mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Need to replace a rim on my old Stumpjumper

i hate starting new threads & was tempted to post this in the "Official Specy Photo Thread" but a question doesn't really seem approriate there so here ya go.

i was stupid this past weekend...

its been a while since my '86 Stumpy Sport got a good workout so i took it single-tracking on sunday intending to go easy. then some buddies i ran into ridiculed it as "not a real mtb". i fell into their trap, had to show them that an old guy on an old bike could keep up, & now am paying the price.

taco'd my rear wheel & need to find a replacement rim...

i do use this bike regularly for around town riding so want to fix it quickly - don't have the time (or expertise & resources) to look for a correct Saturae X28 rim.

does the forum have any suggestions for a easy-to-find, modern new rim that looks as close as possible to original?

thanx in advance for your help...

Humanoid Lobster
    Perhaps someone else will chime in with better info, but my suggestions are 1) ebay, search for "Saturae" repeat as needed until one comes up at a price you can bear. 2) a Sun CR-18 rim in silver. Can easily be obtained, from QBP among others.

The Sun is not a very close match, but is available in silver and is inexpensive and easy to obtain. The anodizing on those Saturae's is kind of unique, so you may want to hold out for an original if you want a perfect match. As far as I know there is no source for them other than secondhand.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

Formerly Carlos9
    Not sure where you're located (or if they're even the correct wheel set!) but if they are, the cost of shipping might be worth it.

Vintage Specialized Stumpjumper wheelset
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

mtbr member
    PM me. I have a couple that I don't need and I could give one away... but you'll have to come get it. (I hate shipping.)
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    thanx for your suggestions Jak0zilla...

ive been on & continue to watch fleabay, found a pair of x26s but not going for them (yet?). cr18 was my 1st thought but it looks so different. what do you think of a velocity aeroheat? to me the profile seems fairly close to my old rim. am looking at some weinmanns too.

thanx for the offer iamkeith, that would be great but...pm sent

anybody else have any ideas?

Humanoid Lobster
    I've not built with the Velocitys. I think they're more of a "V" than the x26's which are more of a broad "U". I think of the Sun CR-18's as being more retro looking than the Velocity rims. (All just subjective opinion on my part.) I also don't like that the Velocity's are un-eyeletted, they are double walled at least.

I wouldn't buy the Aeroheats, but I'm a big old grouch about stuff like that. I'd go with a Mavic XM-117 before I'd do the V's. Just my humble $.02 worth of opinion.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Here you go.....
    Vintage Specialized Stumpjumper wheelset

Complete x28 wheelset

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    I've not built with the Velocitys. I think they're more of a "V" than the x26's which are more of a broad "U". I think of the Sun CR-18's as being more retro looking than the Velocity rims. (All just subjective opinion on my part.) I also don't like that the Velocity's are un-eyeletted, they are double walled at least.

I wouldn't buy the Aeroheats, but I'm a big old grouch about stuff like that. I'd go with a Mavic XM-117 before I'd do the V's. Just my humble $.02 worth of opinion.
    The Synergy would be a good choice. Eyeletted and a box profile like the CR18. Pretty light too, at around 460g for a 559/26" if I recall correctly.

The Aeroheat is a killer rim though if I do say so myself. I have them on my touring/commuting bike. It's the same extrusion as our Dyad rim, which is a favorite among touring enthusiasts, but in a 559 rolling.

Personally, I prefer a non-eyeletted rim, but there's decent arguments for both sides.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)