This is the Mountain Goat Trench Goat I acquired recently. The pictures show the bike how I collected it.
I like the bike a lot. You will know the Trench Goat is the Japanese built Mountain Goat variation. It resembles a lot if not all with the US-built Escape Goat frame.
- Ride All Day geometry
- headtube reinforcement collars
- fillet-brazing to reinforce headtube intersections
- Tange tubing
- seattube reinforcement collar with Hite-Rite tab and Mountain Goat heads brazed on
- prepared for racks
All there. It looks like Mountain Goat were very serious about creating a convincing Mountain Goat. They did their (outsourcing) job accurately. It is very unlike for example the 'Team Chance' (a Fat Chance inspired bicycle by the Canadian importer that didn't look like a FAT at all).
What is not like with the Escape Goat is that the Trench Goat was available as complete bike only, came in less sizing variations and was available with only paint scheme option: a distinctive salmon base with white splitter-splatter on one side and yellow on the other. Very nice imo.
Two years long the Trench Goat was carried in the Mountain Goat line up. I don't know why it was discontinued. Does anyone?
What I do know is that from than on it looks like that Mountain Goat steers away from sourcing abroad:
- in catalogs and ads there are explicit mentions of that all Mountain Goat frames are US/California-built
- Mountain Goat offers an 'American Pick' component selection
- in 1994 Mountain Goat opens a production shop that aims to keep series frame production in US (Altitude)
From this perspective it makes Mountain Goat's attempt with Japanese production, this Trench Goat, extra interesting. Anyway, I do like it a lot and I am sure I will be enjoying this Goat a lot the upcoming many years. I hope you like too.
There is also black splitter-splitter:
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Thread: Mountain Goat Trench Goat
Check out the hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »