Thread: My first bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

My first bikes

I was going through some old photo albums and found some of my bikes from the '90's, thought you guys might appreciate one of them. Both are long gone, but not entirely forgotten

This was my first "real" bike, it had it probably around '93. Jamis Dakota that i upgraded with a Manitou 2. I don't remember much about it (I would have been about 12 at the time).

My first bikes-0czhhvc.jpg

This was my second "real" bike. A friend of mine's older brother bought it, and i couldn't think about anything else for a long time. It was pretty much the coolest bike i'd ever seen. When he sold it a year later (around '95?) i snapped it up. It was an odd bike and in retrospect it was absolutely awful. But, it was a snowflake, and that counts for something.

Supposedly it was a Cannondale frame with the rear triangles hacked off, and one of the bike shops in my town told me that a company in Colorado was building them. The rear suspension was completely bolted on. Really high BB with a custom bash guard, standover height was...ahem...close. Long-travel Mag21. It was a downhill bike before its time. Those were the days...

My first bikes-zmtmvhe.jpg
    My first bikes-3ntviu3.jpg
    My first bikes-wsuwppm.jpg

Wound up selling it for almost nothing after starting high school. I had a car at that point and lost interest in mountain biking for a while.

Anyway, thought it was worth a share.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Never saw anything like that Frankenbike of yours. Love the James! Were those the Magic Starburst rims? Tough to tell w/o being able to see the whole rim. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks!
    I don't think the Jamis rims were anything special. It was a pretty standard bike.

It's fun to watch this forum, you guys seem to dig up all the bikes i dreamed about.
    Blur LT & Highball