Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Williwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,010

    Nuke Proof Reactor Bike........should I get it?

    I found a Nuke Proof Reactor frame and fork actually a complete bike including the nuke handelbar and stem. I would be buying it for the frame fork only. The guy wants $350 for the complete bike. My question is: Are those forks any good? what about that headset? The fork seemed pretty good other than twisting a little bit (less than a mag 21 by a bit) the headset is smooth I would buy it for the wife or my daughter to ride as its a small frame maybe a 16. The build is pretty wack other than the xtr m900 cranks and xt shifters, the rest is all low end stuff. I guess I want it but dont have the room really I could always make room. But more over my wife would kill me, so should I pick a different battle?

    Will

  2. #2
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,824
    I'd buy one to have something fun in my loaner fleet.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  3. #3
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    I don't think I've seen a complete one. Can't imagine what would happen if you needed spare parts.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  4. #4
    FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    Reputation: erkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    363
    I would not touch it. As said above you will not be able to get replacement parts for it. Maybe buy it and sell it on Retrobike, some guys there buy lots of bikes to hang on walls!
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrkawasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    114

    Indignated of Ingland

    Hey, hold on a minute! I for one would like to take a mild British exception to that 'Retrobike wall hanging' wisecrack!!!!

    Before you all go and triple your prices and and float your cack on our site - I draw your attention our Riders Meets gallery and the forthcoming Spring ride out which has 25+ riders booked - most with winter new builds ready to be initiated and scarred...

    I think you will find that the combination of your generous exchange rate coupled with the benign conditions you guys often seem to ride in (can't remember the last time I read an MBA test with muddy bike photos!) leads us to your shores.

    Neil

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    103
    I'll back up MrKawasaki! I'm on Retrobike, have 7 bikes and use them all the time - they are never clean and I don't have a garage to hang them up in

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: j333ssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    119
    Whats wrong with putting them on walls?
    Big collector of parts always willing to trade. Disk drives, cnc items and rarities.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrkawasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    114

    Wallbanger!

    Depends on the wall of course....

    Jayzee, when you gonna tell me where I can get those plush velvet wall brackets of yours anyways??

    Neil

  9. #9
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkawasaki
    Hey, hold on a minute! I for one would like to take a mild British exception to that 'Retrobike wall hanging' wisecrack!!!!

    Before you all go and triple your prices and and float your cack on our site - I draw your attention our Riders Meets gallery and the forthcoming Spring ride out which has 25+ riders booked - most with winter new builds ready to be initiated and scarred...

    I think you will find that the combination of your generous exchange rate coupled with the benign conditions you guys often seem to ride in (can't remember the last time I read an MBA test with muddy bike photos!) leads us to your shores.

    Neil

    I don't think his post was intended to slag UK collectors, just that it has a good chance of finding a fitting home there.

    However...a 95-97 year frame does hit the right demographic.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  10. #10
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,869

    chill winston

    i hear thunder

    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7945


    deep calming breaths people
    looking for 20-21" P team

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I don't think his post was intended to slag UK collectors, just that it has a good chance of finding a fitting home there.
    And besides, making fun of the Brits is much more fun than making fun of Belgians.

    I can't wait for Beckham to get here.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: j333ssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    119
    Aha!

    Those brackets are from Do It All!! I think even Halfords even stock them - about 17 quid each. Very handy!

    I think the US can have the Beckhams! Be my guest!
    Big collector of parts always willing to trade. Disk drives, cnc items and rarities.

  13. #13
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    Quote Originally Posted by j333ssa
    I think the US can have the Beckhams! Be my guest!
    I'm stoked to have him here. It'll be good for US Soccer...we're way behind the rest of the world when it comes to soccer.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  14. #14
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639

    Interesting thread.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boy named SSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    And besides, making fun of the Brits is much more fun than making fun of Belgians.

    I can't wait for Beckham to get here.
    I'm going to his first game for the Galaxy. Not a huge fan as much as soccer in general. The ticket is free so long as I drive.

  16. #16
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Interesting thread.
    agreed
    looking for 20-21" P team

  17. #17
    bonked
    Reputation: IF52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    And besides, making fun of the Brits is much more fun than making fun of Belgians.

    I can't wait for Beckham to get here.
    Is it as much fun as making fun of Canadians?
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

  18. #18
    member
    Reputation: dick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    Is it as much fun as making fun of Canadians?
    Nothing is, except maybe making fun of the Dutch.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10
    as long as you call it "soccer" you guys will never understand football!

  20. #20
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    Quote Originally Posted by missmyfat
    as long as you call it "soccer" you guys will never understand football!
    Most Americans will confuse that with American Football...so it's screwed from the start for us.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  21. #21
    just 1 more
    Reputation: azjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,153

    speaking of Retrobike

    Looking around there I couldn't find a register tab or page anywhere. Is it for euro bikers only?
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

  22. #22
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I don't think I've seen a complete one. Can't imagine what would happen if you needed spare parts.
    You've seen pictures of a complete one. You made me aware of a closed ebay auction I snagged these pix from. I lusted after this bike when it came out around '94 or '95 or so. I had a Cannondale at the time with a Headshok and thought such a linkage fork would have the resistance to twisting of a CDale Headshok but with better action. Suspension forks were fairly twisty and generally dreadful at that time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,639
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    You've seen pictures of a complete one. You made me aware of a closed ebay auction I snagged these pix from. I lusted after this bike when it came out around '94 or '95 or so. I had a Cannondale at the time with a Headshok and thought such a linkage fork would have the resistance to twisting of a CDale Headshok but with better action. Suspension forks were fairly twisty and generally dreadful at that time.
    Ah yes, I should have clarified...never seen one on the trails/in person.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  24. #24
    Looking for an Ultimate
    Reputation: neilll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    25
    A complete and working (gets ridden hard every week by a buddy of mine) Reactor now exists in the UK, most likely the only complete one in the UK

    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65239
    Regards,
    Neill

    WTD: 1 1/4" Chris King no-logo, threaded, black.
    WTD: 19" Yeti Ultimate frame/forks

  25. #25
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Williwoods
    But more over my wife would kill me, so should I pick a different battle
    Some hills aren't worth dying for

    Ah Jeez, I hate when I post in a years old thread
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.