mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Mongoose D40 Upgrade HELP!!

I bought a Mongoose D40, well when they first came out, and it has been sitting in the shed for about 4-5 years now. I am fixing to start back to school and also do a little bit of trail riding, and I dont really want to pay 500 for another bike. So, what kind of upgrades do I need to do to this bike to make it top notch. I am fixing to take it to the shop this week or next and me being bike illiterate, I want to go in prepared and knowing what I need and want. I dont know anything about "retro" fitting so thats why I am coming to you guys for your help. Help me make my old bike a great bike at a good budget. SO anyone and everyone give me some ideas and advice.

locked - time out
    Sep 2005
    Is this a bike from walmart? If it is. I wouldn't invest any money into it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yea it did come from wal-mart. Why wouldnt you, I have read a bunch of reviews and it says this is a good beginner bike with a pretty good frame, even tho its heavy, but it takes lots of abuse. I have already invested 300+ when I bought it, and to be honest with you, im not looking to buy another $500 bike. I just want to ride a little bit and use it for classes.

Stokeless Asshat

Tune up.

If it`s in ok shape I would just have the shop do a tune up and go from there. Ride it untill something breaks or wears out and upgrade those parts then.
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the bike actually looks brand new, except some fading in the seat, but im gonna replace it. The big things thats wrong with it, of course the cables are rusted for the shifter and the brakes, and it isnt letting them work, but other than that, it actually looks like it did the day I bought it. I, Honestly, probably rode the bike a total of 5 times, and now I am getting to be 26 and Im not playing ball as much anymore, and my OUTA SHAPE A$$ is paying for it. LOL

locked - time out
    Sep 2005
    You could buy a nice older mountain bike with better components and a better ride for the same price will spend getting the Mongoose up and running. Check out what they have for used bikes at your local bike shop. I bet you'll find something better for cheap.

mtbr member
    Honestly...just ride it. If you like it....keep it. If something breaks....replace it.