Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

MTB Hall of Fame moves from Crested Butte to Marin

Joe's been talking about this new museum he's working on. Now it all makes sense.

Mountain Bike Hall of Fame announces inductees, plans move to Marin County | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Joe's been talking about this new museum he's working on. Now it all makes sense.

Mountain Bike Hall of Fame announces inductees, plans move to Marin County | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
    Why the move?
    Marketing and exposure?
    I was under the impression that Marin wasn't the most MTB-friendly environment.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Why the move?
    Marketing and exposure?
    I was under the impression that Marin wasn't the most MTB-friendly environment.
    Marin is the anti-MTB capital of the universe, that's why I am so pleased they are moving there. 98% of all trails in Marin are off limits to bikes thanks to a few very vocal and connected douchebags like Terri Sweet, Mike Vandeman etc. The vocal minority in Marin has long conspired to keep off road bikes limited to fire roads only ignoring the vast majority of trail users. I hope that they will use the hall of fame for more exposure so those trails that our idols first raced on will once again be legal to ride. It is time for our sport to stop taking a back seat to equestrians.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Team Brooklyn
    Sounds like that is a GREAT reason to be there. I hope that the move drives the effort as you suggest.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Vandeman is in Berkeley isn't he?

I'm hoping the high school league changes things for the better with trail access. Marin high schools have some deep (talent) and big rosters.

mtbr member
    Probably has more to do with exposure, SF is a very booming tourist community.

I do hope this opens up the mountain biking in Marin (and maybe that bleeds over to East Bay). At the moment it doesn't seem like people are coming to the Bay Area for mountain biking vacations.

Retro on Steroids
    I would say that it has to do with Don Cook and Kay Peterson getting tired of the thankless task they have dedicated a couple of decades to.

I have been hoping to find a place for my unique archive, a half dozen file cabinets filled with everything in print about mountain biking for the first ten years or so of the sport. Now it looks like it will find a permanent home.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I would say that it has to do with Don Cook and Kay Peterson getting tired of the thankless task they have dedicated a couple of decades to.

I have been hoping to find a place for my unique archive, a half dozen file cabinets filled with everything in print about mountain biking for the first ten years or so of the sport. Now it looks like it will find a permanent home.
    Interesting and good for you CK, Will your files be set up in such a way that they will be available to the public for research?.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    I'm hoping the high school league changes things for the better with trail access. Marin high schools have some deep (talent) and big rosters.
    And BIG money to boot.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

マスターの自転車整備士
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post

CK,

It sure would be nice if there were a way for you do digitize your Archive, so it could be made available online.

I'm a Charter Member, and I don't have a problem with the move; if Marin is the better choice for preserving the Collection, so much the better!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Will they add more bikes to the displays? CB is nice it's more about the people that started mtbiking, than displaying the evolution of the machine. Lst I was there they had less than 20 bikes, the collection at Absolute Bikes in Sadlia is better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    And BIG money to boot.
    Yep. I think it could bring some change to the next generation's trail access.

Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Will they add more bikes to the displays? CB is nice it's more about the people that started mtbiking, than displaying the evolution of the machine. Lst I was there they had less than 20 bikes, the collection at Absolute Bikes in Sadlia is better.
    I think with JB at the helm it will be a first class exhibition for both the HOFers and the bikes. Excited to see how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would love to see a complete history of the bikes that developed during this sports growth. That's my interest as many of the HOFers are still living, and easy to meet if you get around. The older bikes not so much. Plus opening the door for corporate sponsership with a Specialized wing, or a Trek wing, showcasing the Stumpjumper line from then to now would be great to see.

mtbr member
    cut and pasted from the Norcal forum:

From the Marin Independent Journal:

Mountain Bike Hall of Fame moving to Fairfax, birthplace of the sport - Marin Independent Journal

THE MOUNTAIN BIKE Hall of Fame, established 25 years ago in Colorado, is moving to the rustic Marin town where a handful of young off-road cycling pioneers gave birth to the now international sport in the 1970s, barreling down Mount Tamalpais on fat tire paperboy bikes they called "klunkers."

The new Marin Museum of Bicycling will be relocating to the mountain bike mecca of Fairfax early next year, taking over the former Good Earth market building on Sir Francis Drake Boulevard, organizers announced Thursday.

"It's a perfect location in Fairfax as the gateway to Point Reyes National Seashore and as a hive of bicycling activity," said Joe Breeze, an early hall of fame inductee
    and one of the architects of the hall of fame's move to Fairfax. "This is something I've been dreaming about all my cycling life."

Breeze is one of the bike builders and designers who developed the modern high-tech mountain bike. His 1977 prototype, "Breezer 1," is now in the collection of the Smithsonian Institution National Museum of American History.

Since 1988, the hall of fame has occupied a small corner of a heritage museum in the former coal mining town of Crested Butte, Colo., population about 1,500, a skiing and mountain biking destination that was also an early location for the first mountain bikers.

"The only place we would have allowed it to go was someplace in Marin, either Fairfax or San Anselmo," said Don Cook, who founded the museum and ran it with his wife, Kay Petersen-Cook, since its inception. "That's where the real heart of mountain biking was developed."

The move to Marin was sparked by an installation on Northern California contributions to mountain biking that Breeze curated last year in the San Francisco Airport's International Terminal along with airport curator Timothy O'Brien and his staff.

"That was a catalyst for my lifelong dream," Breeze said.

After that exhibit, he and two other Marin mountain bike legends, Otis Guy and Marc Vendetti, approached the Cooks about moving their artifacts to a larger museum space in Fairfax.

"We hit him at the right time, when they were ready to move," Breeze said. "It was a struggle for them. Little Crested Butte only gets so many people coming there."

The Cooks didn't need convincing that the sport had become too big for their little corner of the world.

"My wife and I have brought it the international exposure it's gotten," he said. "The key thing to note is this is an American sport that has gone global."

The 3,000-square-foot building at 1966 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. is the same space that Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh once considered for his Terrapin Crossroads music venue.

Plans for the bicycle museum have already cleared the Fairfax Planning Commission and have the support of the Fairfax Chamber of Commerce.

"It's always a good thing to have a new point of interest in town that will have a positive impact in a number of ways," Chamber Executive Director Bob Kopelman said. "It will draw visitors, and visitors are always a good thing for a town. It's definitely an economic benefit. We're very excited about it."

Large photo backdrops of Mount Tamalpais and Pine Mountain, site of the seminal Repack mountain bike races in the 1970s, will line the new museum's north and west walls. The 90-foot-long backdrops, part of the airport exhibit, were given to Breeze by the airport staff to use in the new museum space.

The cycling museum will not only focus on local mountain biking and its history, but also the sport's popularity in Europe and its reach to such far flung outposts as Rwanda, where local bike builder Tom Ritchey supplied cargo bikes for coffee growers to transport their crops to market.

"It will be a cultural center, a place where clubs can come to meet, where we can have lectures on bicycling and movies about bicycling," Breeze said. "It will be a place to celebrate cycling."

mtbr member
    ""The only place we would have allowed it to go was someplace in Marin, either Fairfax or San Anselmo," said Don Cook, who founded the museum and ran it with his wife, Kay Petersen-Cook, since its inception."

Credit should be given to the late Carole Bauer and a few others for this,

Hall of Fame Inductees - The Mountain Bike Hall of Fame

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Here is a link to the article. Be sure to check out the comments section. It should be interesting when the anti-mtb crowd starts chiming in.

Mountain Bike Hall of Fame moving to Fairfax, birthplace of the sport - Marin Independent Journal
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    How do I make contact to make a donation of an early Witz fork?

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    How do I make contact to make a donation of an early Witz fork?
    Try this address given in the article.
    liberatore@marinij.com

And of course a few pics of said fork.

Want:

VRC Illuminati
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

Stokeless Asshat
    Marin locals to the white courtesy phone.

Want:

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    mtbr watermarks on everything bugs the **** out of me.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Interesting read. Also, McLean is a tool.
    What are you talking about, he invented mountain biking! It's true because he said so and it's on the internet.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Also, Durango is hardly the easiest place to get to either.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Also, Durango is hardly the easiest place to get to either.
    Flight in is a little rough, ya.

Having Joe B, Otis G, and CK local and involved is hard to beat.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

Retro on Steroids
    Rumpfy, thanks for directing my attention. I have known Mr. Mc for many years and I started hearing these claims since about a minute after I met him.

So a bunch of people I never heard of and who have never contributed visibly to the sport are upset because Fairfax does not have access to the trails like many of the Rocky Mountain towns, and therefore does not "deserve" the HoF.

The HoF is coming here for the reasons I posted when this thread first appeared: because Fairfax has the people, the energy and THE MONEY to do this. The money didn't magically appear, it was the product of hard work by the four individuals making it happen. They deserve to be named, Joe Breeze, Marc Vendetti, Otis Guy and Julia Violich. Joe Breeze is a consummate bicycle historian, and the museum is not just about mountain bikes.

MARIN MUSEUM OF BICYCLING TO FEATURE
    IGLER COLLECTION OF HISTORIC BICYCLES

(Fairfax, CA) March 5, 2014 – The Marin Museum of Bicycling announced today that it will display a selection of bikes from the Igler Collection, a comprehensive collection of bicycles dating back to the 1860s.

The Igler Collection will form one of two permanent displays at the Marin Museum of Bicycling, the other being the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame. Last August, the museum announced the relocation to Fairfax of the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame, founded 25 years ago in Crested Butte, Colorado.

Marin Museum of Bicycling curator Joe Breeze said, “The Igler Collection documents the birth of the bicycle and its “Golden Age,” when the sharpest minds of the day were focused on perfecting the most efficient machine of personal transport ever devised.”
    Ralph Igler, a NASA engineer based in Palo Alto, started his collection in 1960, traveling extensively to build a group of key examples in the development of the bicycle. Bicycles from his collection have been featured in museums in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Ralph Igler died in 2004, leaving the collection to his son, David Igler, Professor of History at UC Irvine. David Igler said, “The Marin Museum of Bicycling’s devotion to telling the unsung history of this extraordinary vehicle would have pleased my dad.”

Museum president Marc Vendetti said, “The Marin Museum of Bicycling is thrilled and honored to receive this long-term loan of bikes from the Igler collection. The collection’s wide range of bikes enables us to tell many interesting stories. We can feature a “chronology of technology” and rotate other bikes in for special exhibits.”

Among the collection is an 1868 “boneshaker” velocipede from the first bicycle builder, Ernest Michaux of Paris. Also included is an 1880s Coventry Rotary tricycle, the design that held human-powered speed records until improved high-wheel bicycles, such as the collection’s 1886 Rudge, took over as speed king. There’s even an 1898 Pierce shaft-drive bike, which was that company’s top model until it launched its Pierce Arrow automobile.

The Marin Museum of Bicycling, which will double as a cultural center for Marin cyclists, expects to open its doors to the public in mid-2014. Museum construction is underway in downtown Fairfax at 1966 Sir Francis Drake Boulevard, former location of the Good Earth grocery store.

To raise funds for the museum, the Marin Museum of Bicycling is building a low wall at the property's corner, with the profile of Mount Tamalpais. Donors can purchase personalized tiles for this “Mt. Tam Legacy Wall” to help support the museum, on the museum's web site: The Marin Museum of Bicycling .
    # # #
    FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES, please contact:
    Joe Breeze
    Marin Museum of Bicycling
    joe@mmbhof.org
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast