mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Need help identifying lugs/Braze on's on my Rocky Mountain Equipe please

Hello everyone, I'm puzzled as to the purpose of the these "bits" in the photo's they are called lugs/Braze on's? They are on my 1996 Rocky Mountain Equipe. Any suggestions to there purpose would be great. The 1st photo is above the rear brakes, i thought that perhaps the brakes had been upgraded (They are currently Decore V) and the "lugs" were from the previous brakes? You will see that there's a hole that's currently unplugged that rain could easily enter, i guess it would be best to insert a plug? On that note how many of you steel bike owners have bothered with rust inhibitors, i'm planning on using this as my Rainy day commuter, should i bother or did Rocky Mountain treat all it's bikes with a rust inhibitor at the factory?

Oh one last thing, i've included a photo of the eight speed rapid shifters, they are standalone (ie not connected to the brake levers) any idea as to what level they are perhaps Decore, the model number is too darn small to read under the lever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help identifying lugs/Braze on's on my Rocky Mountain Equipe please-equipe4.jpg  

Need help identifying lugs/Braze on's on my Rocky Mountain Equipe please-april-10-136.jpg  

Need help identifying lugs/Braze on's on my Rocky Mountain Equipe please-equipe6.jpg  

Last edited by tats; 04-03-2010 at 05:01 PM.

AZ
    banned
    The braze ons look like rack braze ons and the center one looks like a canti-brake cable hanger . Cant help with the shifters , sorry .

mtbr member
    Yep, the two on either side are for a rack, the one above is the cable hanger for cantilever brakes, and the one below on the seat stay bridge is for a fender. And they are braze ons, not lugs. Lugs are the joints that connect tubes together (and your RM doesn't have them).

A shot of the top of the shifter might help someone ID it for you.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Shifters look like a later model Alivio to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the info guys, regarding the rack braze ons, what would the rack be used for and what would it look like, a link to a photo would be super if possible.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    cue Nate's Monster Fat in 3, 2, 1....

mtbr member
    Haha.
    Monster Fat dirt drop project

Any standard rack for 26" wheels would work if you wanted one. The bike pictured in the thread above doesn't have the braze ons that yours does, so I mounted the rack using the seat post binder.

Used for carrying your wounded pride after making bad color choices.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ahhhh we Kiwi's call it a carrier, rather than rack. now i see what you guys mean. Many thanks for clarifying it!

mtbr member
    here's a pic of cantis using the cable hanger: