Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    i remember info of 73/73 angles. The Riv Atlantis has double 72 though... curious as well.
    The larger sizes were 73/73. The smaller ones varied. with steeper STAs and shallower HTAs.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    '91 MB-0 Zip

Last edited by klasse; 11-19-2011 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Last edited by klasse; 11-19-2011 at 10:09 PM.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Did you manage to find one in your size?! Looks nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    seatpost looks to be about 6" too high if I recall Klasse's sizing criteria.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here's my decidedly more bluecollar '89 MB5. RapidRise with bacons, mmmmm

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not yet. This one I got on the Bay around 3 yrs ago. I got a few other parts along the way: the wheels, a nicer tire set, dust caps for the cranks, housing, and got the saddle cleaned. It's a real KLASSIC like you said and thanks for the props.

FB, i forgot to lower the post after it came off the stand, you got me! haha

a few more pics here: http://www.photobucket.com/91zip
    Last edited by klasse; 11-15-2011 at 11:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bacoes View Post
    Here's my decidedly more bluecollar '89 MB5. RapidRise with bacons, mmmmm
    Looks like more of a workhorse bike. I'd like to ride one with a nice rack

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Which models came with Koski forks? I had a MB-1 back in the day (1990 I think) w/ Koskis but I seldom see any others.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wrey View Post
    Which models came with Koski forks? I had a MB-1 back in the day (1990 I think) w/ Koskis but I seldom see any others.
    '89 and I'm not sure which other years if any.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I don't know how it rides. I hear mixed reviews but.. . i don't care. i just want an XO1.

edit: i should get a 650B Rawland. That would be smart. Mike sells those..
    I have a 650B Rawland RSogn. It's an excellent mountain bike. I ride it more than any of my other bikes.

mtbr member
    Do any of the Bridgestone experts out there know annual build counts for specific MB's?? In other words, how many MB1's were produced for each year?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    Do any of the Bridgestone experts out there know annual build counts for specific MB's?? In other words, how many MB1's were produced for each year?
    I'm no expert but I'll chime in that 1000 were made in 1993, according to the catalog: Bridgestone Bicycles 1993 Catalogue page 37

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    seems to imply just the bars....

here's a pic of L-R: Harry Winand, Gene Oberpriller, John Stamstad, Chris Kostman at the 24 Hours of Canaan.
    GeneO!

....and I thought these Bridgestones were a blast from the past. Went to HS with Gene. Very cool guy to hang out with.
    Last edited by Groundoggy; 12-01-2011 at 01:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

my 1991 MB-3

I got this '91 MB-3 a few years ago for $125. It was basically new. Still had the original tires that still had the tire mold nubbies on it, but they had dry rot and I replaced them with Continental Town and Country tires.

I have to say I really love this bike. It's a ball to ride on trails and roads. It's NOT light, but after a mile or so I don't notice its weight at all. It's got great balance so you can steer it with your butt--just shift your weight and scoot the back end around whenever you want to. None of the components is fancy, but everything works together really well, and never bothers. I never worry about hurting anything, which is a nice feature of a bike.

It rocks a lightweight Pletscher rack (and an über-sexy plastic lock clamp!), so it's great for trips to the store or whatnot.

Besides the above changes, I used Frame-Saver, and I added a Brooks B-17, Salsa bars, Oury grips, SRAM chain and Jag wires. I'm moving back to Chicago next week and think I'll use this bike as transportation much more (when weather permits), so may soon go to an all-weather saddle and a stronger rack. We'll see.

I think of this bike like a good dog--trouble-free and happy to do anything that gets us outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Bridgestone Thread-100_1933.jpg  

Official Bridgestone Thread-100_1934.jpg  

Official Bridgestone Thread-100_1935.jpg  

Last edited by Austin Dave; 12-01-2011 at 01:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Yep, saw that too. Curious if the same counts applied to all years?

Benser

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I road a Bridgestone and Specialized way back when. Was pleased to see that old Bridgestone bikes are still popular here in the Bay Area when I decided I wanted an old vintage bike to ride on the trail close to my house. I've collected 4 80s bikes for that purpose. Eventually my bike search took me to Rivendell. I road all their bikes and was most impressed by the mustache handlebar version of the A Homer Hilsen. I'm no expert, and haven't really ridden enough different bikes to really understand why it felt so right. Clearly, it's lighter than anything I've ridden and the componenets are better. But those things alone don't make the thing feel "right." Some discussion here about frame angles and the sweet looking XO-1, Is the 72 degree seat angle the secret that makes the Riv bikes so comfortable?

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sapo Rojo View Post
    I road a Bridgestone and Specialized way back when. Was pleased to see that old Bridgestone bikes are still popular here in the Bay Area when I decided I wanted an old vintage bike to ride on the trail close to my house. I've collected 4 80s bikes for that purpose. Eventually my bike search took me to Rivendell. I road all their bikes and was most impressed by the mustache handlebar version of the A Homer Hilsen. I'm no expert, and haven't really ridden enough different bikes to really understand why it felt so right. Clearly, it's lighter than anything I've ridden and the componenets are better. But those things alone don't make the thing feel "right." Some discussion here about frame angles and the sweet looking XO-1, Is the 72 degree seat angle the secret that makes the Riv bikes so comfortable?
    PICS.. for chris'sake!

mtbr member
    I don't know how it rides. I hear mixed reviews but.. . i don't care. i just want an XO1. edit: i should get a 650B Rawland. That would be smart. Mike sells those..
    I always understood the Rivendell Atlantis to be the natural, linear descendent of the XO-1. Perhaps slightly beefier tubing, but similar angles and 26" wheels, room for knobbys, and LUGS!

Official Bridgestone Thread-offroad-atlantis.jpg
    (stollen from web.)

Quote Originally Posted by El Sapo Rojo View Post
    Grant Peterson has talked a lot about his evolving theory regarding frame angles and comfort in the Rivendell Readers and on the Rive website. Some examples: here and here.

I'm not smart enough to understand how seat tube angle makes a difference though, so I shouldn't try to paraphrase too much (in other words, you should read these yourself), but I think he likes the seats located somewhat behind the bottom bracket because, in recreational riding, the resultant body position keeps you from having to support your weight with your hands, and it helps to "push" you back onto the seat instead of sliding forward.

I haven't allowed myself to fully ebrace or try his theorys, though. I still just try adjust my seat position based on what gives me the best balance of weight distribution for climbing, accelleration, and comfort - more or less the knee-over-pedal-spindle standard. On my Rivendell Rambouillet (predecessor to the Hilson you mentioned) I have my seat slammed forward, all the way to the rear of the rails. On my XO-1, I have it slammed all the way the other direction.

Somewhat related,(and relevant to the thread), here are some articles from the Rivendell Reader #32, Spring 2004, in which Grant talks about his time at Bridgestone. Enjoyable read with some insight into the bikes, the industry, and the formation of Rivendell.
    Official Bridgestone Thread-rr32bridgestonearticles001.jpg
    Official Bridgestone Thread-rr32bridgestonearticles002.jpg
    Official Bridgestone Thread-rr32bridgestonearticles003.jpg
    Official Bridgestone Thread-rr32bridgestonearticles004.jpg
    Official Bridgestone Thread-rr32bridgestonearticles005.jpg
    Official Bridgestone Thread-rr32bridgestonearticles006.jpg
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

slow
    Nice read. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    '92 MB-4 in metallic blue

Size: 38cm or 15"
    Frame: Tange CrMo, double butted
    Fork: CrMo, 1 1/8” oval tubes
    Headset: Ritchey Logic (black), Ritchey Cable Hanger (silver)
    Seatpost: Kalloy, 26.2mm
    Shifters: Shimano Deore DX thumbies, 7 speed
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
    Cranks: Mavic Sugino GP 110, 46x36x24T, 170mm
    Bottom Bracket: Sugino sealed, 122.5mm
    Pedals: Sakae Low Fat
    Toe Clips and Straps: black Specialized clips, grey straps
    Hubs: 32H Exage HB-RM50
    Cassette: Shimano 7sp, 13-30T
    Rims: Ritchey Vantage Expert
    Brakes: Dia-Compe X-1 cantis
    Brake Levers: Dia-Compe SS-5
    Handlebar: Ritchey Force, 6 degree bend, 540mm
    Stem: Ritchey Force
    Grips: Ritchey True, black
    Tires: Ritchey Megabite 2.1
    Saddle: Avocet Racing, vinyl

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Not a mountain bike, but its still a 1970's Bridgestone.

https://picasaweb.google.com/nov0798...eat=directlink

mtbr member
    Geno! Didn't he win the Chequamegon that year on the XO?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    This has been the bike I wanted the most and looked for the longest, and is the reason I ended up with a XO-1 and RB-1. This one is a re-paint, obviously. I didn't have many of the stock components, so I used Suntour XC-Pro components throughout... and I love it. It's been discussed here and here previously, so I won't get into details again.

Attachment 649819

Attachment 649820

Attachment 649821

Attachment 649822

Attachment 649823

Attachment 649824

Attachment 649825
    How do you like the Dirt Drops? I'm thinking of putting some on my Ritchey. And the shifters -- did those come stock on the MB-1 w/Dirt Drops? I'm not sure I want bar end shifters and these look like a good option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by puddletown View Post
    Geno! Didn't he win the Chequamegon that year on the XO?
    Chequamegon 40 Champions Mass start, point-to-point cross-country from Main Street Hayward to Telemark Resort in Cable.

Men

1993 Gene Oberpriller, Minneapolis, MN . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2:16:27

Yes he did! My favorite Gene O description from an old bike mag described him as the only racer out drinking 'til 1 slam dancing til 3 and racing at 9 am (or some order of the above).

Gene is definitely a different kind of animal. He always stuck out from the crowd and the only thing he loved as much as biking was partying. Dude was good times 24/7. Guarantee you that! Not surprising he excelled when conditions were s#!t. Gene O just really didn't give a f^@# as long as he was enjoying himself. He did a charity ride in Mpls a few years back and blew kisses to the crowd and the whole over the top shebang. A classic retro act.!

Ride strong Gene O!

Reporter's Notebook: Gene Oberpriller extended interview - Minneapolis News - The Blotter
    Last edited by Groundoggy; 12-28-2011 at 01:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Remember watching Gene flog the rest of the best in the Midwest at a NORBA race at Chestnut Mt in Galena, IL in 93 or 4. It poured through the entire race and I think he was the only one that made it up the monster climb all four laps on his bike. Nasty day for a mountain bike race.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Some nice bikes in this thread!
    Here is an '88 MB-3, size 53cm in Scarlet, nearly all stock

mtbr member
    Our baby daughter will be awake in a few hours and I really need to hit the sack but I had to read through all those scanned pages. Very interesting info
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Dear all,

I would be happy if I could participate in this thread.
    Although I have other vintage mtb's, I just finished to build a 1988 MB-3 and I am abolutely in love with "her". The ride is is quite wonderful, I just can't stop riding.
    The problem is that I did prefer to use other parts according to my taste (the original ones were in not so good shape) instead of the stock ones, so I know that with this I could be not so welcome to this group.
    Still, I would like to ask you, please, to post a picture to show you my Bridgestone. The frame is in immaculate condition. The geometry is fantastic.
    Please accept me,
    Thank you,
    Sergio
    Brazil

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagrange1 View Post
    Dear all,

I would be happy if I could participate in this thread.
    Although I have other vintage mtb's, I just finished to build a 1988 MB-3 and I am abolutely in love with "her". The ride is is quite wonderful, I just can't stop riding.
    The problem is that I did prefer to use other parts according to my taste (the original ones were in not so good shape) instead of the stock ones, so I know that with this I could be not so welcome to this group.
    Still, I would like to ask you, please, to post a picture to show you my Bridgestone. The frame is in immaculate condition. The geometry is fantastic.
    Please accept me,
    Thank you,
    Sergio
    Brazil
    Go for it man, hopefully no carbon fiber

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thank you.
    My Bridgestone pic URL is ready but, according to this Forum I just need to have a minimum of 10 message posts in order to be able to post a URL.
    Let me keep just talking for now.
    I enjoy all the Bridgestone pictures posted here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You are correct.
    Absolutely no carbon for these nice old machines (they just don't need it).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It is interesting how small is the diameter of the tubes from my 1988 MB-3 Bridgestone, comparing to the other cromoly bikes I have from the early 90's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If I understood correctly, a couple of more message posts and I will be able to post the link from my Bridgestone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The 1988 MB-3 has an interesting cable routing at the bottom bracket shell.

gobsmacked Moderator

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have now 10 posts. Thank you for accepting me.
    O.K. here it is. I remotely got this 1988 MB-3 frameset in Alabama about two years ago, for my daughter to use at the University. When I saw it during her graduation I did realize what I had in my hands. I saved the drivetrain and brakes (for its future maybe?) including the stem that is quite unique, and I installed some nice brand new parts that I had and I enjoy:

- STI shifter/brake levers, rear and front derailleur, chain: LX
    - crankset, front and rear hubs, cantilever brakes, 11-28 7-speed cassette: STX-RC

It took me the whole weekend to put it together (is there a better job ?)
    I just love the geometry. The size is perfect for me. The colour is beautiful. The riding is just a dream.

So, here it is my contribution to your nice initiative. I hope you guys like it.

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/...3SergioBRA.jpg

Sergio - Brazil
    (sorry again for disturbing the originality of this Bridgestone)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagrange1 View Post
    I have now 10 posts. Thank you for accepting me.
    O.K. here it is. I remotely got this 1988 MB-3 frameset in Alabama about two years ago, for my daughter to use at the University. When I saw it during her graduation I did realize what I had in my hands. I saved the drivetrain and brakes (for its future maybe?) including the stem that is quite unique, and I installed some nice brand new parts that I had and I enjoy:

- STI shifter/brake levers, rear and front derailleur, chain: LX
    - crankset, front and rear hubs, cantilever brakes, 11-28 7-speed cassette: STX-RC

It took me the whole weekend to put it together (is there a better job ?)
    I just love the geometry. The size is perfect for me. The colour is beautiful. The riding is just a dream.

So, here it is my contribution to your nice initiative. I hope you guys like it.

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/...3SergioBRA.jpg

Sergio - Brazil
    (sorry again for disturbing the originality of this Bridgestone)
    Cool bike, Sergio, though it looks like you could use a size up. If you look back in this thread you will see a larger '88 MB-3 in red w/all original parts. I recently sold it on eBay - using those very same pictures Also sold the MB-4 using the same pics! LOL

The bike rides very very solid, I know what you mean! Enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    And here's my sweet little '90 MB-3 with DX, size 50cm:

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A 20.5" 1989 mb-1 from the original owner. Full XT group, Koski fork.

Dave (klasse) kindly contacted the seller and is keeping the bike for me for awhile. Thanks Dave!

Will post more pics later when it arrives.

gobsmacked Moderator
    that's my favorite Bridgestone.

slow
    that's my favorite Bridgestone.

mtbr member
    Seconded.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Can you guys and gals school me on someting please? What does MB-1, MB-2, MB-5 mean?

slow
    MB=Mountain Bike
    # was where it stood in the Bridgestone lineup, starting at number 1 for the best model (except 1990 and 1991, when there was a top of the line model called the MB-0 or MB-Zip)

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    Can you guys and gals school me on someting please? What does MB-1, MB-2, MB-5 mean?
    Let me google that for you

mtbr member
    Thank, your a plethora of information.

But thankfully someone else was nice enough to give me a simplified answer, rather than the one I've come to excpect from you.

gobsmacked Moderator
    You are very welcome! Glad I can help.

mtbr member
    So I take it that an MB-5 is not so hot?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast