find a magic combo (a chain ring and cog combination that works without a tensioner). A half link can help fine-tune the tension too. If you haven't bought the Paul hub, consider the WI Eno.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, you are still going to need a tensioner. True that the chain length won't change as the suspension works through the travel but you will still need to be able to set the tension. You might get lucky and find a magic combo (a chain ring and cog combination that works without a tensioner). A half link can help fine-tune the tension too. If you haven't bought the Paul hub, consider the WI Eno.
    Don't know what to tell you- I don't use a tensioner or a half link. It's a 32/16 and I use a standard chain. It's my everyday rider/racer.

mtbr member
    I like the passion Zygoteck has for Control Tech's
    I got nuthin.
    Well a few stems, a post and a fork. But that is all.

Control Tech was located about two blocks from my office before they went belly up. Pretty sure bike stuff was just small cheese for them and their bread and butter came frome the aviation industry.
    Seek: Old Mtn. Goat Bar Stem Combo.

mtbr member
    Oh man, I wish my bikes climbed effortlessly
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Don't know what to tell you- I don't use a tensioner or a half link. It's a 32/16 and I use a standard chain. It's my everyday rider/racer.
    As Boy named SSue said, "You might get lucky and find a magic combo." Looks like you got lucky and found a magic combo! Fun looking bike btw. As a CNC machinist, I love the details.

How do you like the 32/16 gearing for climbing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I listened to all of the issues regarding the issues with the URT bikes but honestly, I haven't had any of the described issues.
    That's good to know. I don't think you've mentioned before that you love the way they ride. I'm looking forward to the experience for myself and reporting back on the good and not-so-good aspects of high pivot URTs. Most of all, I'm bored and need a new project.

Grumps- if you want to build one of these, I have an extra frameset...
    Thanks, that's very generous of you to offer given you're on a mission to own every one in existence. Seriously though, I have already sourced something local, not a Control Tech however. Again, give me some time for it to land on the doorstep and then to assess it and sort out some parts.

Anyway, sorry for the hi-jack, please post some more pics of the CTs to make up for it.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    As Boy named SSue said, "You might get lucky and find a magic combo." Looks like you got lucky and found a magic combo! Fun looking bike btw. As a CNC machinist, I love the details.

How do you like the 32/16 gearing for climbing?
    The 32/16 is great for pavement hill climbs but seriously sucks on some of the big dirt hills. There have been many instances where it's easier to carry the bike up the hill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I had a Schwinn version of that bike. It rode really nice. I also had a Klein mantra that I also believe was a high pivot URT.

My only problem with the design was that I could never get the right size for me. I allways ended up with 19" frames and I needed a 21".

Very fun bikes, I would ride one again.

Bill

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I love the cnc work on it too...as an engineer I always like to look at craftsmanship.....but also the design...and to me, weather it works or not, I cannot understand the placement of a shock near the rear wheel...it is also placed upside down (so water/debris fall into the sealing area instead of away)...its just a bad place for things...most modernday designers gave up worrying about such things long ago...I think new designs have soo many nooks and crannys that they are made for a very short lifespan....hail to the VRC bikes...at least they last!

Ztgote2K....so how long have you been runnin' these things? hvae any issues with that rear shock and sealing/wiper seal...we have alot of clay in Ohio and It would just scare me to have that shock back there like that (without protection).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've been riding the CT's for 2 years now. Both of the riders have Alps 5r shocks and as far as I can tell, both are in excellent condition and the seals have held with no issue. I put 250# of air into them no problem. They have shock boots but I took them off because they get caked in stuff and are more difficult to clean.
    I ride them in mud sometimes but try to stay out of it as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thats cool...some seals last a very long time...application over theory!.....I tend to only ride when its dry (road rides when its wet)...been at it too long for muddy daze....only if I'm far away and its the only time to ride, then its all in.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I'd like to see some hardtail or bmx frames please.
    Too much FS coverage!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast