Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    You guys see that XO-1 sell on eBay this week for $1600?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hi guys,
    I'm getting my wife's 1994 MB5 back together for my 12 year old daughter to use. Does anyone know for sure what size seat post they had on these bikes in 94? None of the posts I have laying around the garage fit?!?!?!

Thanks,
    -Rick

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicch95 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm getting my wife's 1994 MB5 back together for my 12 year old daughter to use. Does anyone know for sure what size seat post they had on these bikes in 94? None of the posts I have laying around the garage fit?!?!?!

Thanks,
    -Rick
    26.2mm according to the B'stone catalog.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    26.2mm according to the B'stone catalog.
    First place I looked! However, my 27.2 off my Specialized is even to small!!!!!! It's a mystery!

Got it.........29.2! Ordered up the parts to finish the rebuild for my daughter. Swapping out the long dead original Tange Struts fork with a Manitou I had around. Once I install the new handlebar, seat post, seat, and stem.......she'll be ready to go!
    Last edited by Cicch95; 12-09-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Powered by Pulvoron
    this is my MB4 with battle scars just got it back from my brother. I have some extra new parts that I will use to update.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Bridgestone Thread-bridgestone-mb4.jpg  

FilipinoMafia - Ohio Chapter

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My 1990 Bridgestone MB-1. I still have the original fork, stem, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    nice bike, just what i needed to see, I'm going to put shocks on mine.
    I look at that and see drop bars like an 87,(I turned my 91 into a 87 without even knowing someone had already done that). when i figure out the technology (and put the shocks on) I'll post a pic.
    i'll work on my grammar too, nah I left grammar in the ninth grade, good riddance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Wink

Official Bridgestone Thread-img_4753.jpgOfficial Bridgestone Thread-img_4754.jpgOfficial Bridgestone Thread-img_4755.jpg

1991 MB1

Just got it back together, after a big upgrade
    It is now 10x2 with a 11x34 cassette, still using my old XTR free hub, it's a mixture of XT, and XTR components, Easton stem, Crank Bothers Handle bar, Specialize Grips, and SQ Labs seat. I am building two new wheels, with XT hubs, and Mavic XC 717 rims

I am the original owner, and this is the 4th set of upgrades

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    My spokes came in Friday, my friend helped me lace up the wheels sundayOfficial Bridgestone Thread-michelins.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Official Bridgestone Thread-front-tire.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My '91 MB-1, which I'm actually looking to off load ONLY to get a larger frame, but damn it, it rides so good and I love the classic feel.
    Sigh. It was a respectable gift though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

'87 MB-1 Seatpost Size

I have an '87 MB-1 with a frozen seatpost. I'm afraid I'll have to ruin the stock post to get it out. Does anyone know what size seatpost I'll need to replace the stock SR MTE-300?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    original spec for the 89 mb-2 is the same model (26.8 for the 89) I don't think the seatpost model is necessarily size dependant (same model in any size) good luck with that. do you have the original cockpit? those are really nice. looking forward to seeing pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight View Post
    they're mostly cracked sitting in basement's

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thank you for the help, gigglez! I do have the original cockpit. With the exception of the front rim, saddle and tires everything appears original. I also think it's pretty sweet. I paid $150 for it a few weeks ago. Not sure what it's "worth", but it was money very well spent to me - I love this bike.

slow
    My '88, both '89s and my '90 MB-1s were all 27.2. Don't know if that was the case for the '87.

Nice you got the original cockpit. When we were selling those in our shop, most folks were dumping the drops in favor of flat bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks for the additional insight on the '88-'90 MB-1s, sgltrak. That helps.

I'm not sure how to attach an image to my posts (new to posting here), but here's a Flickr link to a picture of this bike:

https://flic.kr/p/XiB6DE

What do you guys think?

gobsmacked Moderator
    here ya go:

1987 Bridgestone MB-1 by Jordan Reed, on Flickr

We prefer driveside photos.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Appreciate it, girlonbike. And duly noted - makes perfect sense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    This may be sacrilegious to say, but all components aside, a raw frame, how different is a MB-4 from a same year MB-1? (assuming it's similar lug construction)
    is it just tubing quality?

Still searching for a larger frame, I really don't wanna get rid of my MB-1, but am not opposed to putting all that great hardware on a larger frame (if that'd even work).

Yeah, I'd lose the cool name, but if it gets me riding better/longer, it's worth it.

Thanks

Red eye Jedi
    ^ I don't think the MB4 was lugged. At least it wasn't on the 1988 model. Also, not positive, but I think only the top line models MB1, 2 and maybe 3's were made in Japan. I think the others were made in Taiwan or China or wherever.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    ^ I don't think the MB4 was lugged. At least it wasn't on the 1988 model. Also, not positive, but I think only the top line models MB1, 2 and maybe 3's were made in Japan. I think the others were made in Taiwan or China or wherever.
    Ah, that's affirmative I think. Just rechecked the craigslist ad photo, I had seen the lug under the top tube/seat post joint but now looking closer, nothing else, oh well.

I totally wasn't bike shopping during a 3 hour teleconference...

slow
    In 1989, the MB-1 was double butted Tange Prestige tubing and lugged construction. MB-2 & 3 were triple butted Ishwata tubing and lugged construction. MB-4 was tig welded triple butted Tange tubing cro-moly. MB-5 & 6 were straight gauge Tange cro-moly tubing. I'm pretty sure this was a similar lineup in 1988 and 1990, the other two years I was selling them new. Don't know about years outside of those without digging my catalogs out.

mtbr member
    - deleted -

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm trying to get my '87 MB-1 back to fully stock parts/components. I'm in search of an Araya RM-20 hard anodized front wheel and an SR MTE-300 seatpost. Once I have those, I believe I'll be all set. Anyone out there have these or know where I could find them? The seatpost is what's really giving me fits. I've found this one (SR MTE seatpost 27.0 Vintage Bicycle Road MTB Touring Spring 350mm New NOS | eBay), but I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for. That, and I'm not willing to drop $140 on it. I've found a few RM-20s on ebay, but they seem to be silver, not the dark gray that originally came on the bike. To see the bike I'm talking about, reference post #318 on this thread (above). Any help is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Hey, I just picked up an 86 bridgestone MB2. Original parts except the derailleur. It looks exactly like the pic in the 86 catalogue on Sheldon Browne,s Bridgestone page.
    Question...do I restore it, the paints got some wear, to what it is or do I paint the frame, etc. It is 15 speed with ori Shimano( bio-pace) chainring, has an 86 Wilderness Trail Bikes seat in excellent condition. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dg5228 View Post
    Hey, I just picked up an 86 bridgestone MB2. Original parts except the derailleur. It looks exactly like the pic in the 86 catalogue on Sheldon Browne,s Bridgestone page.
    Question...do I restore it, the paints got some wear, to what it is or do I paint the frame, etc. It is 15 speed with ori Shimano( bio-pace) chainring, has an 86 Wilderness Trail Bikes seat in excellent condition. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    No, you do not restore that bike. Just leave as is and be careful if you're doing any kind of serious riding on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    1987 Bridgestone MB-2

Tires are the original Ritcheys in great shape. I replaced the crappy foam grips. Everything else looks correct.

Official Bridgestone Thread-img_0442-794480.jpg

Official Bridgestone Thread-img_0444-733633.jpg

Official Bridgestone Thread-img_0443-797567.jpg

Official Bridgestone Thread-bridgestone-1987-17.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dammitjim View Post
    1987 Bridgestone MB-2

Tires are the original Ritcheys in great shape. I replaced the crappy foam grips. Everything else looks correct.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0442-794480.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	1169493

Name:	IMG_0444-733633.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	1169495

Name:	IMG_0443-797567.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	1169494

Name:	bridgestone-1987-17.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	1169496
    Nice find and the John Deere Color Scheme is rad on that beauty.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Another MB2 Fork Inquiry

1994 MB2 Fork

Can anyone provide axle to crown length for a stock rigid fork that came on the MB1 or early year MB2? This spec does not appear in the original catalogue and I can't seem to locate it anywhere oddly enough. For year 1994, I understood that only the MB2 and MB3 were equipped with a RockShox AND there were no modifications made to the frame geometry (i.e. NOT suspension corrected). I want to swap out the shock for a rigid fork so that fenders and a rack will fit on the unit. Here's what I approximately measured with the shock on:
    A to C 16" = 406 mm unweighted/uncompresssed though I suspect not much sag on this one
    Steer Tube Length 5.75" = 14 mm
    Head Tube Length 5" = 127 mm

I'm indifferent about locating a used or new fork at this juncture, BUT was wondering, if not suspicious, about how strong the new ones were (esp. Sunlite). Threaded or not, I may opt to mount it up as a unthreaded configuration.

Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234