Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Name that........brake arm.

760 views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  ssmike 
#1 ·
I vaguely remember this, Im thinking Bontrager or IRD, but not sure. I only have the one unfortunately... Anybody recognize this?

Sorry for the lousy pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
well

the bontragers weremade out of big hunks of aluminium, one piece that was machined down for the hardware and rollers, at least the ones that keith sent me are, so i don't now if all of them were this way or not. the ones in your pics look to be steel plates sandwiched together with the mounting hardware, kind of look like the IRD. but then again i'm not too certain on any of this.

what did it come off of dave?

over and out
nate

#10 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
Ive seen this before, I just dont remember what or where.
Me too. Like it's on the tip of my tongue (fingers). Based on the canti type roller - I can only think of IRD, Paul or maybe marinovativ. Does the roller have a sealed bearing like WTB rollers or just a brass bushing like Suntour's? It almost has a prototype-ish look to it.

I'm going to venture a guess that it's a prototype Bontrager (weren't they all prototypes?)

#11 ·
ssmike said:
Me too. Like it's on the tip of my tongue (fingers). Based on the canti type roller - I can only think of IRD, Paul or maybe marinovativ. Does the roller have a sealed bearing like WTB rollers or just a brass bushing like Suntour's? It almost has a prototype-ish look to it.

I'm going to venture a guess that it's a prototype Bontrager (weren't they all prototypes?)
Well, it came from Santa Cruz. It was in Tim Sullivan's (bro of Jim Sullivan the Ritchey Masters champ) shop. He only had the one and let me have it when he noticed that it intriqued me. I thought it might make a nice paper weight until I find its twin someday. ;)

He also had some weird Ritchey brake levers that have adjustable leverage by sliding out the cable attachment point and rotating it. Much like an eccentric bb if you will. Has anybody seen these? I'll try and post some pics.

Back to the brake. It does look very prototypical. Its pretty rough. No bearings on the roller I dont think, it sure doesnt spin like it has bearings. And you can see those marks on it indicating where to shave material possibly. Bontrager seems likely in my foggy memory banks, but it could be Marinovative or IRD like everybody's saying... Hmmm. With Nate, Uphiller (the brake fiend), and you drawing blanks we might never crack this one. Actually I should email a pic to Keith. That might do it.

#12 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
Well, it came from Santa Cruz. It was in Tim Sullivan's (bro of Jim Sullivan the Ritchey Masters champ) shop.
Funny you should mention Sully. I just mentioned him in a post about that OG beam bike that Eric posted because Softride had a model named after him - the Sully. Sully was a fun guy to be around back then. Didn't he have a heart attack many years ago and require some emergency open heart surgery?

#13 ·
ssmike said:
Funny you should mention Sully. I just mentioned him in a post about that OG beam bike that Eric posted because Softride had a model named after him - the Sully. Sully was a fun guy to be around back then. Didn't he have a heart attack many years ago and require some emergency open heart surgery?
He has recovered. I saw him in Bellingham a few years ago. Still riding the beam bike with the Softride stem. He had Ritchey MobyBite slicks on it and was still railing the wet trails on Galbraith (sp).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.