Dual Squishy...

My '92 OR Race Lite buildup...

So, some will complain about the lack of original color configuration, others may complain about the mix of newer parts, but I am WAY stoked on this buildup. Plan is to make it an SS.

Frame had some rust under the BB and on the drive side chain stay. New Matte Powder Coat came out WAY better than I expected and the orginal Kooka cranks I had decided the additional colors to go on it. Have a white Specialized seat that isn't pictured. A rigid carbon fork on the way, just gotta build up the wheels and wait to see what Santa brings me for Christmas!! Gil provided the decal proofs, which I think look great. With the parts assembled (Frame, Headset, BB, Kooka Cranks & Salsa 32T Chain Ring) she weighs 5.68 lbs.. Frame alone was 3.88 lbs. Powder Coated. Hoping to get this thing as close to 20 lbs. as possible.

Before (27.3 lbs):

And mid buildup:

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    I want some strawberry shortcake................
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    why are the seat stays tapered like that?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You may know this already but that original paint color was kind of hard to find and worth a chunk of change because of that rarity.

Oh well. It's not about the money! Enjoy!

JJY
    mtbr member
    Is that a real decal set or a copy of one you made on your printer?

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by JJY
    Is that a real decal set or a copy of one you made on your printer?
    One of the guys here on the boards makes the actual decals. He sent me a proof of the colors I was thinking about and I printed them out on regular printer paper to get an idea of how it would look.

But that scheme is probably what I will request.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    That's going to look real nice. I do prefer the older paintjob, though.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Oh, and I like the mix of vintage and modern.

Witty McWitterson
    you know, a 34/17 is the magic gear for those, right? No [ugly] tensioner needed.
    Just a regular guy.

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    you know, a 34/17 is the magic gear for those, right? No [ugly] tensioner needed.
    I had no idea. Going with the 32T x 18T for now. May look into that combo though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You did keep the CrocoStimpy sticker, right?

Down South Yooper
    I like the tan color. The red accents, not as much, but the tan I like much.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by sonett iii
    You did keep the CrocoStimpy sticker, right?

It's adhered to my repair stand now...

Dual Squishy...
    WoooooT!!

Santa was gooooooooood to this buildup!!

- Surly SS spacer kit
    - Surly SS 18T cog
    - New Avid Single Digit 7 brakes F/R
    - New Avid Speed Dial Levers
    - New Red Hope Skewers

Just gotta build up the wheels, land a 26.8mm Seat Post and get a chain!

Dual Squishy...
    Ok, an update...

It's DONE!!

Magic setup is 32 x 18 so far, but I will probably need a tensioner at some point...

Pics:

Stokeless Asshat
    I.m usually not one for "bright" builds but this works for me. Good spec.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    That looks really nice!

Is there any way you can remove that orange decal from the forks? It kind of clashes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

hmmm.
    WOW that looks great! Final build weight?

artistic...
    seems the fork raised the front way more than the original geometry. angles seem more laidback and BB is higher as well.
    how does it ride compared to your original build? how does it corner?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Dual Squishy...
    Final at this point is 22.4 lbs. but I have a carbon bar on the way and plan to swap pedals for some Time ATACs. Tubeless conversion in the works, so I may get it down to an even 22 lbs. which is ok with me.

Been sick this last week and we've had a crap load of snow so I haven't gotten it out for a ride yet. The frame was originally set up for about a 2" suspension fork and the Exotic is set up for "0-3 inches" per the mfgr. Close but probably taller. I'll report on it's first ride hopefully next weekend.

Dual Squishy...
    Carbon bar on, tubeless conversion f/r...

21.86 lbs.!! Down from 22.40 lbs.!!

Have some Time ATAC XS Carbon pedals on the way and I believe they are lighter than the old Ritchey's that are on there now. I'll update once the new pedals are on. May hunt for a white Specialized Phenom saddle to match the one on my Enduro. Would be far lighter than the Avatar on there now...

BTW, I have 3 pairs of the older Ritchey clipless pedals I am selling. PM me if interested...

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    seems the fork raised the front way more than the original geometry. angles seem more laidback and BB is higher as well.
    how does it ride compared to your original build? how does it corner?
    So finally had enough snow melted to take this thing out yesterday for a quick 12 mile ride. Man, do I miss this bike. It handled just like I remembered. Fast, accurate and in it's new configuration it accellerated like a bat out of hell. It's the lightest it's ever been and sure rides like it. Fire road and single track mostly...

Just have to get used to it being fully rigid. Definitely an adjustment since I have been riding on some form of suspension for more than a decade. The carbon fork and carbon bars certainly kept me from being beaten up too much.

My riding buddies thought I was nuts to spend the money to resurect this thing, but it was worth it!!

velocipede technician
    not a `92
    looking for 20-21" P team

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    not a `92
    That's it??!!?!?!?

So, I really remembered buying this the Spring after college (1993) and the LBS had it there for a long time before I pulled the trigger. So, tonight I dug up my old original owners manual that I got with the frame (took a bit and it's 1:00 AM). Serial number is 0231. And it turned out I purchased it in the Spring of '95, not '93 (I must have lost 2 years of my life). The LBS had it there forever still. I remember oogling it the Summer before I bought it.

Looking through the Bontrager thread, I found one post with dropout comparisons. Mine looks like the '94 dropout pictured. Is that what I have????!?!.

VRC Illuminati
    Nice resto-mod.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Exaggerated member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22
    That's it??!!?!?!?

So, I really remembered buying this the Spring after college (1993) and the LBS had it there for a long time before I pulled the trigger. So, tonight I dug up my old original owners manual that I got with the frame (took a bit and it's 1:00 AM). Serial number is 0231. And it turned out I purchased it in the Spring of '95, not '93 (I must have lost 2 years of my life). The LBS had it there forever still. I remember oogling it the Summer before I bought it.

Looking through the Bontrager thread, I found one post with dropout comparisons. Mine looks like the '94 dropout pictured. Is that what I have????!?!.
    Possibly so, but could be a 1993 bike given the square panel decals. Part of the trick is in the cable guides in that they are brazed (or welded?) to the frame. The earlier '90-92 bikes had rivetted cable guides. Additionally Shimano didn't introduce a top pull derailleur until approximately 1992 so any bike using top run cable routing had a pulley mounted to the side of the seat tube next to the front derailleur to enable a bottom pull derailleur to be used with a top tube cable routing configuration.

Hollister and MrOrange have a lot of knowledge on Bontragers (Bontrager experts possibly). If you do a search on Bontrager through the all VRC threads there has been a bit of discussion regarding frame dating and it seems to be that up until 1992 cable guides were rivetted to the frame, bottom pull front derailleurs were used in conjunction with a pulley mounted on the seat tube and the decals were square panelled. Square panelled decals were still used in 1993 but the pulley on the seat tube had disappeared and the cable guides were brazed (or TIG welded?). 1994 onwards seems to be when the chevron style decals appeared and from about 1995 the seat stay became a single drawn tube as opposed the stepped seat stay from earlier years. There are a variety of year models in the 'Official Bontrager Thread' so that may help with the dating of the frame. (Feel free to correct me where required with regard to transition periods on the frame characteristics here.)
    Alex

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk
    Possibly so, but could be a 1993 bike given the square panel decals. Part of the trick is in the cable guides in that they are brazed (or welded?) to the frame. The earlier '90-92 bikes had rivetted cable guides. Additionally Shimano didn't introduce a top pull derailleur until approximately 1992 so any bike using top run cable routing had a pulley mounted to the side of the seat tube next to the front derailleur to enable a bottom pull derailleur to be used with a top tube cable routing configuration.

Hollister and MrOrange have a lot of knowledge on Bontragers (Bontrager experts possibly). If you do a search on Bontrager through the all VRC threads there has been a bit of discussion regarding frame dating and it seems to be that up until 1992 cable guides were rivetted to the frame, bottom pull front derailleurs were used in conjunction with a pulley mounted on the seat tube and the decals were square panelled. Square panelled decals were still used in 1993 but the pulley on the seat tube had disappeared and the cable guides were brazed (or TIG welded?). 1994 onwards seems to be when the chevron style decals appeared and from about 1995 the seat stay became a single drawn tube as opposed the stepped seat stay from earlier years. There are a variety of year models in the 'Official Bontrager Thread' so that may help with the dating of the frame. (Feel free to correct me where required with regard to transition periods on the frame characteristics here.)
    WOW...

So, my cable guides are NOT riveted on. They look brazed on as I do not see any welds either. My frame does have the pulley on the seat tube AND came with the squared decals SANS seat tube decal (only top, bottom tubes & head badge). A 1993 with a Front DR pulley for a bottom pull? Mixture of '92 and '93???!?!??!??

Dual Squishy...
    Buddy made me think about this thread. Still have it, still riding it and I love it. Still haven't tagged down the actual year of this thing though. Reading through it, the features I have span '92, '93 and maybe '94?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22 View Post
    Buddy made me think about this thread. Still have it, still riding it and I love it. Still haven't tagged down the actual year of this thing though. Reading through it, the features I have span '92, '93 and maybe '94?
    That buddy must have been me! Thanks goodness you did not sell the Bontie - I think you would have been kicking yourself for decades if you had! Either that or I'd kick you myself.

Great build, man!

Dual Squishy...
    ^^

Yup, your fault!

Too bad you don't still have my old MB-3 frameset! That was a great bike too and could have been a sweet build up as well!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ^^

Yup, your fault!

Too bad you don't still have my old MB-3 frameset! That was a great bike too and could have been a sweet build up as well!!
    You never gave me that one - not that I would not have liked to have it! I had a green/white lugged MB-3 frame. Operative word here is 'had'.

Looking for another one to build a SS!! Like I need more bikes...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just bid on a lugged Bridgestone MB-2 frame in red/white - wish me luck!

Single Speed here I come!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Oh well. Lost the MB-2 auction.

Won a Bontrager instead!! Green 1994 Race Lite OR w/ King headset and Thompson post!
    You see, I needed one to match the green Bontrager shirt I got 15 years ago when working in the bike shop..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by batmite View Post
    Oh well. Lost the MB-2 auction.

Won a Bontrager instead!! Green 1994 Race Lite OR w/ King headset and Thompson post!
    You see, I needed one to match the green Bontrager shirt I got 15 years ago when working in the bike shop..
    Sounds sweet, looking forward to the photos! Lucky!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kenjihara View Post
    Sounds sweet, looking forward to the photos! Lucky!!
    Yeah, I'm *VERY* excited.

But I just inspected the photos and it's not a Race Lite - it's just a race considering the lack of the milled head tube -- but that's ok, I like my stuff sturdy. According to my research the tubing on the Race is also .1mm thicker in the butting and straight sections, which is completely fine with me.

Still trying to find the appropriate wheelset, too... I should have never gotten rid of my 135mm Ringle thread on wheels. :/ I have an MTB setup 12-28 Dura Ace 7s freewheel that needs using!

I just found my XT thumbies, too... All the vital ingredients are here, I'm nearly there!

mtbr member
    Supposedly they didn't like to put people on Racelites who were much heavier than 150 lbs. I am probably pushing it at 165 lbs.

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by kenjihara View Post
    Supposedly they didn't like to put people on Racelites who were much heavier than 150 lbs. I am probably pushing it at 165 lbs.
    If you ride "light" than you're fine. If you ride like a bag of hammers than I'd think about a Race.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

4AM
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Damn that build is sweet. I'm thinking of building a more modern steel bike with gears then I may convert my '97 privateer comp to SS. Right now I have it set up 1x11 and I love it.

Members who have read this thread: 33