mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New member intro showin off my vintage rides

Hey everyone, been reading through the various forums and thought I'd post up my vintage rides

First up is my Bianchi commuter
    This bike was a 1991 interbike show bike that was built with lame parts. Went to go see it at the Bianchi warehouse and fell in love with it. It definetly gets ridden the most out of all my bikes. Built with cast off parts itís a mix of XT/XTR with a smattering of aftermarket parts. A Ringle trail stem. Mavic headset, Avid tri align brakes. I plan to retire this frame soon and replace it with a Klein Pinnacle frame.

M2 S-works
    This was my cross country race ike that I rode until I stopped racing in í98 itís been a great bike and Iíve built it up just the way I like it. XTR drivetrain, Whiteís hubs, citron mavice 217ís, Raceface cranks and BB, Rock shox Judy SL, Chris King headset. Iím toying with the idea of switching out the frames with a Klein pulse I bought off of craigslist

Klein Pinnacle
    I bought this sweet gem for my Girlfriend to ride from Craigslist for $200. Didnít look like it was ridden much at all. My girlfreind likes to brag to her friends that it was the MTB from Seinfelds apartment.

Tomassini
    Iíve had this bike for over 20 years. Started out having Campagnolo Record which was terrible so over the years I slowly pieced it together with period Dura Ace components. Doesnít get ridden as much as it should but it will

Kestrel Talon Fixie
    My teenage son is into riding Fixieís. I built this up so Iíd have something to ride with him. Itís really light and it gives me street cred with with my Son and his buddies

Easy Racer Tour Easy recumbent
    Back in college, my buddy who owns a bike shop took one of these in trade. I rode it around for a year and fell in love with it. Just couldnít afford to buy one at the time. A Few months ago I picked this up off of Craigslist and Iíved used it to commute back and forth to work several times.

Schwinn Klunker 5
    I bought this bike for my Dad about 20 years ago. He rode it around quite a bit and upon his passing, I brought it home were it languished in my shed for years with a broken axle. Last year I got the bug to restore it so I stripped it to the frame, polished up the original paint and rebuilt it back up. It rides super smooth.

Specialized Enduro
    Back in the 90ís when I was downhill racing I kept breaking mongooseís and eventually ended up with a POS mongoose VRS frame. That head tube was tiny and it allways gave me the heebie jeebieís riding it with the boxxer triple clamp on it. My Son started borrowing it to ride and thatís when I decided the change the frame to something more beefy. So I found this enduro frame on craigslist. Used a few old parts, a few new parts from ebay. Overall I love it, itís plush. I just got to buy another one so I can get this one back from my son.

Last edited by shodog; 03-20-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by shodog View Post

M2 S-works
    This was my cross country race ike that I rode until I stopped racing in í98 itís been a great bike and Iíve built it up just the way I like it. XTR drivetrain, Whiteís hubs, citron mavice 217ís, Raceface cranks and BB, Rock shox Judy SL, Chris King headset. Iím toying with the idea of switching out the frames with a Klein pulse I bought off of craigslist

Thats really really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by shodog View Post

Kestrel Talon Fixie
    My teenage son is into riding Fixieís. I built this up so Iíd have something to ride with him. Itís really light and it gives me street cred with with my Son and his buddies

NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Belt some sense into your son with that bar and then turn that lovely Kestrel back into a bike please.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Might I suggest that if you are ever angry with your son, don socks and sandals and ride the recumbent so that his friends will see you.

mtbr member
    Welcome, nice collection you have there. Your CL sounds better than mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Belt some sense into your son with that bar and then turn that lovely Kestrel back into a bike please.
    Iím the guilty culprit in this matter. Iíve thought about switching out road bike frames and making my Tomassini into a fixie But I just canít bring myself to hang all those old Dura-Ace parts on the Talon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    Might I suggest that if you are ever angry with your son, don socks and sandals and ride the recumbent so that his friends will see you.
    You forgot about the requisite Neck beard. Last weekend I was out witht he family on a ride and sure enough I saw some old codger on a tour easy. I guess thatís what Iíll eventually morph into.
    Quote Originally Posted by chefmiguel View Post
    Welcome, nice collection you have there. Your CL sounds better than mine.
    Iíve been lucky with CL here in the bay area. Lots of people with more money than sense and let their old stuff go for cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    haha! That's awesome.

artistic...
    Love the Tommasini. SLx or EL OS?
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I dig the Tommassini also. Back when I began road racing in the late 80's- early 90's, an Italian frame with Campy parts was THE standard. Then along came Dura Ace STI and the game changed. I have a 1990 Merckx that I built up recently and I had almost complete groups of 1990 Campy and 1990 Dura Ace STI (7400 series) to choose from. The Campy does look prettier, but I couldn't give up the functional superiority of Dura Ace. After 23 years of use those shifters still work like a charm and the dual pivot brakes stop on a dime.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by always_last View Post
    I dig the Tommassini also. Back when I began road racing in the late 80's- early 90's, an Italian frame with Campy parts was THE standard. Then along came Dura Ace STI and the game changed. I have a 1990 Merckx that I built up recently and I had almost complete groups of 1990 Campy and 1990 Dura Ace STI (7400 series) to choose from. The Campy does look prettier, but I couldn't give up the functional superiority of Dura Ace. After 23 years of use those shifters still work like a charm and the dual pivot brakes stop on a dime.
    Thing is.. any campy group will feel right on a race bike. Shimano has Dura ace and maybe, maybe Ulteghra. I had 105 on a pinarello and the thing cleaked and cracked(brake/shifters) whenever i rode over a bump. Not to mention it looked cheap and wrong,. Campy lasts, feels good, looks good.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Campy lasts, feels good, looks good.
    Shimano wears out. Campy wears in.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Campy looks beautiful and granted I have not ridden the lastest stuff but way back when there was a huge difference between the Campy and the Dura-Ace in the smoothness of shifting.