mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Need help with 1988 Cannondale

I recently bought a Cannondale frame that was destined for the scrap yard. Based on the serial number, it is a 1988. I have been through the Cannondale catalogs, but have not been able to match it to any model in the 1988 catalog. My frame appears to be polished aluminum with green Cannondale lettering on the bottom tube (not the top tube as shown in the catalog). The head badge is red and green and looks like the newer style used in 1990 and later. The "Made in USA" sticker on the seat tube has a green background.

Is there a model that matches this description? Or is it more likely that sometime in this frame's lifetime, someone stripped the paint and put on replacement stickers?

I am unable to post pictures right now because the frame is out at the welding shop getting a hairline crack in the left chain stay repaired.

I want to restore the bike, but I need to identify what it is. I would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Humanoid Lobster
    Sounds very much like a stripped and re-badged frame.

Pictures would be helpful in order for anyone to give a better answer.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I don't claim to be an expert on Cannondales. I don't claim to be an expert on much at all really, but I am good with Googling stuff.

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/year/1988/1988.pdf

That website has great catalog scans. Nothing in polished aluminium there, but I didn't look at the other year catalogs on the site. Like you say, could be a strip'n'polish job, particularly if the serial is definitely a 1988 and the decals are from another year.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    I don't claim to be an expert on Cannondales. I don't claim to be an expert on much at all really, but I am good with Googling stuff.

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/year/1988/1988.pdf

That website has great catalog scans. Nothing in polished aluminium there, but I didn't look at the other year catalogs on the site. Like you say, could be a strip'n'polish job, particularly if the serial is definitely a 1988 and the decals are from another year.

Grumps
    I'm a pretty fair Googler too. I will post pictures after I get it back from the welding shop.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Could just be a resticker too, as the polished frames didn't have any clear coat, and the stickers did get munged up pretty easily with use.

Vintage Cannondale is your friend on this one.

Thing to recall also, at days end, models generally had far more to do with the parts, than the frame, particularly in the earlier years. Same frame, better parts, equalled better bike.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Once, you post pictures, the location and a picture of the serial number I should be able to help. I am no expert either but I am a long time fan of Cannondales and have owned and still own several. Vintage Cannondale, is a great source as stated above, see the Gallery for detailed examples of the different models.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by irideiam View Post
    Once, you post pictures, the location and a picture of the serial number I should be able to help. I am no expert either but I am a long time fan of Cannondales and have owned and still own several. Vintage Cannondale, is a great source as stated above, see the Gallery for detailed examples of the different models.
    I picked up the frame from the welding shop today. The welds need a little finishing work, but they look good and strong. I'll try to post photos tonight. I have been pouring through everything at Vintage Cannondale, including catalogs and SN information, ever since I bought the frame 2 weeks ago. The frame SN is 5201088xxxx (no need to post the actual sequence number).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by papakeith View Post
    I picked up the frame from the welding shop today. The welds need a little finishing work, but they look good and strong. I'll try to post photos tonight. I have been pouring through everything at Vintage Cannondale, including catalogs and SN information, ever since I bought the frame 2 weeks ago. The frame SN is 5201088xxxx (no need to post the actual sequence number).
    Where on the frame is the SN# located?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The SN is on the left chain stay. Here are some photos of the fram as it looks today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Having problems uploading photos. Keep getting a upload failure when I attempt to upload them. Any tips?

Big Gulps, Alright!
    If it was made in 88, then it's possible it was an '89.