all about the all about

Nuke Proof Hub Experts

I just found these wheels hanging in my basement workshop shop. I wondered if anyone could give details? Thanks for any info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nuke Proof Hub Experts-nuke1.jpg  

Nuke Proof Hub Experts-nuke2.jpg  

Nuke Proof Hub Experts-nuke4.jpg  

Nuke Proof Hub Experts-nuke3.jpg  

.. If I see this bike on display with those GT bars, I am bringing my hacksaw!!

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

slow
    Check the flanges carefully for cracks before using them and then regularly before rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Congratulations Nuke Proof Tianiums!! :-)

all about the all about
    Very cool! They look to be in fine shape. the carbon front hub looks like it has had some use but the pair of ti hubs look really stellar. XTR freehub even, nice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I had a set of the ti hubs on my GT college commuter bike years ago until the bike got stollen. They're great hubs, super lite and they roll really nice.
    The Truth will set you free.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Om Flyer View Post
    I just found these wheels hanging in my basement workshop shop. I wondered if anyone could give details? Thanks for any info.
    Backstory please! Did you move into a place and find these wheels, or have you been there for a long time and don't remember acquiring the wheels (I have a mystery wetsuit like that).

all about the all about
    Acquired from a friend in a parts trade a long time ago...I think he was looking to build up a disc brake wheel set at the time. Being in northern Michigan I had always heard of Nuke Proof but was never really well versed in the different models. The wheelset looks brand new - Mavic X517 to ti Hubs.

Does anyone know if those QR skewers were Nuke Proof as well? They do look to be Ti.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The skewers look like Odyssey Svelte skewers.

Nuke Proof did make some skewers but not many. They are pretty basic looking things that are kind of ugly IMO.

Running a set of Nuke Proof Ti hubs on my Zaskar at the moment. Decent hubs but I've read some folks say the bearings are chinese crap. Regardless, they look as nice as your set so I think they tend to look nice a long time. I removed the bearing seal on each side, cleaned and regreased my set without problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    the bombshell carbon nuke hubs i have here fit a standard r6-2rs bearing. the actual NMB bearing has been discontinued and was just a whisker more thin. with the r6 there is a few thousandths of poke out on the front hub but it does allow you to get new bearings and also on the cheap. the R6 bearing is something like $3 each.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Neat...early generation Nukes. The front is suspect to develop cracks on the flanges.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    I had a wheelset on my wife's road bike (read: seldom used), and sure enough one day i pulled the bike down and the front wheel was all jacked. Culprit? Nukeproof (carbon) front hub with busted flange. Looked about as crusty as that one in the pic, too. The tiny set screw in the end cap kind of sucks, too.

Cool hubs, regardless :-)