mtbr member
    Sep 2013

My “Someday Adroit”

My “Someday Adroit”-img_1943.jpgMy “Someday Adroit”-img_1944.jpgSMy “Someday Adroit”-img_1945.jpgo
    So one day (maybe late 1992ish ?) Klein dropped the linier fade bomb!

Most of us stood, mouths agape, staring at pure artistry, hanging by a string from the shop ceiling. Nobody had ever dreamt of painting anything like it, let alone a mountain bike that would be ravaged, muddied, battered and bruised! They were in a different league (and still are today.) $3650.00 for a frame, painted Rock Shox-Mag30 and a Mission Control, it was tough albeit beautiful pill to swallow but few did. I was in deep and the meager hourly refill rate of my wallet was insufficient compared to the two wheel outflow. I had just plunked down thousands for Adroit #1, I had talked my way into building a full custom Cannondale Mountain Tandem to be displayed at the Kamakaze in Mammoth and Interbike. I had gotten Hed and Cooks and my local shop to throw parts at me, but I still had to by the Tandem…Thanks dad! LOL
    There was just no chance that XL green monster would end up hanging in my garage. So I put it out of my mind and moved on with my life, kids, wife, house, you know the drill. The Mississippi that was my bicycle spending river turned into a trickle, then Death Valley. And in that time the market had changed. The art of building full custom bikes from bare frames had slipped away. Just too much work and effort for the Instant gratification generation. C’est la vie.
    I would still come and visit my friends at the shop, but we would talk about business, family and the other parts of our lives, but I did little buying save for bikes with training wheels, tubes and patch kits. The green monster hung around for years, moved from the center stage into and overhead library rack of un-wanted and unloved relics from a bygone era. I wish I had taken a picture of the 30” row of dusty frame sets up near the roof. Yeti’s, Fat Chance’s, Dean, litespeed, Klein. The murderers row of vintage hardware. So one day I stopped by and the shop had moved across the parking lot, better frontage, twice the footage, bright and airy like a chain store. But lost were the dark, narrow, treasure laden recesses and dimly lit glass cases of the old gold mine. Surely the new was better for the IG crowd, not so much for me. All the rafter treasure was gone. When I asked the owner said “Yea that old crap got moved to the warehouse” I asked about the old XL GF Adroit, he says ‘yea I still got that thing, You want it? What are you gonna do with it?” It will be my Someday Adroit, when I have time and funds” I said. We haggled like the old days for a little while and struck a deal. We jumped in his Truck and drove over to the Well of Souls. After a half hour of opening dusty old bike boxes, it emerged glowing and shinny like the day it was entombed. Just as beautiful as when I first saw it hanging from a string…
    Jason

mtbr member
    Nice story and follow-through! Build it up! that one will fit you better too
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Stokeless Asshat
    Me thinks you'll be receiving a few emails from Germany shortly.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I'm too dimwitted to read that big long essay without a paragraph break but GREAT PICTURE!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I'm too dimwitted to read that big long essay without a paragraph break but GREAT PICTURE!
    LOL! Thought the same thing but had to read all the way through.

Very Nice, it has to be 1 of a very few XL Adroits. Too bad about the RS fork not being the Strata.

mtbr member
    I thought it was a great story.

Can I get his email address?
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tductape View Post
    I thought it was a great story.

Can I get his email address?
    Making flight arrangements to SOCAL Tim?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Wow youre not kidding on the emails! Who knew?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Yep
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    I was kidding. If I was serious it would have been in the form of a PM. Trust me, my allowance is well spent for a while and I already have way too many projects to complete in the garage.

I did think it was a great story though.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Here is Jason's great post with some breathing room added:

So one day (maybe late 1992ish ?) Klein dropped the linier fade bomb!
    Most of us stood, mouths agape, staring at pure artistry, hanging by a string from the shop ceiling.

Nobody had ever dreamt of painting anything like it, let alone a mountain bike that would be ravaged, muddied, battered and bruised! They were in a different league (and still are today.)

$3650.00 for a frame, painted Rock Shox-Mag30 and a Mission Control, it was tough albeit beautiful pill to swallow but few did. I was in deep and the meager hourly refill rate of my wallet was insufficient compared to the two wheel outflow. I had just plunked down thousands for Adroit #1, I had talked my way into building a full custom Cannondale Mountain Tandem to be displayed at the Kamakaze in Mammoth and Interbike.

I had gotten Hed and Cooks and my local shop to throw parts at me, but I still had to buy the Tandem…Thanks dad! LOL

There was just no chance that XL green monster would end up hanging in my garage.

So I put it out of my mind and moved on with my life, kids, wife, house, you know the drill. The Mississippi that was my bicycle spending river turned into a trickle, then Death Valley. And in that time the market had changed. The art of building full custom bikes from bare frames had slipped away. Just too much work and effort for the Instant gratification generation. C’est la vie.

I would still come and visit my friends at the shop, but we would talk about business, family and the other parts of our lives, but I did little buying save for bikes with training wheels, tubes and patch kits.

The green monster hung around for years, moved from the center stage into and overhead library rack of un-wanted and unloved relics from a bygone era. I wish I had taken a picture of the 30” row of dusty frame sets up near the roof. Yeti’s, Fat Chance’s, Dean, litespeed, Klein. The murderers row of vintage hardware.

So one day I stopped by and the shop had moved across the parking lot, better frontage, twice the footage, bright and airy like a chain store. But lost were the dark, narrow, treasure laden recesses and dimly lit glass cases of the old gold mine. Surely the new was better for the IG crowd, not so much for me. All the rafter treasure was gone.

When I asked, the owner said, “Yea that old crap got moved to the warehouse” I asked about the old XL GF Adroit, he says ‘yea I still got that thing, You want it? What are you gonna do with it?” "It will be my Someday Adroit, when I have time and funds” I said.

We haggled like the old days for a little while and struck a deal. We jumped in his Truck and drove over to the Well of Souls. After a half hour of opening dusty old bike boxes, it emerged glowing and shinny like the day it was entombed. Just as beautiful as when I first saw it hanging from a string…
    Jason

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Aha!!! Thanks, Dave! Tried to rep you but I have to "spread it around."

Great story, Jason. Love the Death Valley reference.

Sneaker man
    nice story, but yeah dude, make it legible! Is it cut and paste from somewhere? Make the font size bigger!!!!!
    Other than that sweet.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Who would have thought old mtb guys were closet literary critics! Lol
    Ok for my next novel
    Big double spaced paragraph breaks

Bigger font

Raise the seat and change angle......

Got it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit#1 View Post
    Who would have thought old mtb guys were closet literary critics! Lol
    Ok for my next novel
    Big double spaced paragraph breaks

Bigger font

Raise the seat and change angle......

Got it!
    Exactly.

Welcome to VRC, I think you will do fine. Before you know it you will get the bug, and that green bike will be together.