Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

a not very retro race

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    This one belongs to my brother.

Still brand new, and too small for me.....
    .....where does your brother live?!

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

1998 Privateer S

Here it is in all its orange and aqua glory! Upgraded to XT deraillers. Just aquired a race Lite frame, so I am probably selling the Privateer. Drop me an email if you're interested in it. pmleblanc AT mac DOT com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Holy Chromoly!!
    Got an intersting lead to a Bontrager Ti Lite last week, from a friend of mine. I emailed the owner/seller of the frame to ask about further details. The add told it had a crack and he didn't want a lot for it. It took some emails back and fort before I decided to pick it up.

So; here's my second Bontrager;

As said; the frame has a crack. The guy I bought it from, was the second owner. I asked him if he ever had ridden it with a short seatpost. He didn't, but looking at the crack leads me to think that either he or the first owner used a too short seatpost.

I was not in the market for such a frame, let alone one with a crack. But I can tell you this; the price was this good, I just couldn't leave it there. Had to take it. Plans are already running through my head of having this frame fixed and completely refinished. The welding will be done by someone capable of doing such a procedure. Finishing will be done by myself I guess. As with some of my other frames, this will be a long-term project.

This is my second Bontrager... and ironically both have a crack in the seattube. The RaceLite OR has one in a vertical plane though, between the toptube and wishbone..... That one will be repaired within a half a year, thats for sure.

JB
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

I'm tryin' to upload a photo

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I'm partial to factory if it's a race or race or...but black is always safe. Black everything out.

Check some of the other threads for pics as well...Bontragers have come up often in conversation.

Another pic of 'Bonny' in the correct forum...
    Bontrager - help identifying
    I'd like to show off my bonty but my picture file seems to be too large. I've tried upoadin my picture but i get an error message that says that my file is too large (1.8mb, and the limit is 1.9 kb or something like that) I have a 5mp digital camera that I used. Please help me out if you can. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by SSBonty
    OK, so here are the pics. One of the Race OR geared, one of the Race Lite SS, one of the disc mount welded on the Race Lite SS, and one of the the no tensioner needed drivetrain of the SS (running 36-18 but also have 32 and 40 teeth rings for hills/flat places!). Hope this works...

Ian
    I am wondering about where and how you got those disc mounts welded on, and by whom? Could you tell me, sounds like a cool idea for my bonty, mebe.
    Thanks

clueless
    My 2nd Bontrager a '92 Bontrager Race Lite rigid, size L, frame #588 fresh powder coated (silvergrey metallic) looks like "concrete grey" metallic
    Bontrager Competion Composite fork
    King GripNut 1"
    Bontrager Race Stem 1" 140 15�
    Minoura Cable Hanger
    Suntour XC Pro (crankarms/deraileurs/shifter/grease guard bb/seatpost/shifter cables)
    MAVIC (MA40 32� rims/Paris-Gao-Dakkar VTT hubs/Alu qr's)
    Shimano (sharkfinn, brake cables)
    Dia-Compe (986er Canties, SS5 brake levers)
    WTB (Cartidge Brake Pads)
    Selle Italia (Flite Titan)
    Rohloff (8s chain)
    Sachs (Aris 13/32 freewheel)
    Procraft by Modolo (bar 600/12�)
    Magura gripps
    Continental (Vertical Pro 2.3)

More photo's

ciao
    Flo
    Last edited by floibex; 01-09-2005 at 10:51 AM.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Nice looking bike!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Very nice build. Definitely one of the nicer Bontragers Ive seen.

Let me ask my wife

Good job! Very nice

That is one fine looking bike, congratulations on such a nice build.
    WTB: Syncros 31.8 seatpost
    Syncros threadless 1"x120 or 130mm stem
    Syncros cranks 180mm preferred

FTM
    just finished this up as a present for my wife on her birthday.
    '96 Race Lite (M) w/ original XT components except:
    Spectrum Powdercoat w/ new decals (obviously)
    front wheel (CK ISO w / sun 0 deg XC rim)
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro - Tubeless w/ Stans (front & rear)
    Avid Mech front brake
    White Bros. XC .8 fork (w/ 1" steer tube)
    CK headset
    Thompon post & stem
    Easton EC 70 cabob bars
    WTB She Speed saddle

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    just finished this up as a present for my wife on her birthday.
    '96 Race Lite (M) w/ original XT components except:
    Spectrum Powdercoat w/ new decals (obviously)
    front wheel (CK ISO w / sun 0 deg XC rim)
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro - Tubeless w/ Stans (front & rear)
    Avid Mech front brake
    White Bros. XC .8 fork (w/ 1" steer tube)
    CK headset
    Thompon post & stem
    Easton EC 70 cabob bars
    WTB She Speed saddle
    Now that is a cool bike!
    How did you get the 1" for the White? Were they willing to do it at the factory? Or a custom press?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

FTM
    Now that is a cool bike!
    How did you get the 1" for the White? Were they willing to do it at the factory? Or a custom press?
    White Bros. will do it directly (during manufacturing) for an additional $35.00 but you have to pay full MSRP. I actually went through Speedgoat who was selling the regular 1 1/8" version for a good deal less - they charged me $45.00 to have the factory make it with a 1" and it only took a couple of weeks but since this is done during manufacturing the time frame may vary.

Funny thing about the bike - it still hasn't seen any dirt! My wifes birthday was 12/26 and since then we have seen 17" of rain in So Cal. Ive managed to get out a few time during the breaks in the rain but she hasn't. The sun is out this morning so Saturday will be the day.

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    White Bros. will do it directly (during manufacturing) for an additional $35.00 but you have to pay full MSRP. I actually went through Speedgoat who was selling the regular 1 1/8" version for a good deal less - they charged me $45.00 to have the factory make it with a 1" and it only took a couple of weeks but since this is done during manufacturing the time frame may vary.

Funny thing about the bike - it still hasn't seen any dirt! My wifes birthday was 12/26 and since then we have seen 17" of rain in So Cal. Ive managed to get out a few time during the breaks in the rain but she hasn't. The sun is out this morning so Saturday will be the day.
    Don't know if I would own a pink bike, but that is really awesome!! Where in blazes did you get the decals minus the huge mylar panels????

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by loonyOne
    Don't know if I would own a pink bike, but that is really awesome!! Where in blazes did you get the decals minus the huge mylar panels????
    Spectrum Powderworks had/created the decals for me - $40 for all of them including the 'handmade in Santa Cruz' sticker. I was actually expecting the panel and was surprised when I got the frame back. Not sure if it was miscomunication or an artistic descision on their part but I like how it looks this way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Whenever it sees woodland it turns brown...

Trust me I do clean it! Best riding bike I've ever had bar none. It's outlived half a dozen hardtails I've owned ( including 2 ti ones ). Old skool xtr ( immortal kit ), DX thumbies ( WAY longer lived than the 3 pairs of XT though I'm not sure why ) and a smattering of " back-in-the-day " boutique bits. Cream.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

seat tube on my bonty cracked too

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen
    Got an intersting lead to a Bontrager Ti Lite last week, from a friend of mine. I emailed the owner/seller of the frame to ask about further details. The add told it had a crack and he didn't want a lot for it. It took some emails back and fort before I decided to pick it up.

So; here's my second Bontrager;

As said; the frame has a crack. The guy I bought it from, was the second owner. I asked him if he ever had ridden it with a short seatpost. He didn't, but looking at the crack leads me to think that either he or the first owner used a too short seatpost.

I was not in the market for such a frame, let alone one with a crack. But I can tell you this; the price was this good, I just couldn't leave it there. Had to take it. Plans are already running through my head of having this frame fixed and completely refinished. The welding will be done by someone capable of doing such a procedure. Finishing will be done by myself I guess. As with some of my other frames, this will be a long-term project.

This is my second Bontrager... and ironically both have a crack in the seattube. The RaceLite OR has one in a vertical plane though, between the toptube and wishbone..... That one will be repaired within a half a year, thats for sure.

JB
    I had a '93 race lite that developed a crack in the seat tube also. Bontrager sent me a new frame. I sold it and have regretted it ever since.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Hope OK, OK, Ok...

Some people are still keeping their Bonty's rolling and I keep getting asked for this...

Here's the link to the Bontrager PDF catalog:

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/bontrager.html

Enjoy everyone.

Obi...

fyi: "privvy's been sold, had no space for it, but it's with a good owner."

BontyHunter

Bontrager 9'er

Hello All,

I just finished the 9'er Project. It is built up around the BlackSheep Ti fork. I just can't justify a third bike (a 29"), and I can't part with my Bontrager. I'm really happy with the performance a month.

Cheers,
    JahWind

mtbr member

Smile my beloved '96 (bought new)

well here's mine, in it's current incarnation (still kinda odd for me to see it like this since putting it in "semi-retirement"):

up until recently i rode it for several years spec'd as follows:

custom built wheelset: bonty valiant rims, XTR hubs, DT spokes, XTR 11-34 cass
    XT crankset w/ race face rings
    SRAM ESP 9.OSL rear der / shim XT front der
    SRAM ESP 9 shifters (8 spd)
    chris king headset
    bonty race stem and bar
    oury grips / coda bar ends
    real designs levers
    XT cantilever brakes
    judy fork w/ englund total air cartridge
    rockshox suspension seat post
    bonty SSM 'race day' saddle
    time ATAC carbon MTB pedals

last season i finally upgraded to linear pull brakes and swapped out the cantis for an avid arch rival rear brake, single-digit 7 front (wow, brakes actually stop a bike, what a concept). then late in the year the englund cartridge blew out (my second) and i decided it was time to get a full-suspension bike after riding a hardtail since '85 (paid my dues for twenty years). so i pulled the judy and bought a tange rigid fork, swapped the race bar for a ritchey pro rizer, and lastly was forced to replace a valiant rim which had cracked w/ a sun sub IV.

there you have it. i ride it every day, either between the bus and my office or my jeep and my office. i will have this bike forever. it has served me well, from the boston-->new york AIDS ride, to mt. snow, moab, and of course this wonderful colorado singletrack.

terry
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Bontrager Race Lite

I'm new to this forum and I'm glad to see so many Bontragers. I've had this one sitting in storage for several years and decided to build it up. Looked around in storage to find what parts to build it up with and found all this. XTR 8 speed and Spinergy wheels, all new. Great forum!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by golfcycle
    I'm new to this forum and I'm glad to see so many Bontragers. I've had this one sitting in storage for several years and decided to build it up. Looked around in storage to find what parts to build it up with and found all this. XTR 8 speed and Spinergy wheels, all new. Great forum!

Yours looks like an early 90's Race with newer labels, yeah?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You're definately on yer way to the " Tartiest Bonty " award dude!
    ps. nice motor!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Nah, it's actually a 98 Race Lite frame that I bought at Robinson's Wheelworks in San Leandro, CA. He had Bontrager powdercoat it Judy yellow and had the rasta panels put on. I still have a couple sets of sticker panels around, I just have to find them. I also have a set of superlight original White Industries wheelset, but they are really noisy. But they are light. Yeah, this is pretty "yellowed out" but I may "Rasta it out" later once I find all those parts in my storage.

velocipede technician
    anyone got a source for decals? i got a couple of restorations that need some love
    looking for 20-21" P team

uh, or something!
    NOS Race - Still has the shop SKU sticker on it. XT with Ritchey Logic cranks, XTR headset, Logic brakes, original Megabites and some gold anod SRP bolts here and there. Only needs thumbys and a bar switch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by golfcycle
    Nah, it's actually a 98 Race Lite frame that I bought at Robinson's Wheelworks in San Leandro, CA.

Seriously?

I always thought the Race-Lites, regardless of year, had the externally milled headtube. Also, your front derailleur uses a pulley which they stopped doing like in '93 or so; later they were all top-pull. The seatstays being two-parts, I always thought, were a pre-Trek detail too.

Just curious. I could be wrong. There are some Bonty experts here that might chime in.

edit: older is better anyway
    Last edited by holden; 09-13-2006 at 05:06 PM.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    In Front - Race Frame w/ Comp fork and an extra Race Fork .
    Left - Bontrager Singlespeed(Factory) w/ Custom 2002 SID SL
    Center - RaceLite w/Comp fork and Moustache bars. (My favorite ride)
    Right - RoadLite

It's a sickness.

jw

its a sickness without a known cure,thank god. somebody find this man a cross bike and a ti lite

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    its a sickness without a known cure,thank god. somebody find this man a cross bike and a ti lite
    I remember when this this was first posted and I thought, holy god, is he serious. Now I have one more than him, though not nescesarily as nice as his. That factory SS will always get me.

Also, fewer of mine are built. So sad.

As for golfcycle's, I think Holden is right. In '98, Bontrager only sold privateers to my knowledge. The switch to single piece stays and away from the pulley routed deraileur cable came right about the same time as the Trek buyout but weren't nescesarily connected. I've heard it both ways from lots of sources.

information leafblower
    Oct 2004

custard

From what you can see through the paint it certainly looks like a racelite- the bottle bosses look to be bonded in...can't make out the headtube - too much yellow - but I've never heard/seen a race lite with a non milled HT.

...definitely earlier than 98 - my current race lite was a 96/97 acquisition and it's got one piece stays/no front mech roller etc. I'd guess it's like a 94/95 no earlier since it's not got the uber cool bonded alloy TT cable guides.
    i've got one inch, who needs more?

(wanted small or medium 93 or earlier race lite, must have bonded TT cable guides)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95bonty
    From what you can see through the paint it certainly looks like a racelite- the bottle bosses look to be bonded in...can't make out the headtube - too much yellow - but I've never heard/seen a race lite with a non milled HT.

...definitely earlier than 98 - my current race lite was a 96/97 acquisition and it's got one piece stays/no front mech roller etc. I'd guess it's like a 94/95 no earlier since it's not got the uber cool bonded alloy TT cable guides.

I thought the bonded TT cable guides were '91 only, and only early '91 at that. I'm assuming tha it has horizontal drops.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    I remember when this this was first posted and I thought, holy god, is he serious. Now I have one more than him, though not nescesarily as nice as his. That factory SS will always get me.

Also, fewer of mine are built. So sad.

As for golfcycle's, I think Holden is right. In '98, Bontrager only sold privateers to my knowledge. The switch to single piece stays and away from the pulley routed deraileur cable came right about the same time as the Trek buyout but weren't nescesarily connected. I've heard it both ways from lots of sources.
    thats about where im at too,need to finish up a few projects.......... and agreed the factory ss would be my holy grail as well

'Calm Down'
    Dang, you've got one more then me now.(?) I'm still looking for a CX and a Ti Lite. Guess I better intensify the search again.

jw

-

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

velocipede technician
    I thought the bonded TT cable guides were '91 only, and only early '91 at that. I'm assuming tha it has horizontal drops.
    i was recently told the bonded cable guides stopped being glued on OR's in 93

information leafblower
    Oct 2004

according to mba

The january 1993 MBA test shows a RaceLite with square panel decals, bonded TT guides, two piece chainstays, front mech roller and horizontal drop outs. The December 1994 issue shows welded steel TT guides, dual piece stays, front mech roller and slant decals.

I think the front mech routing changed 96?

In the UK it was pretty hard to tell what stock we were looking at - when I was looking during 94 the importer still had some square panel/alloy guide RaceLites...sadly I only had the cash for an OR Race at that point ;-(

(wanted small or medium 93 or earlier race lite, must have bonded TT cable guides)

mtbr member
    Dang, you've got one more then me now.(?) I'm still looking for a CX and a Ti Lite. Guess I better intensify the search again.

jw
    Ha, I've got a ti-lite and a brazed cx.

I thought the horizontal dropouts ended in '92 maybe '93. I have a race with horizontal drops and welded steel cable routing so the switch from bonded cable guides should have been in '93 at the latest.

velocipede technician
    Ha, I've got a ti-lite and a brazed cx.

I thought the horizontal dropouts ended in '92 maybe '93. I have a race with horizontal drops and welded steel cable routing so the switch from bonded cable guides should have been in '93 at the latest.
    how bout some pics of your cx. curved forks?silver rounded crown?

mtbr member
    Curved forks. The crown is a lugged one, not that Bontyish at all. I'll look to get picks up tonight.

dog meat ankles
    Took the plunge today.

I managed to find an old Race frame and am now building it up as an SS.

Have a Surly singleator, Wheelhouse Surly rear wheel, Avid Single Digit 7's, a Raceface crank, etc. for the build. Most likely will put Crank Bros platforms on it.

The only real variable is the new 1'' Marzocchi XC fork I have on order (they still make 'em, it just takes a while to ship). Most likely will convert to new headset technology and get a RaceFace stem with a 35.4 clamp for really fat handlebars.

I'm looking at a 110-120mm stem since the XL is a bit smallish.

Since I don't have the time or the funds right now (the Singleator was inteded for a Specialized before I found the Bontrager) this might take a while.

Will post the finished product in a few months, promise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hello everyone!

Here are my two, a Privateer and a Race.....the Race is now without decals and sporting purple Paul cantilevers (with black cable housing) and a Ringle cage

Stu

clueless
    .. to determine which detail would lead to exact production dates of sc bontragers might be a bit confusing to be honest...

this one, my second race lite, had been bought (acc. to the 1st owner) in germany in jan. 1993. so i think/thought it might be produced in '92 ...
    brazed cable guides, vertical dropouts, rigid geometries, tt nearly parallel to the ground (like the original off road).

my first, but later race lite was delivered in march '94, details like the one above , sloping tt, slightly beefier dropouts, suspension corrected.

up to '94 you could choose, according to the german dealer brochure, between horizontal or vertical dropouts, rigid or susp. corrected geometries.

here you'll find some details of a '90 off road, afaik these are made 'til 1991.

ciao
    flo

Steel is Real!
    Apr 2004
    [QUOTE=fuquaykid]QUOTE]

You have a Fuquay frame or anything to do with Greg?
    Wanted: Bontrager TI LITE in medium please

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    [QUOTE=Crell]
    Quote Originally Posted by fuquaykid
    QUOTE]

You have a Fuquay frame or anything to do with Greg?
    Hi,

Nothing to do with Greg but I've got a Fuquay frame, forks and custom stem, they are away being stripped ready for fresh powdercoat at the moment, i'm keeping photgraphic records of the resto though.....here's a photo of the condition when I bought her

Cheers
    Stu

Steel is Real!
    Apr 2004
    Nice. He built a friend of mine a Max OR frame. IIRC it was fillet brazed as well. really nice looking bike.

Does Greg still build our has he left the bike business behind?
    Wanted: Bontrager TI LITE in medium please

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    From what I've been told this one is made from basic Columbus tubing, very light though

I think Greg has left the bike business but there were rumors he was going to make a comeback.......hope that's true!

Cheers
    Stu

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My '97 broke on the wishbone. Paul @ RockLobster fixed it up, but I rode it to death.
    Bike is in desperate need of a new fork, headset, bottom bracket and wheelset.
    Pretty much every part on the bike is plumb worn out.
    It's getting revamped for some more winter thrashing, keep tuned for the super duper drive train mod. Road cranks, a 36t single ring, and a chain guide. MMMmmm light and simple, yet still fast. Also considering a 12-27 with an Ultegra deraillure and a 28-38 up front. Hmmm...

It bugs the hell out of me when people pimp out their Bontragers then don't ride them. That's like torture for a bike. Bontys are made to be ridden fast and hard. Ride like you mean it.

p.s. some sick bikes in this thread!

information leafblower
    Oct 2004

dropouts

hey flo

you mentioned a drop out difference between your two race lites-has your earlier race lite got a really anorexic section that goes down to where the derailleur screws in? Kind of like it's notched/has a square-ish cut out of it?? Sorry don't have an image - but interested to see if you have any shots of yours?

I'm 95% sure I saw a RaceLite frame in the UK in 92/93 with the alloy guides, but the guides were finished in black, with a skinny vertical dropout. But i've never seen anything like it in any of the photo's here or elsewhere.

mtbr member

Sorry about the lag, I've not been able to get to where the frame is in storage. I did find the pictures I was sent of it before I got it. Here we go:

mtbr member
    Did you buy that on ebay maybe a year to a year and a half ago?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Did you buy that on ebay maybe a year to a year and a half ago?
    No, I got it from another forum member a few months ago in a trade for a brazed Bonty MTB. This one fit me better and I already had a brazed Bonty MTB in need of building up.

mtbr member
    No, I got it from another forum member a few months ago in a trade for a brazed Bonty MTB. This one fit me better and I already had a brazed Bonty MTB in need of building up.
    Thats a nice one. Pretty sure that was mine at one point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Thats a nice one. Pretty sure that was mine at one point.
    Cool, it is in my queue of bikes needing building. I like it a lot. It could use new paint but I think it will serve a couple of years as a SS cx with the current paint first. I'll just have to keep it well waxed.

cheers

velocipede technician
    Sorry about the lag, I've not been able to get to where the frame is in storage. I did find the pictures I was sent of it before I got it. Here we go:
    gonna run it as a ss, double thumbsup

clueless
    sorry replying so late, but I'm a bit hindered 'cause I broke the "socket" of my right shoulder "joint" (this might be not the correct medical term ) hopefully I can make some photos end of the week when i get rid of this sling...

ciao
    flo

hey flo

you mentioned a drop out difference between your two race lites-has your earlier race lite got a really anorexic section that goes down to where the derailleur screws in? Kind of like it's notched/has a square-ish cut out of it?? Sorry don't have an image - but interested to see if you have any shots of yours?

I'm 95% sure I saw a RaceLite frame in the UK in 92/93 with the alloy guides, but the guides were finished in black, with a skinny vertical dropout. But i've never seen anything like it in any of the photo's here or elsewhere.

clueless
    ... some days later

the official bontrager dropout gallery!

offroad ca. 1991

race lite "early 1993"

race lite definitely 1994

ciao
    flo

horn doggie

NOS Race, Race Lite (both SC built)

I previously posted pics of my mid-90s medium Race with 2-piece stays. It was always a bit small, so a couple years ago I put out feelers on CL looking for a large Race or Race Lite.

I was eventually contacted by two guys - one from SC with a Race Lite (who happened to have a plethora of Bontys and was a friend of Keith), and another guy in Oregon who had an unbuilt, post-Trek, SC built Race frame, likely one of the last of those built locally, with the tags still hanging from well-rotted rubberbands!

The Oregon guy drove down to the Bay Area to show me the frame, and I bought it on the spot for $300. The SC guy met me in SC one morning after I drove up from the Sea Otter (I was racing DH that weekend). Along with this complete bike I scored a bunch of spankin' new parts (including two 1" custom RS forks (SID and one-off Judy SL with all Ti fasteners and unique damper), Ti-Crowbar, shifters, Bonty tires, yadda yadda. He happened to have been an R&D engineer at RS way back when they still had their operations in SC.

I sold my medium Race frame to a guy in SoCal.

One of the interesting aspects are the decals on the Race, clearly a post-Trek configuration. The Race Lite had not OR decals, but the road frame decals which are pretty sleek and minimalist. I like them. I've since built the Race using all the era parts from my first Bonty. It's still lacking a fr, derailleur, but is otherwise fully built.

(For some reason pics won't load.... sorry!)
    Last edited by scooderdude; 12-09-2006 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just got through wit building up the Bonty that I had sitting around, I used parts that I had stashed over the years and obtained some new parts to go on the bike. One of the parts that I am ecstatic over finding is a Ti one inch threaded stem, $25.00 and also a set of near new Suntour XC Pro thumbies. The bike hasn't seen the trails for many years due to me riding my steel Jamis Dragon. I figure since the Bonty is built again the first ride will be tomorrow night on some fireroads and singletrack.

I love Bontragers.

Samiam
    Nov 2006

A late entry

Here is my 90-91 OR. Bought the frameset from Davis Wheelworks in 90 and took delivery in 91. Still sees occasional usage whenever a hard tail is called for. Some ncie bikes on this thread, enjoyed looking.
    BON_OR.JPG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CANBONSAN
    Here is my 90-91 OR. Bought the frameset from Davis Wheelworks in 90 and took delivery in 91. Still sees occasional usage whenever a hard tail is called for. Some ncie bikes on this thread, enjoyed looking.
    BON_OR.JPG

Thats a nice one! Love those older ones. The Silca pump, the Mavic underbar shifters, IRD Macaroni stem...cool stuff.

...er maybe I should say silca-esque pump...

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by CANBONSAN
    BON_OR.JPG

Where's the original fork?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Samiam
    Nov 2006

Hanging in the garage,

Where's the original fork?
    with the rest.

horn doggie
    Here they are.... Race Lite and Race (NOS and post-Trek), both Santa Cruz built.

Big Bloke on a Bike
    WOW, so many Bontragers in one place!!

Why did it take me soooooo long to find you all?

Now, where's my camera.........

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    WOW, so many Bontragers in one place!!

Why did it take me soooooo long to find you all?

Now, where's my camera.........
    whatcha got?

Big Bloke on a Bike
    An XXXL Race ORS in rasta. Nice but well used.
    Last edited by Fat Mike; 05-28-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Retro on Steroids
    I'm surprised that no one has posted this.

Mountain Bike Action, 1990.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider

if i had a scanner i could add 7 more pages to this thread

I picked two too many

mtbr member

New question here.

does anyone have a scan/PDF of the old MBA article on the ti lites?
    saw the issue on ebay a while ago, but w/ shipping from canada didn't think it would be worth it for just a few pages that interested me...

thanks.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider

I think someone on this forum owns this very bike. It's turned up here before. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    been meaning to upload a pic of mine for a while now.
    Looking for Medium Ti-Lite frame or complete bike...

mtbr member
    My little Privateer S:

Nice stuff, everyone.

Big Bloke on a Bike
    Here's a couple of mine, called BJ Fungus, The Bogey Bike.

Firstly, brand new before ever being ridden....

img011.jpg

And after a 'summer' race some years ago....

img010.jpg

information leafblower
    Oct 2004
    that's enormous! funny how the decals look so small along the toptube!

Big Bloke on a Bike
    that's enormous!
    It has to be!!!!

I had the chance of buying BJ's brother a few years ago but couldn't afford it at the time. I wonder where it is now.....

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I finished this last spring, but I forgot to post the updated picture.

Retro Grouch
    I'm guessing a 93 Racelite, cut and weilded as a singlespeed. I got the weight down to 20lbs flat.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here is my Race still in service. Pic is from last weekend on the Loon Lake loop in Idaho. Gotta love Bonti's,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just out of interest, what is the deal with the 'factory SS'? Were some of these sold as singlespeeds straight from the factory? Are there any differences between these and the equivalent geared model at the same time? Right now I have two SS bonties using the magic gear, debating at the moment whether to run the race lite with Pace carbon forks and discs, the race with Pace steel forks and a coaster hub rear brake, or (shh) a Proflex 955 singlespeed in the UK SS champs in Bristol this weeked. I may be swayed by the weather - the race lite is the best in the mud, but the course is bone dry at the moment and tough on rigid bikes so maybe I'll lean towrds the proflex (heresy I hear you shout!).

Ian

mtbr member
    Just out of interest, what is the deal with the 'factory SS'? Were some of these sold as singlespeeds straight from the factory? Are there any differences between these and the equivalent geared model at the same time? Right now I have two SS bonties using the magic gear, debating at the moment whether to run the race lite with Pace carbon forks and discs, the race with Pace steel forks and a coaster hub rear brake, or (shh) a Proflex 955 singlespeed in the UK SS champs in Bristol this weeked. I may be swayed by the weather - the race lite is the best in the mud, but the course is bone dry at the moment and tough on rigid bikes so maybe I'll lean towrds the proflex (heresy I hear you shout!).

Ian
    There are only twelve of them. All converted by Kirk Pacenti when he worked at the SC factory. They are very similar to the geared versions but exceedingly rare.

velocipede technician
    Just out of interest, what is the deal with the 'factory SS'?

Ian
    why?

you know where one is?

mtbr member
    Freshly built! New race frame, year, 1996? 9 speed XT, Ilike the gear range, as I ride anywhere fromthe road to eastern singletrack. Picked the parts from what I had, or how they looked. Love the bike! Now I know why Bonty fans are so loyal. (being from MA, I have a FAT and Indy too!) Yes, I know the cables need trimming, I just like to keep them long until all is broken in, or i've made final parts decisions. Will replace the front v-brake as soon as I can locate the proper Marzoke cable hanger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice collection of bikes here. This thread has got me excited about (re)building up this Race I bought last month. Just put frame saver in it today. Have most of the parts lying around ready to go back on.

Will post pics when done.

-Hong

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No leads on one I'm afraid, just interested in what they were - so these were track ended/horizontal dropout conversions done after manufacture but in the same factory? How do you tell they were done their and not elsewhere? Didn't they know about the magic ratios for bonties?! (32:18, 36:18, 40:18 etc)...

Ian

velocipede technician
    No leads on one I'm afraid, just interested in what they were - so these were track ended/horizontal dropout conversions done after manufacture but in the same factory? How do you tell they were done their and not elsewhere? Didn't they know about the magic ratios for bonties?! (32:18, 36:18, 40:18 etc)...

Ian
    its not about magic ratio's, or horizontal dropout OR frames.its about the real deal from the factory ss frame.

i'd kill every one in this room for one.

'Calm Down'
    And again I taunt you...

jw

its not about magic ratio's, or horizontal dropout OR frames.its about the real deal from the factory ss frame.

i'd kill every one in this room for one.
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

velocipede technician
    And again I taunt you...

jw
    i hate you

'Calm Down'
    Hey, it took me a bit over 7 years to find one. How long have you been looking?

jw

i hate you
    -

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    And again I taunt you...

jw
    STOP IT!!!!

I want my bike back!
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Bonty Race 96

Here's mine.Still raced every Friday night!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Love those Bontys

Bought this Large Privateer S back in 98 for $519.00 at SuperGo on a fixed budget.

I will never part with the bike..........
    Last edited by LJordan; 06-23-2007 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJordan
    I will never part with the bike..........
    hail the privateer!

(but c'mon man, that seat's gotta weigh 4 pounds!)
    Last edited by gotdirt; 06-24-2007 at 09:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    hail the privateer!

(but c'mon man, that seat's gotta weight 4 pounds!)
    Well, the weekend after I purchased the bike. I did 2 all day tickets at Snow Summit Ski Lifts in Big Bear. After which my buns insisted on the marshmellow comfort seat. So to compensate for the added weight of the seat. I reduced my body fat by 2% so I would weighed in at 192 lbs. 24 of which is the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Race lite

Race lite with Mt. Tam in the background. Some propaganda as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Here is my Privateer that I have just turned into a single speed. I love riding this bike! I bought it new when I worked at a Bike Barn in Houston Tx back in high school. That was a fun job. Some crappy riding in Houston though. Check out the sweet XTR chain tensioner.

velocipede technician
    no, i wont stop looking.

I picked two too many

OK now

put it up on BOTM so I can . . .

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOrange
    put it up on BOTM so I can . . .
    done.

vote early, vote often folks

its time a bonty took home BOTM

artistic...
    no, i wont stop looking.
    HAWTTTT!!!!!!

what a great paint scheme btw. industrial, no sillynness.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

'Calm Down'
    What the heck is BOTM?

jw

done.

vote early, vote often folks

its time a bonty took home BOTM
    -

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast