Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    information leafblower
    Oct 2004
    BOTM = bike of the month on a certain retrobike site per chance?

and hollister that is very very nice, but put some gears on it ;-)
    i've got one inch, who needs more?

(wanted small or medium 93 or earlier race lite, must have bonded TT cable guides)

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by 95bonty
    BOTM = bike of the month on a certain retrobike site per chance?

and hollister that is very very nice, but put some gears on it ;-)
    i'll put gears on it when i find my holy grail.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13815

vote!
    looking for 20-21" P team

Group Hug Participant

One for the masses

I'm fairly new to the Vintage Board but regularly visited this here thread. About 2 weeks ago I posted looking for ideas on a fork. My plan was to "pimp" my Bontrager for cyclocross on somewhat of a budget instead of just buying a CX bike (and actually considered selling it to purchase said CX bike ). Well, here it is! I really enjoyed building this and tonight got her out on a long overdue singletrack voyage. Kind of felt light hooking up with an old friend. I forget how fricken fast this bike is. Should be good for the CX season. Enjoy the pics!

1. OG Race Lite
    2. Love the Judy, not.
    3. Fully rigid
    4. Silver bullet
    5. New stuff I'd only buy for an old bike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

FTM
    here's my Race Lite set up for 'cross. Worked quite well but got tired of switching bits around on my mountain bike each cross race so I've got a dedicated 'cross rig for this season.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    here's my Race Lite set up for 'cross. Worked quite well but got tired of switching bits around on my mountain bike each cross race so I've got a dedicated 'cross rig for this season.

is there a 700c wheel upfront? if i had a bontrager i would turn it into a 69er.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

FTM
    is there a 700c wheel upfront? if i had a bontrager i would turn it into a 69er.
    front and back, I was racing fixed so no rear brake needed, but you could run Paul's Moto-Lite V brake in back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    if i had a bontrager i would turn it into a 69er.

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Group Hug Participant

Pink, that hawt!

How does it feel on the run-ups? I was having difficulties getting my Race Lite up and on my shoulder last night while practicing. Seems the triangle's a little too small. Of course, I also had a 15 pound camel back on as well.

mtbr member

New question here. a couple of questions...

until i saw the 2-piece seatstays i thought i was looking at my '96 privateer, which has the same color and graphics ('cept for the addition of the band around the seattube which says "privateer comp").

so i assume those aren't the original decals?

along those lines, i thought that the race/racelites w/ the segmented stays all had the older square-panel decals-- is this true, or did some get the later chevron style?

(guess i don't have any photos handy from before i removed most of the decals, but you can kinda see where they were):

privy.jpg

Last edited by gotdirt; 09-14-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    until i saw the 2-piece seatstays i thought i was looking at my '96 privateer, which has the same color and graphics ('cept for the addition of the band around the seattube which says "privateer comp").

along those lines, i thought that the race/racelites w/ the segmented stays all had the older square-panel decals-- is this true, or did some get the later chevron style?

We stopped using the 2 pc seat stays in late '94 or early '95. I am not sure when they stopped using the square decals, but I am sure it was before I started working there in '94.
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    I was racing fixed
    funny, both bonty track bikes i know of are pink.

internal lugged brazed

Group Hug Participant
    The yellow was my third set (ordered in '98-99?). As far as I can remember, the origial blue decals were identical.

Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt

(guess i don't have any photos handy from before i removed most of the decals, but you can kinda see where they were):

privy.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Some people are still keeping their Bonty's rolling and I keep getting asked for this...

Here's the link to the Bontrager PDF catalog:

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/bontrager.html

Enjoy everyone.

Obi...

fyi: "privvy's been sold, had no space for it, but it's with a good owner."
    That's sweet, but is there one in English? (The last one, I mean)
    Last edited by kenjihara; 11-11-2007 at 11:34 PM.

mtbr member
    By the way, does anyone know if Keith keeps a weblog somewhere? He seems to be a good writer / communicator.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by kenjihara
    By the way, does anyone know if Keith keeps a weblog somewhere? He seems to be a good writer / communicator.
    Years ago he had a "rants" section on bontrager.com that was the pre-blog equivalent of a blog. I'm not aware of any place where he's doing this type of things any more.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    He posts occasional diaries of racing exploits on cyclingnews.com, but it has less of the technical stuff than the old rants - presumably so it doesn't look too much like an advert

Retro on Steroids
    I was doing my day job of moving pianos, and one of my customers had this bike in his garage. I asked him about it, and it was obvious he didn't know much about Bontrager.

Turns out that the bike belonged to a high school classmate of mine, who gave it to the current owner when he upgraded a few years ago. I told him that if he decides to unload it, to call me.

It's really light, feels about like my P-21. The former owner changed from Shimano shifters to GripShift.

rye
    JRA
    I just put my race lite up for sale http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=13069&cat=4 the photo's didn't post up...
    asdf

rye
    JRA
    For those who don't know I'm the HRS / Rock Lobster Cyclo-Cross team Mechanic and I've been working for Paul Sadoff / Rock Lobster Cycles on Mondays.

I was helping Paul clean up the shop today and found a box of Bontrager Anti-Chain suck devices he picked up when he bought all the old Bonty tubing from the Santa-Cruz plant...

Need an original one? We got it, $15+ shipping. Call Paul or e-mail/Private Message me.

Rye
    asdf

Steel is Real!
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rye

Need an original one? We got it, $15+ shipping. Call Paul or e-mail/Private Message me.

Rye
    YHPM
    Wanted: Bontrager TI LITE in medium please

mtbr member
    I have been told from Trek that there are no more Bontrager decals to be had from them. I'm trying to have some made, but it's kind of expensive to get decent ones due to minimum quantity requirements. Do any of you guys want to maybe pick up a set for your own restoration and help to defray the cost? I'm not sure what it's going to cost yet exactly... I'm having them done at a professional shop and I'm still deciding what color to do. I'm thinking to get just a set of white lettering with black outline and white darts at the ends on a clear background, but I might do silver lettering and black outline on a white outline... pm me if you're interested. I have to do the whole batch in one color, and they won't be pre-cut, but other than that they should be pretty nice.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by kenjihara
    I have been told from Trek that there are no more Bontrager decals to be had from them. I'm trying to have some made, but it's kind of expensive to get decent ones due to minimum quantity requirements. Do any of you guys want to maybe pick up a set for your own restoration and help to defray the cost? I'm not sure what it's going to cost yet exactly... I'm having them done at a professional shop and I'm still deciding what color to do. I'm thinking to get just a set of white lettering with black outline and white darts at the ends on a clear background, but I might do silver lettering and black outline on a white outline... pm me if you're interested. I have to do the whole batch in one color, and they won't be pre-cut, but other than that they should be pretty nice.

Try contacting Gary Prange of Screen Specialty Shop in North Carolina. He did the Bontrager decals in the past and may have more. The caveat is that he genially only sells them to professional painters for restorations to insure that "counterfeit" bikes aren't being made by applying the decals.

http://www.sssink.com/
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Bontrager Restoration Project

This is a project that I have been wanting to do since I got the bike in 97-98. This is a 1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp (Pre-Trek).It was a full XT build and back in the day ran $1699.00. I received the Frame,Fork and Seat Post from the Bontrager rep. Since the time I got it the paint poped off the chain stays and other places on the frame.

Back in the summer I got the interest to do something with the bike other then hanging on the wall. So I needed to pull all the parts off the bike and find someone to paint the bike. I saw a post on the forum from berrieram of her new painted ride. I made contact with Vince and we where on our way with this project.

I could not find any Bontrager decals for this bike and I tried two online bike decal companies. One did not provide the service and the other would never email or call me back. If you do a project like this PM me and I will let you know who they where so you don't waste your time with them. But I did find a sign shop down at FT Pickett where I work that could do the work and It took about a week to get it done. Learning point number one. Better to take the bike to the sign shop first so they can get all the sizing correct, my mistake.

I just received the bike back from Vince yesterday and what a great job The paint job is better looking than when I got the frame brand new. The red stripes are hand painted and what a great job. Here is a link that shows the bike in its different stages http://vincecarman.com/frame6/. The pictures will not open up to a full view, Vince will be updating the link and I will post the new one so you can see the picyures better.

I will keep updating this post until The project is done.

Before
    Bontranger at the Start.jpg

Damage
    000_0046.jpg

Repaint
    Picture.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikewright
    This is a project that I have been wanting to do since I got the bike in 97-98. This is a 1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp (Pre-Trek).It was a full XT build and back in the day ran $1699.00.
    enjoy it...

one point of clarification-- by definition the privateer line is post-trek, as the waterloo production facility allowed KB to offer this frame at that pricepoint.

(and fwiw, yours was a tad cheaper than mine-- if memory serves, i paid $1800 for mine in NYC).

-

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have an orange Bontrager Race that I love, but I've always liked the cherry red color more but could never find one back in 1998 so I settled on the orange.

Now I'm thinking of getting my bike powercoated cherry red, exactly like Keith had it.

Question: I know nothing about paint jobs, will the powercoating shop I take it to know how to match the original cherry red color? Is there a specific paint or shade that Bontgrager used back then?

Thanks for any input.

velocipede technician
    and so it begins

the new Gilbert Grape
    That's a unique seatpost binder setup. And are the gussets non-standard too?
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    head tube gussets lack the cutout along the edges. monostay is capped

seller says he worked at the factory, explained that the seatpost binder was done as a result of worries about muddy conditions(faces front)
    Last edited by hollister; 04-15-2008 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Congrats, I know you have been looking for a looooong time.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A
    Congrats, I know you have been looking for a looooong time.
    understatement

and thanks

now, who's got a silver no logo...

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    understatement

and thanks

and you've got a classy grey. timeless. bonty fork? m900 cranks? salsa stem stem? suntour post? phil wood wheels?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    it's clearly a fake...

-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    and you've got a classy grey. timeless. bonty fork? m900 cranks? salsa stem stem? suntour post? phil wood wheels?

Sounds like a perfect start there. Glad you finally landed one, Hollister.

mtbr member
    I realized I havent posted my Bonty to the Official Bonty thread,
    so here we go A '93/'94 Race Lite, all M900 XTR/ Nukeproof
    SuperFly Hubs/ Sun CR18 rims, I've swapped out the stem for
    a Salsa since these pics. This is a rider and I'm very pleased,
    not whippy at all.

At Keysville '08

"I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11
    I realized I havent posted my Bonty to the Official Bonty thread,
    so here we go A '93/'94 Race Lite, all M900 XTR/ Nukeproof
    SuperFly Hubs/ Sun CR18 rims, I've swapped out the stem for
    a Salsa since these pics. This is a rider and I'm very pleased,
    not whippy at all.

At Keysville '08

nice steerer tube! and a sweet looking bike

VRC Illuminati
    understatement

and thanks

I do.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Even though I posted a big thread of my own about the restoration on this, I guess I should add it to the "official" thread...to make it official? '93 Race Light, newly painted and re-built this spring, details can be found here: The Un-Veiling: My Bontrager restoration is complete.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My first. 92 Race?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

The finished Project

Just finished my project bike. Going to take it on a 50 mile ride on the C&O Canal this weekend. Here is the list of the set-up and pic's

96 Bontrager Privateer Comp frame 18"
    Paint by Vince
    Decals by sign shop at FT. Pickett
    Face & chase of the BB and headtube-CED
    Crank- old Bontrager 8 speed
    Chain Stay- Carbon IRD
    Front D- Old top pull XT
    Rear D- Old 9.0 ESP 8 speed
    Wheels- Cane Creek Used
    Front Fork- Custom steel Waltworks
    Headset- 1"Black Chris King
    Stem- 1" Kelly
    Bar- Ritchey WCS Raiser
    Brakes- Avid 7's with FR 5 Levers
    Shifters- NOS 9.0 ESP 8 speed
    Grips- WTB Dual Compound
    Housing- Jagwire Black
    Seat Clamp- Salsa Black
    Seat Post- Thompson
    Saddle- NOS WTB SSK
    Chain- Sram 8 speed
    [ATTACH]P4090006.JPG[/ATTACH]
    P4090004.JPG

clueless

ciao
    flo

M_2
    Just like a paper tiger

My humble addition...

Well, I finally go my '96 Privateer back together. I have been riding it a lot lately. THought I needed to finally get some pics up...What do ya think I should do with this thing? Definitely needs a paint job, though...
    "the two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity" -Harlan Ellison

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by M_2
    Well, I finally go my '96 Privateer back together. I have been riding it a lot lately. THought I needed to finally get some pics up...What do ya think I should do with this thing? Definitely needs a paint job, though...

Don't paint it, keep riding it.

Good for you for going full rigid!
    -eric-

mtbr member

One more...

As posted before separately here,

1990 Bontrager Race

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury
    As posted before separately here,

1990 Bontrager Race

beauty. as always.

now somebody (coughhollistercough) needs to show us a recent Santa Cruz built acquisition...

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed

now somebody (coughhollistercough) needs to show us a recent Santa Cruz built acquisition...
    still waiting on a tracking #

(word travels fast on the VRC underground)

mtbr member
    still waiting on a tracking #

(word travels fast on the VRC underground)

hey, this will be your first complete vintage bike?

Shipping? I think that guy is pretty close to you. Or at least he used to be.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    hey, this will be your first complete vintage bike?

Shipping? I think that guy is pretty close to you. Or at least he used to be.
    don't worry

I'm also getting another project, to maintain the balance of the force

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Race Lite

Here's my '96 Race Lite. She's stripped at the moment awaiting a new coat of paint but should be up and running again soon.
    • File Type: jpg 20.jpg (444.4 KB, 1111 views)
    • File Type: jpg 21.jpg (453.9 KB, 1072 views)

What would Tesco do?
    Quote Originally Posted by haggis1978
    Here's my '96 Race Lite. She's stripped at the moment awaiting a new coat of paint but should be up and running again soon.
    Holy seatpost Batman!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Bontrager Ti Lite, Pimped

I finally finished this build. It's all back to 8 speed but I did make some upgrades (wheels). Other than that, though, it's all the NOS I've been collecting over the past few years.

Frame: Bontrager Ti Lite
    Fork: '98 SID - Hippie Tech full rebuild - the plushest 63mm ever. . .
    Rims: Mavic 821
    Hubs: Chris King
    Quick Release: Salsa
    Tires: Hutchinson Python
    Pedals: Time Ti
    Crank: Cook Bros. F
    Chain: Wipperman 8 Speed
    Chainrings: Moonhead Machine Works (RIP)
    Rear Cogs: XTR 8 Speed
    Bottom Bracket: Square
    Front Derailleur: XTR
    Rear Derailleur: Paul
    Shifters: XTR 8 speed
    Handlebars: Bontrager Crow Bar Ti
    Grips: Pedros Dice Vice
    Stem: Moots 100mm
    Headset: Chris King
    Brake set: XTR
    Brake levers: XTR
    Saddle: Selle Italia
    Seat Post: Syncros Ti
    Seat Post Clamp: Salsa
    Paint: Raw (Brushed) Ti
    Size: L
    Serial #: Yes
    Place of Origin: Washington State to Santa Cruz as I recall. . . .

REALLY?
    I have no pics, but mine was deep dark purple, with silver panel stickers.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Exaggerated member
    Quote Originally Posted by floibex

ciao
    flo
    That is gorgeous Flo. Great use of colour and I bet it's a treat to ride.
    Alex

clueless
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk
    That is gorgeous Flo. Great use of colour and I bet it's a treat to ride.
    thanks alex yes, its a great ride. brought memories back.
    was a 3 night built before a small classic gathering in southern germany near bad urach, home of magura brakes.

by bonelesschicken

one of two existing pure rohloff ritcheys

more photo's here. we rode some of the magura testing trails and passed nearly all photo spots you'll find in the 2008 magura catalog.

more of the riding area, swabian moutains, here

by reiner kuenstle

ciao
    flo

Hit The Road Cyclery
    funny, both bonty track bikes i know of are pink.
    The only one I know of is (was) black. It belonged to Brian Whitcomb who rode professionally on the track back in the mid-90's, but I have no idea what he's up to now, or where this bike is. It's kind of hard to see in this photo, but it's the only one I have of his Bonty track bike. I took this photo at the Northbrook, Illinois velodrome back in 1994:

Last edited by -Anomie-; 08-06-2008 at 10:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Hi Guys,
    Here are a couple of bad shots of my "92 OR Lite. I bought it new in "92 and spoke directly with Keith when I made the order. Originally had it built up with a Manitou fork, Suntour XC Pro Grease Guard components, Sram Grip Shift and Nuke Proof Hubs. I've since changed out the Manitou for a Marzocchi and upgraded the drive train and rear wheel to Sram rear mech and Mavic Cross Max UST Wheel. Only a couple of blemishes on it. A small ding on one of the seat stays from towing the kids in a Burley trailer and a scratch on the top tube that needs to be sanded and touched up. Could use some new decals too.

Also, anybody know where the serial number is on one of these. I looked the other night and couldn't find it. I did find all of the original paperwork and receipt. Funny, the Manitou fork was only a $35 upgrade.

mtbr member
    Here's my 1994 Medium Race w/1997 Marzocchi Z2 fork (65mm travel)

The bike now has XTR M900 cranks on it.

Marzocchi still has parts for these old forks -- I bought this one via Ebay and sent it to them in Valencia, CA where they replaced the seals.

I wanted one of these bikes for a LONG time... I had the pleasure of interviewing at Bontrager Cycles in early fall of 1994. I slept on KB's couch for a weekend and basically hung out at the shop, went riding, and ate Mexican food the whole time. Best job interview I ever had, even if I didn't get the job in the end! I found this frame on the local CL in 1999 for $200 and snapped it up.

Now I'm looking for a Large Race or Privateer frame...

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgskoop
    Here's my 1994 Medium Race w/1997 Marzocchi Z2 fork (65mm travel)

The bike now has XTR M900 cranks on it.

Marzocchi still has parts for these old forks -- I bought this one via Ebay and sent it to them in Valencia, CA where they replaced the seals.

I wanted one of these bikes for a LONG time... I had the pleasure of interviewing at Bontrager Cycles in early fall of 1994. I slept on KB's couch for a weekend and basically hung out at the shop, went riding, and ate Mexican food the whole time. Best job interview I ever had, even if I didn't get the job in the end! I found this frame on the local CL in 1999 for $200 and snapped it up.

Now I'm looking for a Large Race or Privateer frame...

Great story, neat bike.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Anybody care to take a guess at what the deal with this frame on Ebay is?!? Seller claims it's a NOS Race Lite, and while it does appear to be an XL Race Lite, there's only one set of water-bottle cage bolts (and those are missing the threaded inserts), plus the paint and decals are wrong (looks like BMX decals?). Is it maybe a Nontrager?

Certified Bike Junkie
    Anybody care to take a guess at what the deal with this frame on Ebay is?!? Seller claims it's a NOS Race Lite, and while it does appear to be an XL Race Lite, there's only one set of water-bottle cage bolts (and those are missing the threaded inserts), plus the paint and decals are wrong (looks like BMX decals?). Is it maybe a Nontrager?

For what its worth, I've dealt with that seller a couple times in the last few months, and he does not see to be the type to intentionally misrepresent an item.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

What would Tesco do?
    Pretty sure it's not a Nontrager, Paul would never let anything roll out of his shop that wasn't completed. When the Bontrager shop closed up there were probably lots of frames sitting around in various stages of completion. My bet would be this is one of those frames.

I like the green color.

VRC Illuminati
    I've met that seller in person and he is genuinely a stand up guy.

I'm not all that surprised that a Bontrager would slip out of the shop with some unfinished details. Could be a later SC frame and they rushed it. One that was left over that got different paint and whatever decals were close.
    It could even be a respray for all we know.

No shortage of Bontrager anomalies out there.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What rumpfy and muddybuddy said......I've bought a few things from the seller; great to deal with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I've met that seller in person and he is genuinely a stand up guy.

I'm not all that surprised that a Bontrager would slip out of the shop with some unfinished details. Could be a later SC frame and they rushed it. One that was left over that got different paint and whatever decals were close.
    It could even be a respray for all we know.

Absolutely. I have one that came out of the shop after production had finished. It has a one-off paint and came without bottle mounts as well. The story I heard was that the some employees that were let go were sent off with free frames. Some of these got one-off paint jobs. I gathered it wasn't really an official thing, just something one of the welders and the paint guy put together.

I bought mine around this time at a used bike shop in SC. I heard the story from the guy who ran the shop but it was confirmed by a Bontrager employee when I went by and asked if I could get bottle mounts.

Still, could be a respray, ask for photos that would confirm whether a BB or HS has been installed. Could confirm a respray.

cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
    What rumpfy and muddybuddy said......I've bought a few things from the seller; great to deal with.

Good to know. Just for the record, I didn't mean to imply that I was questioning the integrity of the seller -- that's definitely a Bontrager frame, IMHO -- just wondering about the story behind the bike, in light of the unusual paint and the incomplete bottle cage mount.

Sounds like it may very well be one of the "closing-shop" frames!

Thanks for the insights!

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy

Hit The Road Cyclery
    The fact that it has one piece seat stays leads me to believe it's at a post-Trek frame, and probably one of the last ones based on what others have said above. Still nice, and my size...

mtbr member
    here is my old faithful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beewee
    here is my old faithful
    Nice -- what fork is that?

mtbr member
    Check out this nice Bontrager 69er hack!

mtbr member
    Nice -- what fork is that?
    I had Curtis Inglis (Retrotec) make me a "Bontrager" specific 1" threadless fork for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

The age-old Bonty fork question

Hi all,
    Just discovered this forum. Nice to "meet" other Bonty fans. I'm in the process of replacing the Judy on my Race Lite. I'm considering a White Brothers Magic 80 with a custom a/c to match the fork-to-crown length on the Judy. However, needless to say the fork doesn't match the Bontrager 1.25 (32mm) rake. It has 36mm rake (offset). I know I'm not the first to face this dilemma, so can someone weigh in on how (or if) the handling is changed when increasing the off-set? Should I worry about 4mm?
    cheers,
    Fred

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredlf
    Hi all,
    Just discovered this forum. Nice to "meet" other Bonty fans. I'm in the process of replacing the Judy on my Race Lite. I'm considering a White Brothers Magic 80 with a custom a/c to match the fork-to-crown length on the Judy. However, needless to say the fork doesn't match the Bontrager 1.25 (32mm) rake. It has 36mm rake (offset). I know I'm not the first to face this dilemma, so can someone weigh in on how (or if) the handling is changed when increasing the off-set? Should I worry about 4mm?
    cheers,
    Fred
    4mm is virtually nothing -- I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you able to get the White Bros fork with a 1-inch steerer?!?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

1" steerer

4mm is virtually nothing -- I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you able to get the White Bros fork with a 1-inch steerer?!?
    Yes I am! It has to be custom directly through White Bros. so you have to pay full (!) retail plus an extra $50 for the custom work. I guess I'm going to go for it. Anyone wanna buy a blown Judy with the Bonty 1.25 crown?

Thanks for the answer. I suspected as much, but I'm so nervous about changing the ride of this bike. It just feels so damn right. I swear on good days it feels like the bike just disappears beneath me and I'm just floating through the woods. On bad days, it doesn't matter what I ride...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    PM'd you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bikes are still going, got a small rust hole in the back of the races seat tube. Don't think it is an issue and have cleaned it to stop it getting worse, mud had come down the easton seatpost and collected on the bottle cage mount bolt.

got a set of Englund cartridge Black Crown Judies and a set of original silver on white stickers. Just got to figure out what to do with them. Ithink the race(red one) needs a repaint as it is looking tired.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Vintage Bontrager Race for sale

I have four Bontragers for sale. Call me at 831-435-9376. I also have Bontrager B-dot stickers,complete frame sticker kits and Lapel pins. Go here to have a look

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...=27680&cat=500

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Smile Bontrager info needed

I'm new here and see that there are a number of Bontrager people that are familiar with some of the earlier Bontrager OR bikes.
    I have a picture of the bike and since I am not familiar with this forum, I hope I have attached them properly. I have had this bike for a couple years, I have not ridden it on trails, mostly street riding and it is in excellent condition. I'm interested in knowing where I'd find the serial number, I've looked in the usual places and there is nothing. I'd love to know when it might have been fabricated. Any one know anything about this bike?

Bontrager BikeRR.jpg

BrakeRR.jpg

Chain, Cranks RR.jpg

Thanks for the help.
    RagaMuffin

mtbr member
    Heh. Just saw that one on Ebay earlier today. The serial number should be stamped on the inside of the left rear dropout. Look for a four-digit number.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You're right, it is on eBay! What do you think it is worth? Beginning to think it was built in 1990. I saw a few pages back a copy of a sales brochure that that describes my bike to a "T". Beginning to think I better not let it go, at least not now.

mtbr member
    Your bike is a 1993 or 1994, based on what frame details I can make out, and the components (e.g., that black LX derailleur was produced starting in 1993, I think).

What's it worth? That's a tough one, since the bike is an XS -- it's either going to be too small for most, or just the right size for one lucky person!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by RagaMuffin
    You're right, it is on eBay! What do you think it is worth? Beginning to think it was built in 1990. I saw a few pages back a copy of a sales brochure that that describes my bike to a "T". Beginning to think I better not let it go, at least not now.

Please read the stickys at the top of this forum.

IMO, it won't sell for much.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ok, I'm new here, different type of board for me, what did I do wrong please?

Certified Bike Junkie
    Ok, I'm new here, different type of board for me, what did I do wrong please?

To put it simply, it is generally frowned upon to ask the value of something you intend to sell. Especially an item that is currently listed on ebay. It basically comes of looking like you are calling attention to your ad which is against forum rules, unless you pay for a classified ad on the forum.

The reason your bike will probably not sell for much, is that mid 90s Bontys dont seem to make big money to begin with, and the very small size means that it would fit few adults and it will probably be too expensive and too large to be a kid's bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That was not my intention to draw attention to a possible sale. I was instead directed to this web site by a buyer on eBay who thought this bike might be indeed of more value than I realized which means that I would instead, keep the bike for my son's future use.

Thank you for that info though, I will remember it.
    R

mtbr member
    What the heck is going on with that stem?

Bontragers are simply not made anymore. The one you have will be a total "find" for someone small. Keep it, as it will only go up in value, but it's not going to make you Daddy Warbucks. But, it will make one heck of a bike for your son!

Since you are here, look at the Official Bontrager thread. That will give you an education of sorts on the bike. Yours looks like a pre-trek california version, more desirable than the trek "privateers". if it's a race -lite version, it's even more so. Look to see if the head tube is machined, indicating a "lite" model.

The parts on your bike are not top shelf, but that frame is nice!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for that info, I have to figure out how to tell if it is machined or not, I'll let you know.
    R

Certified Bike Junkie
    Who knows? If you get a couple VRC midgets in a bidding war you might make out pretty well.
    Last edited by muddybuddy; 12-01-2008 at 02:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007

serial # help please

I have a Bonty frame with the serial # 9481, stamped on the rear dropouts,,,,,,,,,,any ideas on what year it might be? i'll try to post a few fotos soon
    thanks

VRC Illuminati
    Serial numbers don't mean much on Bontragers.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    1993 Race Lite. It was originally built with a nice selection of 90's parts...full M737 XT, Bontrager fork, original Bontrager stem and seat post, Syncros cranks, etc, etc. I worked in a bike shop in college and bought all the cool stuff I could afford. I was an idiot and sold off most of that stuff along with 3 more sets of 7spd XT thumbies, a couple sets of barely used XT cranks, a couple sets of XT cantis, a bunch of XT 7spd cassettes, another Race Lite frame, 2 bontrager forks, etc. I sold a big box of killer parts a few years ago when I got out of cycling and focused on family and work. It was the right choice at the time, but I wish I had kept all that stuff! Fortunately I kept this frame and a few parts! The plan is to sell of the newer stuff...mostly M950/952 XTR, Thompson, etc and build it back with early 90's XT/XTR.

Here it is today:

93 Race Lite 2.JPG

Here are the wheels that are going back on it. Fortunately I kept these! I laced up a set of M737 XT hubs to an original set of Bontrager/Weinmann BXC red and blue dot rims and American Classic old skewers. Still nice and true after all these years.

Orig Bonti XT Wheels.JPG

And yes, I know my top tube decal is backwards!
    Last edited by pint; 12-03-2008 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=pint]1993 Race Lite. It was originally built with a nice selection of 90's parts...full M737 XT, Bontrager fork, original Bontrager stem and seat post, Syncros cranks, etc, etc. I worked in a bike shop in college and bought all the cool stuff I could afford. I was an idiot and sold off most of that stuff along with 3 more sets of 7spd XT thumbies, a couple sets of barely used XT cranks, a couple sets of XT cantis, a bunch of XT 7spd cassettes, another Race Lite frame, 2 bontrager forks, etc. I sold a big box of killer parts a few years ago when I got out of cycling and focused on family and work. It was the right choice at the time, but I wish I had kept all that stuff! Fortunately I kept this frame and a few parts! The plan is to sell of the newer stuff...mostly M950/952 XTR, Thompson, etc and build it back with early 90's XT/XTR.

Thats gonna be alot of fun. I actually still ride that Marzocchi on one of my bonti's and I find that they are much better than forks from other manufacturers that were on the market at the time.
    Last edited by datasurfer; 12-01-2008 at 11:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Pint, I have the same frame. At least in a medium, same wheels too. Amazing how well they have held up after all these years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Do you happen to know exactly how old this frame is? Was yours purchased as a complete bike?
    R

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Do you happen to know exactly how old this frame is? Was yours purchased as a complete bike?
    R
    Mine was around a 1996. It came with a complete XT group and a Judy. The Judy has the black Bontrager crown. The seatpost and stem were Bontrager house brand. Bontrager / San-Marco saddle. Bontrager grips and bar ends.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you go back to page 7 there is a brochure from 1990 which show my bike exactly. I was thrilled to find that. Mine had been in a box for a number of years and was then given to me unassembled. I had it assembled and rode it on the street for a short time. It is a great bike but I'm realizing I am not able to ride the rough trails any more.
    R

mtbr member
    If you go back to page 7 there is a brochure from 1990 which show my bike exactly. I was thrilled to find that.
    R
    Nope, yours is newer than a 1990...and it is a race lite (able to see the scalloped tubing on the headtube on your pictures on eBay)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What makes you say it is newer? Just curious since the brochure has the same bike appearance, components as well.
    R

mtbr member
    What makes you say it is newer? Just curious since the brochure has the same bike appearance, components as well.
    R
    http://www.eandsweb.com/me/bontrager/

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thank you, that was very helpful. Mine is indeed, according to your pictures, either a Race or Race Lite. Interesting how it has the OR on the decal though. Still is a very nice frame and is excellent condition, no scratches or gouges and decals are perfect.
    R

VRC Illuminati
    Still is a very nice frame and is excellent condition, no scratches or gouges and decals are perfect.
    R
    Mediocre parts, awkward build.
    But if you find a short Bontrager lover, you've got a chance. Almost better off selling as a frame/fork.
    -eric-

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast