Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007

Most underrated vintage mountain bike.

Just to keep the VRC microverse in balance, a sister to ckevlar's thread.............

Jamis Dragon - been in production almost continuously since early 1990s (still steel AFAIK) - reviews well - got a certain under-the-radar cool - never see them mentioned on here.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Most under rated, probably mostly due to the fact I've never seen another, (and sticking with your theme!) 1987 Jamis Dakota LTD. All black, braze ons for the shoulder pad/bag (you know you wanted one), fender, rack and three bottles. Suntour PowerCams with cool Jamis cordura covers to keep the crap out, a Tange double butted frame. Managed to finagle a "last years" Deore drivetrain (from the head wrenches bike, who had just gotten the "new" XT, ooooo....) onto it, and then the story begins.....

My first mtb, from the first shop I worked at, and probably a big part of why I'm still in love with bikes.

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

VRC Hound
    Specialized, Americans, Curtlos

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    Specialized, Americans, Curtlos
    I thought of stumpjumpers, steel, but they do have a cult following of their own.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

John Galt
    Great thread idea...

I think the '87 Paramountain might qualify here. It doesn't get too much attention here, although I'm not sure if that's because there aren't that many, or because of limited interest. Regardless, it's a limited-production, lugged Prestige frame tied to Ned Overend's 1986 NORBA nationals victory. I'm a big fan of the way mine rides - quick, but not twitchy, and it's nice and light.

I suppose the 1988 Schwinn KOM might fit into the same category - I believe it's a very similar frame. I've never ridden that one, though.

artistic...
    Brew, Cherry bicycles, Smorgasbord..
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    Brew, Cherry bicycles, Smorgasbord..
    Brew, not so much. I wanted one so bad when I was working in a shop, but just couldn't swing one at the time. I recall Steve's bikes being refered to as single season race bikes, and when I finally scored one for my wire a couple years ago I found out why. Way underbuild and potentially a lack of technical expertice in building with lightweight tubing (Tange Prestige).

The 180 Proof I picked up had a small crack under the seat collar. I had Rody repair it for me. After he stripped the paint off he found that somebody had repaired the crack once before with some silver. Well, the bike had original paint, so it had cracked in the process of being built and was repaired prior to paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Curtlo is a good one, but maybe too small-scale to be underrated?

I would also concur with Jamis. Nice spec. Higher end ones made at Serotta, no?

I'd also say Bridgestone counts as underrated. Perhaps they were too understated for the early 90s mtb scene. Stodgy sounding name (well, to my ears anyway), but nice riding bikes with good aesthetics.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y
    Curtlo is a good one, but maybe too small-scale to be underrated?

I'd also say Bridgestone counts as underrated. Perhaps they were too understated for the early 90s mtb scene. Stodgy sounding name (well, to my ears anyway), but nice riding bikes with good aesthetics.

Otis Guy, but I think they fall into the same too small scale as well.

I've liked the Bridgestones I've tried, so I agree with you there.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y
    I would also concur with Jamis. Nice spec. Higher end ones made at Serotta, no?
    IIRC Teesdale made some
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Yep~!
    Later mid-late 90s ones, it seems. http://tetcycles.com/bikes/about/
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Bike Dork
    I'm not judging, just asking, didn't we just have this thread around Thanksgiving?

Underrated bikes I've personally owned and and almost never see posts on Miele and Yakota for starters. There are a ton of underrated small builders so I won't count them. I would also have to say the late-80s Rockhoppers in particular as the Stumpjumpers have a weird following and lots of knee-jerk detractors, but the Rockhoppers get almost no love at all.

mtbr member
    Boulder Bikes they got it right the first time with their single pivot design.

Barracuda specifically the A2X.

GT Zaskar X best looking and strongest of all the Zaskars.
    The lowest number of posts to time on site ratio?

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Otis Guy, but I think they fall into the same too small scale as well.
    I agree on Otis Guy and think Gecko might also be a name that stayed too small for much attention. I've never ridden one, however...

mtbr member
    I have to agree with Cegrover about the early Paramountions and KOM's but I'd also include the early 90's Paramount PDG Series 90's, I've had one and I wish I didnt sell it. Handled great/excellent sterring/lite, it was a fun rider and was the lightest steering bike I've ever owned. Wanted 17" frame/fork
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    Cherry bicycles
    AHHH! I didn't know anyone else knew about these! I've been searching for an older Cherry Bomb for years now. John makes some great looking (and riding) bikes. Who knew such great bikes would come out of Lafayette, Indiana.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    '96 Mongoose Hilltopper.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Rodriguez... Local yes, but also in the game early. Beautiful frames.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Stokeless Asshat
    S Works steel, Series 80/90 Paramount's, Monster Fats, tigged Salsa's, Privateer's, Ultra's.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    I think Bridgestones are overrated. They get a lot of attention for a quirky but otherwise average mass produced bike. I've owned a zip, Mb-1 and a XO-1 and for the rocky, steep trails in the northeast the Fats I've owned/own were all much better. Other than build quality this is all personal taste.
    bruce b.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    S Works steel, Series 80/90 Paramount's, Monster Fats, tigged Salsa's, Privateer's, Ultra's.
    I agree about the non-Wicked based Monster. Same basic geo as a Yo, better ride and cheaper. For some reason that bike didn't catch on as the Fat bargain the way the Buck Shaver did later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    American

below the radar of most........

Great welds w/ full solution treatment process AFTER welding / great choices in geometry / light weight / durable design / limited production.

Last edited by crconsulting; 01-06-2010 at 07:51 AM.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    American

Great welds w/ full solution treatment process AFTER welding / great choices in geometry / light weight / durable design / limited production.

Strong play! I'd love to try one out sometime...

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    American

I agree. I lusted after these rigs in the early 90's.

Another point to make was their use of "hard" anodizing instead of paint. Military spec ano in several cool colors.

mtbr member
    I rode a 90 American Comp Lite through most of the 90's as my primary bike. Needless to say, I am biased towards Americans and think they are great.One thing I didn't like about the frame was how American used rivets to clamp the der hanger to the frame. The hanger would develop play over time. I believe American switched to a different mounting style in the final years.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast