wot no bike?

Mustache bar parts questions

Hi all:

Since some people put mustache and classical drop bars on their older rides maybe these questions aren't off-topic and this is a good place to ask these questions:

Can someone point me to where I can acquire the "pulley device" that allows you to use road-style brake levers with MTB V-brakes?

Can I use any bar-end shifters with my current MTB derailleur set-up or are there issues I have to worry about?

Anything I should be aware of before I start buying stuff for the transformation?

Thanks!

-p

the new Gilbert Grape
    It's a cleaner look to use cantilever brakes instead of v-brakes with this set up. Cantis can be found for very little money, and allow you to avoid the pulley. But if you really must use v-brakes, your LBS will sell you what you need, or get it here:
    http://www.universalcycles.com/searc...osearch=Search

The barcon shifters need to be the same number of speeds as your cassette if you plan to use the indexing. Otherwise they should work fine.

Both bars will require a shorter stem then you normally run. Drop bars also require a high-rise stem. If the bike has a long top tube, I'd not try the drop bars, but I'm sure others feel differently.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The easiest and best way to use V-brakes with drop levers is to get Dia Compe 287V brake levers and barend shifters.

The cost of the 287V is only slightly more than two Travel Agents (the pulley adaptors) and they work much better.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

wot no bike?
    Thanks for your input guys -- I'm thinking ideally I'd like to go with those 287V's because in calculating costs it would be the cheaper route for me if I can find a pair used or otherwise on-the-cheap (which is my goal). Plus as I understand it V brakes have better stopping power than canti's, and I would need to i fashion a way to mount them in the first place, and then still by levers anyway, etc etc. Anyway thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    ...Plus as I understand it V brakes have better stopping power than canti's, and I would need to i fashion a way to mount them in the first place, and then still by levers anyway, etc etc. Anyway thanks...
    Your bike does not have canti bosses? Vs and cantis fit on the same mounts.
    mtbtires.com

wot no bike?
    I'm on crack, sorry -- I thought cantilever brakes were like those in the attached picture. So what type are those in the picture?

26_2.JPG
    Last edited by pahearn; 04-14-2006 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    I'm on crack, sorry -- I thought cantilever brakes were like those in the attached picture. So what type are those in the picture?

26_2.JPG
    Road side pull calipers
    mtbtires.com

bonked
    Haha, that's funny. I was looking at Ebay today for brakes and noticed a lot of auctions had cantis listed as V brakes. It made me laugh and hope that buyers realize they're going to need a cable stop if they don't have one already and don't know what they are buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

wot no bike?
    Yeah that's probably where I got my mis-information in the first place.