mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New-to-us, immaculate Ibis Cousin It tandem

No, we did *not* build a time machine. Yes, we do now own an immaculate, classic, one-owner, steel Ibis Cousin It tandem.

This bike has already been updated with XTR brakes and rear derailleur, and Ultegra STI shifters/levers. It also came with the rear rack and some matching, purpley Madden panniers. We’ll be throwing on some wider 26” gravel-grinding tires, and making some comfort/fit tweaks for both positions.

My long-time shop buddy sold this exact bike to the original owners when he owned his own shop many years ago, and helped them find "worthy owners" (us) when they were ready to sell it.

I've had two Cannondale mountain tandems, a Santana mountain tandem, and a Santana road tandem in the past. I'm more excited about the Cousin It than any of those previous two-seaters. The Ibis won't likely see much single track, but will get use on asphalt and gravel roads/trails. We’re looking forward to enjoying this splatter-painted beaut!

Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New-to-us, immaculate Ibis Cousin It tandem-ibiscousinit.jpg  

I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig View Post
    No, we did *not* build a time machine. Yes, we do now own an immaculate, classic, one-owner, steel Ibis Cousin It tandem.
    I call BS. That's a 2 owner bike.

Seriously though, that's awesome. Great score and what a practical classic!

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    I call BS. That's a 2 owner bike.

Seriously though, that's awesome. Great score and what a practical classic!

Grumps
    LOL. Touche. You are correct, Uncle Grumpy. Thanks!

artistic...
    How is those road levers playing w/ v brakes? Travel agents?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    How is those road levers playing w/ v brakes? Travel agents?
    Yes, exactly...Travel Agents.

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Looks super. Glad it found a home for someone who appreciates it.

When I see these old school tandems with one pair of rim brakes for two people it just highlights that disc brakes are for pussies and we have all gotten soft.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crudley View Post
    Looks super. Glad it found a home for someone who appreciates it.

When I see these old school tandems with one pair of rim brakes for two people it just highlights that disc brakes are for pussies and we have all gotten soft.
    Thanks, and I certainly do appreciate this old-school steel. It'll give my beautiful SS/fixed Steelman Eurocross some good company.

LOL. All of my former tandems have had V-brakes (that worked great) with a couple minor exceptions. My 2000 Cannondale MT2000 came with Magura hydraulic rim brakes...hated the feel. I removed & sold them, and installed XT V-brakes. My '99 Santana Rio had a Formula rear disc brake (with linear-pull in the front). This was an early hydro disc that was finicky...not impressed with that one either.

I do love Avid BB7 mechanical discs on a couple other bikes. Even so, I have zero worries about these XTR V-brakes. I will be replacing the STI shifters with bar-end shifters and some Cane Creek Drop V levers that are designed to work with V-brakes, so the Travel Agents will be moved to my daughter's Specialized Rock Hopper single speed hipster bike project.

Craig

slower than you
    Goodness. Shaq could stoke that thing. So roomy out back.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    Goodness. Shaq could stoke that thing. So roomy out back.
    True!

I hit the bike shop today and ordered a bunch of parts for the Ibis. I also picked up some Frame Saver, which I'll be using once I finish prepping the inside of the seat tubes.

On the way...
    • Salsa Cowchipper front bars (46cm)
    • Cane Creek Deep V Road Levers
    • Dura-Ace bar-end shifters
    • Threaded-to-threadless stem adapter
    • Ritchey 4-axis adjustable stem
    • Profile Design Stoker 26 rear bars
    • 2 sets of Purple RaceFace Chester pedals
    • Schwalbe Marathon Mondial HS 428 26" x 2.0" tires

I'll likely be ordering a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST seatpost for my wife, but figured we'd give the USE post a try first once we get the other parts installed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Frame Saver has now been applied. Tires have been swapped over to 26" x 2.0" Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires (they look great!). Front & rear bars have been swapped. Cane Creek Drop V levers are mounted.

I still need to replace the front seatpost & both seatpost clamps (stealth black), install bar end shifters & cables, wrap the bars, and reinstall the front BB/cranks after I clean up the drivetrain. It's coming along. I'm looking forward to the maiden ride with my wife.

Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New-to-us, immaculate Ibis Cousin It tandem-ibispartialgravelconversion.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I realized I never posted a follow-up picture. This photo was on the 19-mile maiden voyage my wife and I took on the bike. Everything performed beautifully, and there's plenty of stoker cockpit room. It was my wife's first time on a tandem, and she enjoyed it a lot, despite being a little "type-A".

We may still add a short-travel suspension rear post...not sure yet.

Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New-to-us, immaculate Ibis Cousin It tandem-ibis_complete.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My stoker is happy about our new Thudbuster short travel suspension post on the roadie tandem. It works better than the telescoping posts. Cane Creek has introduced a new lightweight gram-counter version of that post called the eeSilk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whatisaidwas View Post
    My stoker is happy about our new Thudbuster short travel suspension post on the roadie tandem. It works better than the telescoping posts. Cane Creek has introduced a new lightweight gram-counter version of that post called the eeSilk.
    Good to know, and thanks for the feedback/first-hand experience. Much appreciated.