Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

NOS Pinarello Antelao

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Campagnoloboy 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's something you may not see to often. Jeff from First Flight Bikes was kind enough
to sell me this NOS 1988 Pinarello Antelao. I received it this afternoon and I couldn't be
much happier. It's my early X-mas present to me. The Caramba crank matches perfect.

#7 ·
I'm just teasing. To me that bike embodies the '80s the same way cnc sparkly anodized parts embody the 90s. Two interesting but completely distinct eras.

I don't know anything else about that bike. A few Italian manufacturers had a go at producing traditional lugged steel mountain bikes, notably Cinelli Rampichino, Rossin Marathon, Colnago Ibex, and Pinarello. Didn't last that long.

#8 ·
It's actually my sons car. I gave it to him for his 16th birthday. I'll take a couple of pics
next time he's over. They're fast little cars. I did a complete rebuild on the motor so it's
pushing 375hp. Not bad for an 18 year old. Nobody can really touch him around here.

#10 ·
mwr said:
I'm just teasing. To me that bike embodies the '80s the same way cnc sparkly anodized parts embody the 90s. Two interesting but completely distinct eras.

I don't know anything else about that bike. A few Italian manufacturers had a go at producing traditional lugged steel mountain bikes, notably Cinelli Rampichino, Rossin Marathon, Colnago Ibex, and Pinarello. Didn't last that long.
I'm with you on that one Matt, well said!!! all my vintage bikes tend to be 80's and early 90's. Dont you just love those Pinarello luggs :D I'd one of these is on my want list ;)

#11 ·
XR4TI said:
It's actually my sons car. I gave it to him for his 16th birthday. I'll take a couple of pics
next time he's over. They're fast little cars. I did a complete rebuild on the motor so it's
pushing 375hp. Not bad for an 18 year old. Nobody can really touch him around here.
My dad has had 2 Sierras. The first was a 1.3litre with 60hp. Not really a serious contender on the dragstrip. Was marketed only 1 year as it was to underpowered. In '82 the design was revolutionair; everywhere there was much attention and opinions really differed. I once heard that what the Sierra did in Europe, did the 80s Taurus for the US.

As kid I dreamed of the RS500. Fun to read you consider them little cars :D

The bike is Cool to. Reckon I could dream of it, just like the RS500 ;)

#12 ·
Elevation12 said:
My dad has had 2 Sierras. The first was a 1.3litre with 60hp. Not really a serious contender on the dragstrip. Was marketed only 1 year as it was to underpowered. In '82 the design was revolutionair; everywhere there was much attention and opinions really differed. I once heard that what the Sierra did in Europe, did the 80s Taurus for the US.

Very cool website!

#13 ·
Elevation12 said:

Was the Taurus ever more than a crappy ugly car? I guess I missed something.

#14 ·
Ot

Fillet-brazed said:
Was the Taurus ever more than a crappy ugly car? I guess I missed something.
It and the 1983 Thunderbird were the first mainstream domestics to really try (and succeed) with "areo" styling after the late 70s/early 80s box era. The original Taurus SHO was also easily one of the best performance sedans at the time, bar none (even with FWD), thanks to its Yamaha-engineered (and built?) engine.

Ok, ok, enough OT stuff. 1980s MTBs are generally more interesting than most 1980s/early 90s cars, although I do have a 1988 car in my garage, too (technically my wifes)...

http://www.geocities.com/cegrover/e30.html

#15 ·
cegrover said:
It and the 1983 Thunderbird were the first mainstream domestics to really try (and succeed) with "areo" styling after the late 70s/early 80s box era. The original Taurus SHO was also easily one of the best performance sedans at the time, bar none (even with FWD), thanks to its Yamaha-engineered (and built?) engine.

Ok, ok, enough OT stuff. 1980s MTBs are generally more interesting than most 1980s/early 90s cars, although I do have a 1988 car in my garage, too (technically my wifes)...

http://www.geocities.com/cegrover/e30.html
Really? Best performance sedan? That seems surprising considering the BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, etc., but Im not really a car buff. Heck, even the Maxima was bit of a ripper then wasnt it? It was also FWD though. I remember that Yamaha engine was nice, but... the rest?? And the SHO version was quite limited wasnt it?

Ya, I agree, I like the 80s mountain bikes too. Lots of soul it seems. '80s American cars on the other hand... ;)

#16 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
Really? Best performance sedan? That seems surprising considering the BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, etc., but Im not really a car buff. Heck, even the Maxima was bit of a ripper then wasnt it? It was also FWD though. I remember that Yamaha engine was nice, but... the rest?? And the SHO version was quite limited wasnt it?

Ya, I agree, I like the 80s mountain bikes too. Lots of soul it seems. '80s American cars on the other hand... ;)
It was one of the best sedans and absolutely one of the top few if price was factored in. Handling was good (not amazing) and power and acceleration were rivaled by very few sedans at the time. Remember, however, to put it in perspective. The E34 BMW M5 was very limited in the USA and there were not yet factory AMGs or Audi S4/S6/RS6s, etc. The Germans didn't put V8s in their mid-luxury cars yet (5-series, A6 or equivalent or E-Class) and Maxima didn't get the 190HP engine option until 1992; so SHO had a few years to itself.

80s American cars just require more selectivity, as there are plenty of interesting (mostly turbocharged) gems among the "blah": anything with the Ford turbo 4-cyl, turbo Buicks, Omni GLHS, etc. Our '88 Bimmer is a blast, but it's no stoplight drag car.

Okay, okay...I'm way OT...

#19 ·
Yes, to much OT....

I go along with cegrover, serious diversivication in the line ups of many started only in the nineties. Some traditional sporty brands had offerings, like 315hp(!) M5, the Thema 8.32 :cool:, Alfa's 75 3.0 America, the smaller Merc 190 2.5-16, Maser 430 and more or less the 3rd gen Maser Qp. I remembered when the Bimmer were introduced and 315hp was very much; it had even 15hp over the already 300 of the 12cyl! The Thema has 100hp less, but it is Ferrari powered and featured a kinky huge spoiler that appeares by speeding over 80km/h. This was before the Carrera and Corrado had this feature. The Lancia has also a pretty nice interior. Classy car. Bummer for the US it weren't marketed overthere.

Maser Qp: I once scanned a 2nd gen article => click and scroll down

Biggest Audi's were 5cyl 20v Turbo's and somewhat later the V8, but that can impossibly be considered a sportssaloon. SAABs 9000 Turbo was a great driverscar, but really strong Turbo Aero's emerged only in the nineties. There were no Volvo's T5R. Jag's xj40 didn't exceed 225hp and like the sligtly stronger series 3 V12 it is not a sportssaloon.

Back on topic ;) : The BMW convertible can do very good as bike transport. Friend of me has an Audi conv and with roof down it is a great carrier for his Yo :D Personally I drive 92 Classic SAAB with fold down bench. It easily swallows one or two bikes assembled. With wheels removed it is not necessary to fold down the bench.

Scarabee SAAB
Gave it a rustprevention threatment this year. I am a guy who likes to preserve nice things, like most of you I guess. Soon I will finish it with FAT stickers on the back. I already acquired nice, sophisticated designs that match the car perfectly.

Once a carmagazine organized a competition. I never enter such things, but this time the first prize was a...... Koga Miyata. I wun, as can be seen bellow:

...and sorry XR4Ti, I unfortunately can't provide you anything on your Pinarello.

#20 ·
XR4TI said:
You are a brave Dad! My dad made sure my first car was a VW Diesel.
I used to drive a Scorpio around Abberdeen SD for a few months; tanks but fast, quiet, smooth.
Always had a soft spot for the XR.

#22 ·
XR4TI said:
Does anyone have any info on this frame? I really know nothing about it except Pinarello
doesn't make mountain bikes. Nothing really out there on the web. Any info would be
appreciated.
there's 2 pinarello hardtails at the LBS. both aluminum and 3in susp corrected. one is made w/ the same tubing as the prince and very expensive though the LBS owner doesn't want to sell it.

#23 ·
banks said:
You are a brave Dad! My dad made sure my first car was a VW Diesel.
I used to drive a Scorpio around Abberdeen SD for a few months; tanks but fast, quiet, smooth.
Always had a soft spot for the XR.
My dad has had a Scorpio too. For some kind of reason the right rear door sounded entirely different than the left when closing; it sounded like a monsterious huge cookie drum. Interior trim was also less pleasing for the eye and to touch than that of many European competitors. It still was a pretty good concept with it huge 5th door, impressive legroom in the rear and its standard ABS which made it Car of the Year 1986 in Europe. BTW only a few years ago our prime minister rode a low end Scorpio of 26.000 euros - very calvinistic :D Things changed unfortunately. Nowadays also armoured PM transport for Holland, so it had to be a 7-series. Our queen Beatrice still rides Coleman Milne Grosvenors (stretched Scorpios with raised roof), of which I know at least one is a landaulet.

If one would like see some quirky stretched limo's and funeral cars, one should certainly visit this Cool site: Als car page

I am so terribly sorry I went of OT again....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.