mtbr member
    Apr 2013

My Balance AL350 Resto project

I'll start off by stating I don't think this bike is VRC, however, it is from the mid 90's and it is my resto project. I got this bike off of CL for $100.00. I am trying to resto this bike for under $100. All in I am shooting for $200. I was able to score some new bars from a friend in town (Free) and am in the process of trading my old stem for a new one. I also have some grips coming via another trade. I cleaned it up a little bit today and decided to take some shots. I still need to tune up /overhaul the from Manitou SX fork but that will come last. Here are some pics.
    Looking forward to riding.....

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    XT drivetrain, good score. It's cleaning up well, nice work.

Balance were one of those brands that made great bikes but never really cracked the market. Parkpre and Barracuda were also in the same boat, casualties of MTB becoming a bigger industry and swamping the smaller players.

The $200 budget should be easy enough to meet providing the chainrings, cassette and chain aren't flogged out.

Probably at the fresher end of VRC but still older than what some folks would consider to be vintage.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So far before I removed the stem and bar, it shifted and rode nice. No issues but didn't take it off road yet either. I was going to remove the chain and clean it nice and lube it before I tried it out again.
    The only issue so far is the front fork. It feels like it needs a rework. I am not used to the Manitou SX as the only other ride I had before was a Rock Shox Mag 21. I downloaded the manuals and have a contact for someone who seems to be an expert on these shocks. Hopefully it works out for the best...or should I say less expensive side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Cleaned up the wheels, hub and rear Cassette. Getting closer to completion and finally getting to ride....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I know these pieces are not VRC but they were either free or really cheap..Got my Truvativ Stem, Raceface bar, and Oury Lock Grips installed today. Looks different but I can't wait to ride it a little later this week. Hopefully the fork feels good and just needs some new oil and cleaned and lubed..