Thread: MTB meets PhD

Retro on Steroids

MTB meets PhD

A year or two ago I spent hours with Fred Savre, a French MTB enthusiast who was working on documenting the history of mountain biking. His English is better than my French, but it was easier for him to let me ramble into his tape recorder for future transcription.

Today I received this email:

Hello Charles,

I hope everything is fine for you in Fairfax for you, your family and your friends.
    I'd like to inform you that my PHd 's dissertation (575 pages) about mountain bike history is written.

The tittle is:

"The spread and institutionalisation of the mountain bike : from its Californian origins to Olympic recognition (1970-1996)"

The public and official presentation will held june 23th 2009 at 2 PM in Lyon, FRANCE ( UFRSTAPS de LYON, 27 Blvd du 11 novembre 69622 VILLEURBANNE). You are welcome and it will be a pleasure and a honor to see you in France ! After this presentation, your are invited to a friendly reception at 6 PM.
    Next year a big abstract (200-300 pages) of this research will be published in english.

Best Regards and All Best Fred SAVRE, the french guy who visited you 2005,2006,2007 !!

__
    _`\<,--
    (*)/ (*)

http://oscar.univ-lyon1.fr/appli-ext...pus_ouest.html
    If anyone is in France in a couple of weeks, it should be a pretty good party. You can use my invitation, because I'm busy that night.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    That's pretty cool, any way you slice it.

Whether that he sought you out, and you were willing to help, or that some guy decided to do a PHD thesis on mountain bikes.

Hope he sends you a copy of the english translation
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

the new Gilbert Grape
    Did he mention if the dissertation will be published as a book? It might be a fun read (although likely not as much fun if it's written in French).
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Did he mention if the dissertation will be published as a book? It might be a fun read (although likely not as much fun if it's written in French).
    Most dissertations get published at some level whether it be in a journal, by request through the department he graduated from, or his school's library.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    A year or two ago I spent hours with Fred Savre,

One non-bike-related-question ... does he pronounce his last name like Brett Favre does? Just wondering is all ...
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    One non-bike-related-question ... does he pronounce his last name like Brett Favre does? Just wondering is all ...
    Never used his last name in my presence. Called himself "Fred the French guy."
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

sftrydr
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob

Think Fava bean, with a french accent, so says my frog wickipidiot....

Chaz,
    Hope you mentioned the golden tablets TR came down off the mount with and then cast out the nonbelievers of whichever version of where what when why of MtB's biblically correct origins...

Something like:
    And then , on the 8th day, TR created the Golden Unicrown + Bull Moose Bar, and then he rested, for he was spent....
    (TIC)

Thanx for the open invite to attend the frogpond event, afraid I don't have any pairs left of unwashed levi button pants to try + pass my ol geezer self off as CK.....it woulda been fun.....
    RockOn Chax!!

clunker
    Fred took this with him across the pond

I would use your invite CK but, alas, I too am busy "that evening"
    ...strictly downhill...