Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My classics

mtbr member

My classics

8 months ago I drank the 29r coolade and it was good. The more I rode the Tracer 29 the more I enjoyed certain aspects of riding it but I still found it lacking in a few respects, so I continued test riding different bikes. After a few 275 test rides I bought the Tracer 275 at the Intense parking lot sale and again it was good, slightly better in fact, it was quicker and more plush than the 29r with slacker angles but the front felt lighter than the 29r.
    I crashed the 275 and destroyed the rear 2 pc rotor so I broke out my 9 year old Turner 5 Spot and my 12 year old Foes fly until I can pick up a replacement rotor. FUN fun bikes and better than the new wheel size counterparts in some respects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My classics-dsc00915.jpg  

My classics-dsc00913.jpg  

VRC Illuminati
    I don't personally think either of those bikes are VRC in any way. They're barely old. Plush Fox forks, big disc brakes, 9spd drive train.

I will agree that 26" mid travel suspension bikes have great aspects to them. Depends on the terrain and type of rider you are too....but its good to hear you kept your 'classics' and still enjoy them, even as a fall back bike. Fine some twisty single track or some punchy climbs and the clown bikes will struggle to keep up.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Rumpfy called it, those bikes are no where near vintage! Sorry, but there is no such thing as a vintage bike with suspension, disc brakes or 29 inch wheels. You need to post them under the 90's bikes section where they belong. Thanks.

Sneaker man
    what... there's a 90's bike section? Missed that...even though they are both from this century?
    Either way, yeah they are new! Barely even run in not VRC...
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    There is no 90's bikes section, but there should be so people can stop contaminating this section with their bikes from 10 years ago. It's like going into a forum about Fords, and they keep talking about Toyotas! I say keep the Vintage forum vintage!

VRC Illuminati
    Well...neither of these bikes are even from the 90's.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 83stumpjumper View Post
    Rumpfy called it, those bikes are no where near vintage! Sorry, but there is no such thing as a vintage bike with suspension, disc brakes or 29 inch wheels. You need to post them under the 90's bikes section where they belong. Thanks.
    maybe not the 29" wheels, but there were many suspension (front and rear) bikes in the eighties...I purchased a set of FTF mags from CK and there are several suspension bikes advertised in them(in many issues)...all from the eighties. So, once again I ask...what constitutes a vintage bike...???... I thought we all like old bikes..not just that one old bike..or this should be the eighties, totally rigid forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syklystt View Post
    maybe not the 29" wheels, but there were many suspension (front and rear) bikes in the eighties.......
    Slingshot perhaps.

On a side: anyone consider that OP is trolling?

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
    On a side: anyone consider that OP is trolling?
    Nah, I don't think so. I think in the minds of a lot of people, 10 year old bikes are 'vintage'.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by syklystt View Post
    maybe not the 29" wheels, but there were many suspension (front and rear) bikes in the eighties...I purchased a set of FTF mags from CK and there are several suspension bikes advertised in them(in many issues)...all from the eighties. So, once again I ask...what constitutes a vintage bike...???... I thought we all like old bikes..not just that one old bike..or this should be the eighties, totally rigid forum.
    Are you zygote's sock puppet account? Sure seems like it.

No one is saying suspension bikes don't have a place in the vintage forum. 80's suspension bike...sure! But the bikes posted above were made after 2000. Whats vintage about them?
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I believe the OP only stated that they were "classic", not "vintage". Since this is the "VRC- vintage,retro,CLASSIC" forum, he feels that it's classic enough for him to post it here.
    No harm done.
    I encourage all you noobs to keep posting any bike that you may feel that fits into this all-encompassing forum that is so clearly defined.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sorry, the line has to be drawn some where. Have to discourage people from bringing stuff like that here. If we don't, what's the point in having a "Vintage" forum?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry, the line has to be drawn some where. Have to discourage people from bringing stuff like that here. If we don't, what's the point in having a "Vintage" forum?
    On other forums, a post can be moved by the moderators if they feel it shouldn't be in a given category.
    The word "vintage" doesn't mean of a certain age- it's a common misnomer that represents something old.
    Maybe as I and GOB suggested, that a division of the VRC forum is in order to eliminate mixing of certain bikes/frames/components/etc?
    Seems to me that a "VRC-pre suspension" category is needed along with a "VRC- suspended" category and that the limiting age factor should be 15 years or older to even be considered for the entire forum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I agree, that's why I've said the forum should be split between 80's and 90's bikes. Nothing from the 2000's though.

velocipede technician
    Oh joy. This bullshit, again.

I encourage you to take it to retrobike, or die in a fire

Whichever is easier for you
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Easier to keep posting here, thanks!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    I believe the OP only stated that they were "classic", not "vintage". Since this is the "VRC- vintage,retro,CLASSIC" forum, he feels that it's classic enough for him to post it here.
    I think my 2003 Santa Cruz Bullit is a "classic" and I'm sure some people on here would dig it because it's an awesome bike. But it's not a VRC bike and if I was to post it anywhere it would be in the All Mountain board or the Santa Cruz board.

I encourage all you noobs to keep posting any bike that you may feel that fits into this all-encompassing forum that is so clearly defined.
    You have valid things to say.

Please tell us why you don't say them here.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Easier to keep posting here, thanks!
    +1..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    I think my 2003 Santa Cruz Bullit is a "classic" and I'm sure some people on here would dig it because it's an awesome bike. But it's not a VRC bike and if I was to post it anywhere it would be in the All Mountain board or the Santa Cruz board.

You have valid things to say.

Please tell us why you don't say them here.

Grumps
    What's the "classic" defined as? what about the "retro"? I'm just trying to solve an issue that some people have with qualifiers that keep bikes in this forum.

Sneaker man
    been discussed quite a few times in the threads linked at the start of this sticky thread:
    NEW MEMBERS (and old) PLEASE READ...Forum guidelines, Links, General info
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    hey- thanks for that link. interesting read.
    Rumphy- when are you going to add the "Official Control Tech" to the main index of "Official" lists?

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    What's the "classic" defined as? what about the "retro"? I'm just trying to solve an issue that some people have with qualifiers that keep bikes in this forum.
    As above, it's been done to death. If you're in any doubt as to whether the bike you want to post up fits into VRC, look around at other boards where it might fit in better. It's not as if MTBR is lacking options on where to post up stuff.

Alternatively, feel free to post it up here and if the moderators decide to move it, or the general consensus is that it's not VRC, then you can either accept the verdict like a mature adult, or flog the dead horse a bit more like an immature troll, make banal comments and digs at anything without suspension as a klunkers. You know, like you do now.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Are you zygote's sock puppet account? Sure seems like it.

No one is saying suspension bikes don't have a place in the vintage forum. 80's suspension bike...sure! But the bikes posted above were made after 2000. Whats vintage about them?
    Haaa...noo...just timing i guess...I dont mean to keep this FS thing going..and the VRC thing, I didnt start that....I do agree that these bikes dont have a place here. I wouldnt post my bikes of that age either. My beef is when it is stated that suspension bikes cant count as VRC when they are just as old, and even rarer than most of whats posted (as in ive not really seen but a few in years)....I'll try to refrain from bringing it up but when a remark is made to the effect that other bikes cant count...well, I beg to differ and will speak up as all others here do too. we all do get our say here correct?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    As above, it's been done to death. If you're in any doubt as to whether the bike you want to post up fits into VRC, look around at other boards where it might fit in better. It's not as if MTBR is lacking options on where to post up stuff.

Alternatively, feel free to post it up here and if the moderators decide to move it, or the general consensus is that it's not VRC, then you can either accept the verdict like a mature adult, or flog the dead horse a bit more like an immature troll, make banal comments and digs at anything without suspension as a klunkers. You know, like you do now.

Grumps
    Grumps is right. Why are you trolling so hard? Are you actually trying to get banned?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Gob- I'm not trolling at all. I'm just having a conversation.
    I'm not flaming anyone, outing listings, or spamming of any sort.
    I'm not even trying to make a hard point.
    I am simply responding to the thread.
    As someone else has just said, I believe I'm entitled to add my .02
    If I had known that this was such a hot bed of negativity, I wouldn't have said anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast