mtbr member
    Mar 2014

New drivetrain for 1st gen Jekyll recommendations

I have an older Jekyll that I would like to upgrade the drivetrain on. It still has the CODA crankset, older XTR RD, an older XT FD, and I just upgraded the shifters to a XTR 9spd models. I am thinking of going to a 2x drivetrain due to the fact that I never use the big ring. Actually I rarely use the small ring either. With that said, I am open to a 1x drivetrain as well. I would like to stick with upper end components. My plan is to ride the bike until the rear non replaceable shock (trunnion mount), is no longer useable, then get a new frame and use these components on it. I have already upgraded the brakes with the XT 785's and ice tech rotor on the rear and going to do the same in the front on the lefty shock. What I need are some good suggestions. Looking at going full XT or XT/XTR 10spd mix. Open to SRAM as well. I am a novice rider, who rides in the southeast...mainly coastal, and some SORBA trails. Bike is 30lbs as it sits, would like it to be a bit lighter. There are some good deals out there on 10spd gear. So shoot with suggestions and questions. Thanks.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Sounds like you have it pretty well nailed down, I'd go Shimano over $ram all day long though....

$425 cassettes? Blow me.

Just FYI, pretty sure Risse Racing makes a replacement rear shock for that mount design, guess you'll have to keep on riding it

Also, while it is old, it's not really in the scope of this forum (think early/mid 90's as the virtual, drop dead cutoff depending on brand), you might have better luck posting on the Drivetrains board, but some of the regulars around here do own newer stuff too.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You're right Risse Racing makes two models for my particular model! Looked them up since my shock is no longer PUSH-able. Very interesting! May have to jump on one of those bad boys.
    Yeah I figured my bike was vintage...its a MY2000. The model is 3000SL. Got it for $250 bucks!!
    MendonCycleSmith, I plan on having my front Lefty serviced. Its one of their older models, I think just known as DLR. Its black with yellow logos. Pretty basic, but its really light. Didn't have any weirdness about it, just got on the bike and hit the trails. Worked like a charm. But with it being so old, not sure if it was ever serviced. Oh and I am thinking I need a new front lefty hub too because if I want to put a new 180mm rotor on the front I have to change out the CODA 4 bolt hub. I have been looking at Project321 products, and am leaning that way... although am open to all brands. The front wheel is a Sun Rims DS1-XC 32H. They seem okay, even though I know nothing about wheels other than they are round.
    Oh the catalog says my BB is a Shimano Ultegera...weird.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by usmceric1 View Post
    Yeah I figured my bike was vintage...its a MY2000.
    That's not vintage around these parts. But the Jeckyll is a classic so it can slip through under the "C" in "VRC". The Jeckyll was innovative, being the first ever bike to offer adjustable geometry via a trunion mount. Well, first ever after the GT LTS a few years earlier, but marketing departments have selective memory. In all seriousness, the Jeckyll was a great bike.

The front wheel is a Sun Rims DS1-XC 32H. They seem okay, even though I know nothing about wheels other than they are round.
    DS-1a are good rims. They were Sun's XC lighter disc brake XC rim for a long time. I have had a set of DS-1s built into Hope hubs for about 12 years and over 50,000km. They are bit scratched and not exactly fresh looking, but they have stayed true and round for that time. I rate them.

Oh the catalog says my BB is a Shimano Ultegera...weird.
    Yeah, Cannondale specced road components sometimes in the hope that something would snap before the frame did. Hehehe...

Grumps

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yeah, if you want to go 180, you'll need a new hub. P321 are beautiful, blingtacular, and will do a great job. That said, the Cannondale version is about $60 cheaper and will work just as well if you're on a budget.

They spec'd the Ultegra due to it being the version of Octalink spindle they needed to work with their Coda cranks. Worked great, lasted forever pretty much, as long as you were careful mounting them so you didn't crush the splining inside the arms....

Lefty, if it's working, cool. Not a bad idea to get eyeballs inside sometime soon to make sure you don't have any potential issues before you really hit it hard.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com