mtbr member
    Nov 2016

New guy with ID question ? Chrome Ritchey ?

Hello everyone,

I just joined today,I hope I am posting this in the right spot .Mods please move or delete if I screwed up .I was guided to come here from a member on another forum where I was asking for help. Looks like I found the right place. I have searched the web with not much luck finding exactly what I have. I would like to pinpoint just what this frame is. If original the brakes date it to 87-89 . Sorry for the newb questions,any help would be greatly appreciated. The black bars/stem came with the bike,the bull moose bars are just something I had on hand and thought I would see what they looked like paired with it.I can take more detailed pics if that helps.Thanks

New guy with ID question ? Chrome Ritchey ?-img_1045.jpgNew guy with ID question ? Chrome Ritchey ?-img_1058.jpgNew guy with ID question ? Chrome Ritchey ?-img_1087-001.jpgNew guy with ID question ? Chrome Ritchey ?-img_1091.jpgNew guy with ID question ? Chrome Ritchey ?-img_1095.jpgNew guy with ID question ? Chrome Ritchey ?-img_1102.jpgNew guy with ID question ? Chrome Ritchey ?-img_1105.jpg

artistic...
    Ritchey? Really?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the forum!

The frame is definitely not a Ritchey, but I'm not sure what it is. The gusset at the head tube is pretty unique. Hopefully someone here will recognize it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thank you. Sorry about the confusion,I was told it was a Ritchey .Hopefully someone will recognize it .

Air Pirate
    It looks like a Ross.

Late 1980's Ross Mt. Bike Models - differences

rosshitech.jpg

1986 Mt Whitney or Mt Hood?

MOMBAT: Ross Bicycles History

I had a 1984 Mt Whitney and a 1985 Mt Hood...both had the Ritchey style bullmoose bars and regular canti brakes. Ross switched to the separate handlebar and that bulbous ended stem and the roller-cam brakes (moved the rear to under the chainstays) in 1986.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hmmm, that sounds about right, I was also thinking maybe an early Mongoose mountain bike, but the R points to Ross. In either case, you got a nice collection of "early" parts there. Enjoy the build

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    It looks like a Ross.

Late 1980's Ross Mt. Bike Models - differences

rosshitech.jpg

1986 Mt Whitney or Mt Hood?

MOMBAT: Ross Bicycles History

I had a 1984 Mt Whitney and a 1985 Mt Hood...both had the Ritchey style bullmoose bars and regular canti brakes. Ross switched to the separate handlebar and that bulbous ended stem and the roller-cam brakes (moved the rear to under the chainstays) in 1986.
    Wow,great info . Thanks everyone,glad to solve this mystery. Looks like I will build it with the bullmooe bars. Strangely enough they came from a 1983 Ross that I rescued that I found frozen in a snow bank and hit by the snowplow.

Your help is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    First time posting or replying here. I just picked up a bike today....exact same frame and unicrown fork. Ross decal on headtube. Tange MTB triple butted Cro-Mo tubes. Decal at bottom of seat tube says "Designed and Engineered by Ross Bicycles, Allentown, PA. No other decals. cable routing under downtube, dogbone stem, riser bars, roller brakes. Suntour XC Sport derailleurs, Sakae CR crank. Beartrap pedals. Araya rims, Suntour XC Sport hubs. So far I have not been able to pinpoint the model. BB stamped: RT6 C4058 Sorry, no pics right now but will post when I take them. I just have this I took when I got home this evening. I rode out and picked it up, so it's sitting on the B.o.B. Wish to know the model and year also. New guy with ID question ? Chrome Ritchey ?-dscn0901.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Bockchoicowboy: That's it! The model I have. Exactly this model in your rosshitech.jpg. link. I just viewed it. Still can't make out the model, mine has the decals removed.