Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need help to identify what looks like an old Ritchey complete bike from the mid 80's

10K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  girlonbike 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to mtb too! I recently went back to my parent's house to bring back my old mtb at my apartment. I started to ride a little with it and realized I don't even know which Brand / Model / Year it is for real.

Since then I'm trying to find out more about this bike which may be old but ride greatly!

I have made a little website to keep track of what I discover about my Unknown Bike and need help to fill the numerous blanks. If somebody could take a look here http://unknownbike.iampm.org to study the pictures and information about the bike to help me, it would be very nice!

And yes, I already asked for information at Ritchey Logic ... I did not receive anything helpful but a link to the oldmountainbikes.com's website which I already consulted to find out that I'm stuck at the same place as I am right now.

Thank you very much!

#30 ·
kb11 said:
Sweet!!!! another Canapurna :thumbsup: looks clean , the stem/bars and shifters look like an upgrade.
Actually it's not too bad aside from a lot of paint wear - it had be used as a commuter by someone who knew nothing about bikes. The bar and stem are Ritchey Force, a couple of years too new for this bike but better that the high rise stem and 5 degree steel bar that had sadly replaced the Nitto bulls at some point in the bikes life. Rear derailleur in not Deerhead - there is a RD-L525 Light Action fitted for some reason - lovely Suntour pedals are missing and the back wheel is a Weinmann POC on a Formula hub. Still it's my first Ritchey (sort of) and I didn't pay very much for it, so I have some affection for it.

This was actually sold by a LBS in Kitchener, Ontario so they were obviously available across Canada - any idea of how many were made? I only know of 3 - Yours, mine and the First flight one. Did it have a model name?

#32 ·
mechagouki said:
This was actually sold by a LBS in Kitchener, Ontario so they were obviously available across Canada - any idea of how many were made? I only know of 3 - Yours, mine and the First flight one. Did it have a model name?
I think this is a '86 model. I have no idea how many were made, they must be quite rare as only 3 have surfaced so far :D

#34 ·
MERK26 said:
I`ve got a 1985 Fiora San Remo that looks awfully similar. Makes me wonder if they came out of the same factory. It`s Tange tubing however...
Almost all frames built in Japan came from either National Panasonic, for lugged frames or Toyo for tig'd frames

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.