rismtb
    Dec 2012

Mt Fromme pioneer

Ross Kirkwood back in the hayday built the first trail {secret 7th} on the fabled north shore. Riders refer that to being grouse mt. It is actually Fromme mt that starts at the top of mountain Hyw and winds up 1 klm switch backs to the 7th switch back and the gravel road does a 180 and heads to to top of Grouse mt. Ross decided to choose the 7th to start the longest steepest downhill trail on the shore. His signature trails were tight steep switchbacks that you had to learn how to do a tailwhip to make the turn. Ross loved mountainbiking, he loved building trails even more. Little did we know or care about suspension....we had big fat knobby tires!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mt Fromme pioneer-ross-kirkwood.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks like a great set up!

mtbr member
    Cool post. Love those early days. So fun and adventurous.

mtbr member
    I keep looking at this, I am planning on taking my '84 Raleigh Mt. Tour on a trip.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I'm late to the game when it comes to riding on Mt. Fromme, but it sure is a blast.

Back in '87-88 we used to talk about BC mtn biking while I was still down in Central Cal, and how it seemed like it was a step or two behind the guys in California and Colorado.

What really turned out to be the case was no one south in our area knew what the hell was actually going on in BC, and ten years later it was setting the latest "curve" in pushing off-road development and riding to a new level.

I love riding Fromme, and to date have only done it on my rigid '89 Stumpjumper Team. I see it everyday on my 22.5 mile ride home from Delta to the border, and I sure am glad to have it just to look at, even though I don't make it there enough. These next pics are all from a ride I had last spring on Fromme, enjoy!Mt Fromme pioneer-fromme4.jpgMt Fromme pioneer-fromme3.jpgMt Fromme pioneer-fromme2.jpgMt Fromme pioneer-fromme1.jpg
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

rismtb
    Dec 2012

Tough on parts

This map is late eighties, Ross had moved to Squish to build the sea to sky trail. Todd F {digger} and old man Peter had taken over building stunts and filming everyone coming down trying their latest handiwork. The best rode everything and became stars, most tried hard and crashed a few walked. That area in that map is scene of many broken cranks,chains,derailleurs,wheels,stems,bars,frames ,seats,pedals,bones and last and most important....egos. Was it pivotal in the development of suspension? most likely not we were {and still are}living in a bubble.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mt Fromme pioneer-fromme.jpg  

rismtb
    Dec 2012

Fromme service road

back in the day 20's-30's?? before the tram was built the service road was the only way up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mt Fromme pioneer-grouse-mt.jpg  

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    back in the day 20's-30's?? before the tram was built the service road was the only way up
    No, I mean we were wondering about the BC scene in '87, didn't hear very much or see a lot down in Norcal and Central California.

Plus, since we only had gas money or train fare for rides to the southern Cascades near Redding and Sierras near Tahoe. Furthest north I made it was here on Whidbey Island that summer.

Then it seemed like BC leapfrogged everyone in a big way, and at first so quietly.

Was looking at Fromme again just yesterday, not much snow now.

BTW, I was wrong about my pics, they are from Seymour, sorry.

Great pic of that old road!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    I love Whidbey Island, we drive down there to go to the Olympic Peninsula to ride epics in the park. 1987 was the height of the XC racing scene in BC. Races every weekend. we had our largest racing memebership of our association affiliated with UCI wankers that year I believe. I could hardly wait every month for the next edition of Mountain Bike Action. Ya it was MTB 24/7