Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    We really have to get you on the program where you post up pictures of actual mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    lol; I haven't been able to find/score actual mountain bikes yet....unless ya count the 1995-1999 Schwinn Frontier and 2005ish Roadmaster Mountain Sport?

EDIT: do mid 80s Huffy ATB Scout count as well? (no made in Taiwan or Japan markings anywhere, decal says MADE IN USA; has Suntour Hero derailleur parts)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Check out the classifieds, guy is selling an MB1 in there for 200 I think. Not sure how cheap you are wanting but you have to be willing to pay a bit on them if you want a Bridgestone. They hold their value pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    hmmm i'll keep scrounging the local thrift stores, yard sales, and flea markets... who knows what I can find.... so good brands like; Bridgestone obviously.... Gary Fisher... Ritchey would be AWESOME to find for cheap, but that is highly unlikely.....one never know, right? hmm I might go ahead and email the guy that sold me the Oswego frame; I seem to recall he had about 100 frames in his basement....so odds should be good?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    $200 for a MB-1 is awesome. Save up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    you guys are starting to convince me....... lol. once the Oswego frame is done; I plan on selling both the Roadmaster and Schwinn bikes; as well as possibly the Lee World frame/fork set... the Huffy will be the subject of a military gravel theme..... with or without ammo cans.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Attached is a picture of my 1992 Bridgestone MB-5. I think it's great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Bridgestone Thread-bridgestone_mb5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Official Bridgestone Thread-%24t2ec16j-yee9s5jdy95brbw-jvp-q%7E%7E60_3.jpg

Super exited about my soon to be new to me 91 MB1. Cannot get over how clean this thing is. Got a great deal on it. Pretty much the only thing I am not a fan of is the tires on it but that is an easy change. They look pretty worked anyways.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I saw how reasonable that went for. Good job. You don't like the tires because of the color or tread?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I saw how reasonable that went for. Good job. You don't like the tires because of the color or tread?
    I don't like those tires because they have zero traction on trails with sand over hardpack.

I do like the color.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I don't like those tires because they have zero traction on trails with sand over hardpack.

I do like the color.
    I've had the same problem with those tires on gravel. ShawnW should tell us why he loves them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not a fan of either the color nor the traction on them. Always been a fan of Continentals so it might see a set of those but also have some Michelins that I got cheap, are nicely narrow, and seem to stick really well to the wet roots and rocks of the Cascades. Still not sure on all those. Haven't decided if I am going to keep it all stock as it is now or swap some things around. I have a bunch of old XTR stuff around that could find its way on there. I am not hugely nostalgic when it comes to these other than the frames themselves. I tend to like a good mix of the stuff I have found over the years that doesn't break with my fat butt using it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Girlonbike,

If you know someone that does like them and wants them have them drop me a PM cause they could have them. I know I won't use them.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    Girlonbike,

If you know someone that does like them and wants them have them drop me a PM cause they could have them. I know I won't use them.
    I will. I'm sure they will ping you on their own as well. :P Thanks though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Happy to, never hurts to help out the karma bucket.

The Brutally Handsome
    Sweet ride, I actually kinda like the tires, looks like you just rolled through some lava dust!

I just picked up this heinous hunk of garbage, I'll post some more pics once I get it cleaned up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Bridgestone Thread-mb1.jpg  

Last edited by Sizzler; 02-11-2013 at 10:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ya just waiting for it to show up. It shipped yesterday I think.

Despite being dirty, that 93 looks to be in good shape from what you can see in the pictures. At least the fork is not bent/broke yet. I have that exact same bike too except my crowned fork lasted hours. I did manage to build another for my mom that she has used as a bike trail cruiser for years and that still has the crowned fork. I had to go back a Ritchey on mine. 93 frame but looks like a 92 because of the fork.

The Brutally Handsome
    Well, it's not quite finished, but I was working on it outside today and the light was nice so I snapped a picture. It's also not original, but I think the mix of components embodies the joie de Peterson!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Bridgestone Thread-img_2259.jpg  

Last edited by Sizzler; 02-24-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Stokeless Asshat
    Nice bike but awesome tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    Well, it's not quite finished, but I was working on it outside today and the light was nice so I snapped a picture. It's also not original, but I think the mix of components embodies the joie de Peterson!
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims 80's vintage 32 or 36
    Salsa or similar stem. 1" threadless. 120 with rise.

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Nice bike but awesome tree.
    Haha, thanks, here's another view looking down at the same spot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Bridgestone Thread-img_0285.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That looks like a super nice ride. I couldn't agree with you more on the joie de Peterson aspects of these. Mixing and matching parts was one of the things they enjoyed doing most. That is why I never have issue swapping in other functional tech on these......

mtbr member
    That looks like a super nice ride. I couldn't agree with you more on the joie de Peterson aspects of these. Mixing and matching parts was one of the things they enjoyed doing most. That is why I never have issue swapping in other functional tech on these......
    Hard to imagine Grant spec'ing a machined crank though. NTTAWWT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Got this 1994 MB-3 for 5 bucks off of the back of a trailer behind a carwash this summer. It had been sitting for years obviously. New grips, tubes, tires, and a few parts out of the parts bucket and it rides like a champ. It's a great bike and I see why people like them, it climbs over anything but it's not as stable as other bikes. Eventually I wanna trade it for a GT. Or possibly put the fork on my 88 mongoose Official Bridgestone Thread-mb3web.jpg
    All vintage all the time. Nothing like a nice chromo frame with some properly adjusted cantilevers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    "Beware the Creampuff" - It likely has things lurking that you wish you didn't know about. For context if you take a look up above at the picture I posted a couple weeks ago you will see a "trailer queen" that I picked up. Very nice bike and had hardly seen any usage. Unfortunately that also equates to having seen ZERO maintenance. The bottom bracket was still in there from the first build and unfortunately the builder decided that a bottom bracket shell really didn't need any grease. You can imagine the outcome. Not terrible but definitely not what you want to see out of something that is in such nice external condition.

Anyone have any good thoughts on rust remediation that preserves the paint? Hope everything is going well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Anyone have any good thoughts on rust remediation that preserves the paint? Hope everything is going well.
    .2% Oxalic acid in a kiddie pool until rust is gone then neutralize with calcium carbonate(baking soda). Bike forums C&V covers the topic well.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast