Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    slow

Northern Colorado Vintage MTB ride (Edit: now on Saturday 10/5)

I saw this flyer in the window of a local bar the other day. Sounds like fun, so I am going to ride with them. It looks like the bikes that will show up are more common than the Salsas, Bontragers, and WTB bikes our NorCal brethren have on their vintage rides, but I'm sure it will still be a good time.

Northern Colorado Vintage MTB ride Saturday 9/14-vintageride.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Broth...68472329950153
    Last edited by sgltrak; 09-19-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Edit title for date change due to flooding

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    that's great! I heard you're a great rider. Have fun! I hope somebody's nose job is all healed up and can attend as well.

mtbr member
    Please post lots of pictures after the ride.

mtbr member
    Bummer. I will be out of state this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    2 weeks too early....argh!

Stokeless Asshat
    It wasn't an nose job G. For the last time, it was augmentation!!!
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims 80's vintage 32 or 36
    Salsa or similar stem. 1" threadless. 120 with rise.

The internets are telling me this rain has a lot of your trails underwater... you guys ok up there?

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Dammit! just when I moved back to Mass have fun

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    The internets are telling me this rain has a lot of your trails underwater... you guys ok up there?
    Looks like Fort Collins missed the brunt of the storm. We got 2" of rain overnight in town here in Fort Collins, with more in the foothills. Things are pretty soggy, but not as bad as in Boulder and Lyons. Several foothills area canyons are closed. Ride organizers will be checking trail conditions tomorrow to determine whether to continue with scheduled ride.

Hey DoubleCentury, are you OK?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Looks like Fort Collins missed the brunt of the storm. We got 2" of rain overnight in town here in Fort Collins, with more in the foothills. Things are pretty soggy, but not as bad as in Boulder and Lyons. Several foothills area canyons are closed. Ride organizers will be checking trail conditions tomorrow to determine whether to continue with scheduled ride.

Hey DoubleCentury, are you OK?
    I was wondering the same thing... looks awful out there.

Northern Colorado Vintage MTB ride Saturday 9/14-article-2418493-1bc72481000005dc-368_634x632.jpg

One person killed and homes destroyed after flash floods wreak havoc in Colorado | Mail Online

Heard from DoubleCentury this morning. Bailed water out of his basement all night but seems to be ok

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Heard from DoubleCentury this morning. Bailed water out of his basement all night but seems to be ok
    Maybe he can make a homemade sump pump for next winter.

Did anybody read Nat Geo's article on what the Earth would look like if all the world's ice melted? London, Manhattan, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, almost all of Louisiana and Florida would be no more and California would have a huge inland sea. NE China would be all underwater and the entire country of Bangladesh would also be gone. A little bit of Cambodia would be an island. Anyway. Water is something else....

I've had lots of coffee already, can you tell?

slow
    Thx for the update.

Stokeless Asshat
    I would think that Blue Sky might be the better choice for rideable trails. It seems to drain quite well.

Want:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    We got 2" of rain overnight in town here
    A drizzle? Sounds like the fall rains are coming early. Broke 90 degrees here yesterday. Weird weather.

I am just glad Screaming Bunny is still accounted for. Thanks for checking in. Did you go do another tour?
    Seek: Old Mtn. Goat Bar Stem Combo.

mtbr member

Flooding

Thank you all for your concerns.

I did all I could on Wednesday night to fight off the flood waters in the basement where I store the bike collection and all of my parts inventory. The shop in the garage is fine. By 5 AM I had no choice but to hop on a plane and head to dry Washington state, leaving my wife to continue the fight. I think when I return on Tuesday I will have a lot of work ahead of myself sorting through wet bike parts and soggy literature.

These are old photos and the bike inventory has changed a lot. I have a lot of boxes on the ground and this shows a small fraction of it. Having the double decker storage system is a nice feature. I have my fingers crossed that the sewer does not back up!

Northern Colorado Vintage MTB ride Saturday 9/14-img_1391a.jpg

Northern Colorado Vintage MTB ride Saturday 9/14-img_6514a.jpg

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    I would think that Blue Sky might be the better choice for rideable trails. It seems to drain quite well.
    It is safe to say this ride will likely have to be delayed. 4" of rain in the past 2 days will not dry out by Saturday. Thoughts and prayers to all who are suffering with the floods around here. Sounds like the worst is not over and it could be a tough night for a bunch of folks.

mtbr member
    No, just didn't have a decent interwebs connection in Aurora, kinda like being deploy to the back of nowhere though Glad to hear everyone's weathering the storm OK, sure hope D.C.'s museum comes out alright.

Stokeless Asshat
    Sorry to hear DC. Swamping basements is a pain in the ars. In the middle of the night I realized that I had unplugged my sump pump a few years ago to supply power for my alarm system. Good thing I have a few hundred feet of power cord at the house. Got it just in time.
    A 15 minute bike commute to the shop turned into a 30 minute auto commute. The Poudre is over the banks in many places. Fortunately we learned our lesson back in 96. It appears all the flood control measures the city and county put in to play since then are working well. Our friends west of here are not so lucky. The fires have left a barren landscape in the mountains for mother nature to show us who's the boss.

Want:

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Pleae delay the ride so I can join. We are already registered for the Banana Belt in Salida but would love to attend a Co Vintage event. This gives me the idea that maybe we should host one of these in Steamboat, we have tons of vintage bikes in this town and it would be great to,get then out on the trails together.
    Keep us informed if the date changes for this event.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Did anybody read Nat Geo's article on what the Earth would look like if all the world's ice melted? London, Manhattan, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, almost all of Louisiana and Florida would be no more and California would have a huge inland sea. NE China would be all underwater and the entire country of Bangladesh would also be gone. A little bit of Cambodia would be an island. Anyway. Water is something else....
    No one points out the positives of any of this though. For example, currently it takes me 10 hours to drive to the beach. With no ice caps, I could be at the beach in 45 minutes. That's a positive.

Good luck TD (and other in Colorado). Hopefully there's not too much damage.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

slow
    To those who were considering joining this ride, the ride organizers have a new date of October 5 on their Facebook page now.

Sun is out here in Fort Collins now!

mtbr member
    My uncle just drove from Fort Collins to DIA and it took 8 hours, with a detour to Sterling!

mtbr member

No Carpet!

It looks a lot different now with no carpet left.

I have boxes and boxes of soggy bike parts to sort through.

Northern Colorado Vintage MTB ride Saturday 9/14-photo-2-.jpg

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    It looks a lot different now with no carpet left.

I have boxes and boxes of soggy bike parts to sort through.
    Sorry to hear about the carpet and wet bike parts, but glad to hear it wasn't worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast