mtbr member

non-MTB restoration, 1960's Pierce Arrow racer

While I was on my break from MTBs, I got into restoring vintage road bikes. This one is my favorite, it's an early 1960s Pierce Arrow road bike, dated as best I can tell to the early '60s based on the model of Huret Allvit components it had. It had aluminum Atom hubs and Weinmann rims and brakes.

Pierce Arrow originally made bikes (and cars) in Buffalo, NY, but this one was from after the naming was sold to another company, and this bike was made in France. Information on the internet about these bikes seems to be non-existent, and the local bicycle museum and Pierce Arrow museum could offer no information either. Basic tubing and no lugs, this was a middle of the road bike, but from before the 70s bike boom when lots of garbage started coming out.

I found it in the basement of a local bike shop, and embarked on a winter project. It had obviously been sitting for a long time, and the paint was heavily oxidized. Though it was rather dirty, most of what you see is oxidization. The original Brooks saddle was dry-rotted beyond repair.

As purchased:

I did restore all the original components and put them aside, but decided to make it an interpretation of an old track bike with modern wheels to make it more functional. Finding a square taper bottom bracket spindle that would space modern cranks correctly and fit within the french bottom bracket cups was quiet a search. It took days of polishing to bring the paint back, and some of the original pin striping is still visible. It came out fairly light at 25lbs, and rides great, although the track bars make longer rides a chore.

The bike still has its original bike shop sticker, S. Bellitte and Sons, reportedly the oldest operating bike shop in the country.

Its not a Reynolds-tubed Campagnolo Super Record bike, but I'm very happy with how it turned out and I've never seen another one, anywhere. Anyway, thought I'd share.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Looks like some serious elbow grease went into it, sweet!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Only cause it's a Pierce, here's mine, from before they made cars, 1896...

Looks like a fun project, nice work not going *too* far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    You'll get more love from a road bike forum. Lots of efffort there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You'll get more love from a road bike forum. Lots of efffort there.
    Nice re-direct. You gave this bike a new lease on life, good job.

mtbr member
    Thanks all! It gets ridden quite a lot and was well worth it. I read Road Bike Review occasionally but don't spend that much time over there

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Only cause it's a Pierce, here's mine, from before they made cars, 1896...

Looks like a fun project, nice work not going *too* far.

Now that is cool. I'd love to get into some turn of the century vintage restoration or collecting, or even do a 40-60s racer to period correct spec. Since this one wasn't that special, I made it a rider rather than a museum piece. There is some really cool stuff locally at this place: Pedaling History Bicycle Museum

ahh new 29er wheels or another winter project....

Quote Originally Posted by breckenridge View Post
    There is some really cool stuff locally at this place: Pedaling History Bicycle Museum
    Now I'm confused.

I'm in Rochester.

Been there.

Knew they were closing a while back.

Even heard all the sadness surrounding the entire collection being sold to some deep pocketed Euro collector who was planning on selling it all off, rather than keeping the collection.

Are you telling me they are still open and kept the collection?

That place was/is unreal.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sadly, I checked and it is closed. I thought the sale had fallen through and the collection could still be toured on request, but it has been years since I was there. I just did a search and the original owner passed away earlier this year. We do still have the Pierce Arrow museum but that is more focused on cars.

Bummer, you had me hoping for a minute there.

Yeah, Mom and son were running it when we stopped by a few years back.

Absolutely sucks that it got sold to someone who will break it up, just so wrong...

And hell yes, the PA museum needs to get with the program.

I guess it would chafe motorists skivvies if they knew that it took the motor industry close to 30 years of vehicle production before they could come up with something not previously patented by us, those nuisance cyclists.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Really cool, love the worn decals with the buffed out paint.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    way cool..thanks!