mtbr member
    Oct 2009

This mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!

100% original, all XT. Great score I think. I have always wanted one of these, and it basically fell in my lap this morning! A local CL buyer (interested in some of my old misc parts I did not want) came to my house this morning. We talked about what I was selling for a little while, and then he asked me if I would be interested in a possible trade deal for what he had in his van. All he said was it was an old 26" bike that he bought new in the early nineties and spent quite a bit for back then. I was like "yeah sure, let me see what you have" . I was not expecting this...
    He opened the door and my eyes lit up. I knew right away what it was, but unsure of the year till I saw the serial numbers. He told me instead of paying me for the parts he wanted, that he would offer me an even up trade for the bike. It took me about 2 seconds to shake his hand... Awesome...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!-zaskar-001.jpg  

This mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!-zaskar-002.jpg  

This mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!-zaskar-003.jpg  

2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Nice when it works out for both parties like that. Sweet hubs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I told the guy on the phone last night that I also like older bikes, but had no clue he would actually bring one to offer as a trade!...I do not know anything about the Ringle hub at all, other than the fact I have never seen another one. I do not know if it was stock on the bike when it was new. The rear is XT, but both rims are identical (Araya RM-17 Super Hard). Can anyone tell me if this bike should have black decals, or if there were other color schemes in 91? I want to clean it up and put new decals on it, I just want to get the correct ones. Looks like the American flag decal is original to the bike.
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nice score, my 92 Zaskar is a blast , 18" or 20", it should be stamped on the left stay. Retrobike • View topic - 1991 GT USA Mountain bike catalog

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray View Post
    I told the guy on the phone last night that I also like older bikes, but had no clue he would actually bring one to offer as a trade!...I do not know anything about the Ringle hub at all, other than the fact I have never seen another one. I do not know if it was stock on the bike when it was new. The rear is XT, but both rims are identical (Araya RM-17 Super Hard). Can anyone tell me if this bike should have black decals, or if there were other color schemes in 91? I want to clean it up and put new decals on it, I just want to get the correct ones. Looks like the American flag decal is original to the bike.
    I wouldn't say that bike is 100% original. Not stock anyway. Better! Some of those parts on there are definitely good upgrades. That purple Ringle hub being one of them. If you've never seen another, you must have started mountain biking in the mid to late 90's or later...or had no mtbs in the town you grew up in? Not an uncommon hub. Popular and way cool...but lots of them out there. Keep an eye on it, they've been known to crack.

Killer trade for some stuff you were just trying to otherwise get rid of. Love it when stuff works out like that. A good cleaning and rebuild and that bike will be more than trail worthy.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Sneaker man
    Is it a hubba bubba hub? either way ringle wouldn't be stock.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people have no idea what they have. I can understand someone who bought it off someone as a cheap bike. But the amount of people (now this isn't a bad thing, just that I am persoanlly baffled by it), that spent some serious money on a bike back when, but now 20 years later they don't know what its called, who made it, what parts. I can understand they wouldn't think it was worth anything, but it's not like they went and bought some low end trek.
    I guess better than the "I paid 5k for it then, its a good bike, rode it heaps, its quite valuable you know, i want what i paid for it...
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes Rumpfy, you nailed it, I started riding in the 95-ish range ( a 96 Pro-Flex Beast was my first "real" MTB), so the Ringle hub was not familiar until now... I was more of a BMX er in the 80's (but weren't we all?)
    Wasn't the 91 only offered as a frame only? I am trying to research, but it has only been 12 hours that I have had it... Also I am thinking the black decals would have been on it when it was new.
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Is it a hubba bubba hub? either way ringle wouldn't be stock.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people have no idea what they have. I can understand someone who bought it off someone as a cheap bike. But the amount of people (now this isn't a bad thing, just that I am persoanlly baffled by it), that spent some serious money on a bike back when, but now 20 years later they don't know what its called, who made it, what parts. I can understand they wouldn't think it was worth anything, but it's not like they went and bought some low end trek.
    I guess better than the "I paid 5k for it then, its a good bike, rode it heaps, its quite valuable you know, i want what i paid for it...
    Forgot to mention that the guy also told me that when he bought it, that he remembered being told that it was a GT factory team bike ... I really have no proof of that, but I do know the bike did come from Green Mountain Cyclery in Ephrata PA (5 minutes from my house), so it would not surprise me. I could ask Mike next time I see him, he may remember, who knows...
    Last edited by A-Ray; 02-10-2013 at 05:44 AM.
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    The great thing about those old Zaskars is you can make that frame look almost new very easily. I had one that was oxidized and butt ugly. I stripped it down and wet sanded it down to 2000 grit and then polished it with a buffer and it came out to a mirror finish. Took about 4 hours. Then I just got some decals off ebay for $25 bucks or so.

Yours looks like just a good cleaning and some Mothers polish would make it look great.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I did do a little bit of cleaning on it this morning. Took a little aluminum wheel cleaner, then some simple green to get the gunk off, then I hit it with some "Brasso" metal polish that I had sitting on the shelf. Holy crap that stuff works great. I will do a spot with the wet 2000 paper too and see how much of a difference there will be, then go with it. Thanks
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member

Re: This mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!

Nice score

mtbr member
    Great pick up! I too came across a smokin opportunity a few years back on this very original 93. Little bit of elbow grease and some minor tweaks here & there really pays off. Well worth the "polishing" effort.

BenThis mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!-08-28-12-zaskar.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well here she is after about 8 hours of cleaning, polishing, and re-assembly. Amazing how much of a difference there is now! Amazing that the Mag 21 Fork works flawlessly as well, I was sure that thing would have been toast...
    I put the orange Grips on it for now, the clear original ODI's need to be cleaned, as well as the original pedals. Period Serfas saddle finish it off. Not sure if I even want to add decals now either...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!-zaskar-013.jpg  

This mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!-zaskar-011.jpg  

This mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!-zaskar-010.jpg  

This mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!-zaskar-008.jpg  

This mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!-zaskar-007.jpg  

2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

the new Gilbert Grape
    It looks great!!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    It looks great!!
    Ya it does!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    It looks great!!
    How does it ride?
    WTB: Bontrager Comp Fork & Syncros metal top cap

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    10 bucks on jarring!

What a great job on the clean up. Congrats, A Ray!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    She rides smooth as glass...Thanks!
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    10 bucks on jarring!
    Mine rides good enough that I am hanging on to it. Set up rigid(3D fork) with 2.35's and low pressure it's a blast on smooth singletrack and makes for a great bike when things are sloppy or wet for obvious reasons.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just took it up the road to the local convenience store with the dog (in the snowstorm)
    Rides fantastic. Planning on keeping this one around for a long time. Fred Smedley I have some newer 2.35's I may put on it too, good call!
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray View Post
    Just took it up the road to the local convenience store with the dog (in the snowstorm)
    Rides fantastic. Planning on keeping this one around for a long time. Fred Smedley I have some newer 2.35's I may put on it too, good call!
    I kind of meant as a mountain bike on dirt singletrack but Fred answered exactly the question I had. A-Ray, serious good job on you and I'm very happy you like it. That's pretty much why we're all here. Good luck in the storm. (You talking about Nemo?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yup, Nemo, although I am on the southern end of it in PA... Still a good reason to go out and have the dog pull me around!
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quite a transition for 8 hours of work. Bare Aluminum sure cleans up well. Zaskar's have a classic ride. They've been everywhere and back and still ride strong.

mtbr member

Re: This mornings score...a 91 Zaskar!

Great job Ray, looks fantastic !