mtbr member

Ninja SS granny & RF turbine cranks- spacing problem

xpost on drivetrain late last week, but haven't got any replies over there.

I don't seem to have the correct spacers to get this nos sakae stainless 'ninja' granny ring out far enough from the mid ring on some old Turbines (# 0616 on the back of the arms). 4mm spacers aren't cutting it.
    Oh, and the mid ring is an Onza 'buzz saw'. The spacing appears fine between the big (RF) & middle rings but is obviously too narrow to the granny by eyeballing it.

Any suggestions on size of spacers before I go to the hardware store and find some washers the space it out some more? (struck out at the LB shops, nobody w/ oldschool knowledge around)

or, what should the spacing be between chainrings? I couldn't seem to come up with it on any searches.

These are going on a '95 Norco TNT frame I'll post up when I'm done (I just drilled out the cable stops to get her back into full gearie mode).
    thanks,
    Serge
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    I don't seem to have the correct spacers to get this nos sakae stainless 'ninja' granny ring out far enough from the mid ring on some old Turbines (# 0616 on the back of the arms). 4mm spacers aren't cutting it.
    I think you answered your own question. You don't have the right spacers. If you want to set the ring at the same distance from a shimano crank (large to middle = 7.3mm; middle to small = 8mm), you might need an assortment of spacers to get it dialed. QBP sells spacers in the following widths: 1.2mm, 2.0mm, 2.2mm, 3.0mm, 3.5mm, 4.0mm, 5.0mm, 6.0mm, 7.1mm, 5.3mm (for XTR inner - this might be the one you need???) and 8.3mm.

mtbr member
    Thanks SSmike, that's just what I needed!
    8mm from midline of mid to gran', I'm assuming, no?
    I'll need to double check width to the buzzsaw too, since it came with some spacers originally, but only with instructions for shimano cranks (RIP the m730's, they finally kicked the bucket).
    ciao,
    Serge

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    (large to middle = 7.3mm; middle to small = 8mm), you might need an assortment of spacers to get it dialed. QBP sells spacers in the following widths: 1.2mm, 2.0mm, 2.2mm, 3.0mm, 3.5mm, 4.0mm, 5.0mm, 6.0mm, 7.1mm, 5.3mm (for XTR inner - this might be the one you need???) and 8.3mm.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    8mm from midline of mid to gran', I'm assuming, no?
    I'll need to double check width to the buzzsaw too,
    If I remember right, even the middle buzz saws was a simple flat ring that was the thickness of the chain size. In this case, the ring might be 3/32" thick - same for the Ninja which was SR's answer to the buzz saw. Aluminum rings are thicker and then the teeth were machined. You might need to also offset your middle ring a mm or so from the large ring. This is why there were all them spacers with the buzz saw. I've got a buzz saw on an old bike with a Ritchey crank. I'll try to remember to give it a quick measure.

And, yes, 8mm from midddle to granny (measure center to center or inside to inside - both will yield the same dimension).