Thread: Modern Classics

mtbr member

Modern Classics

I thought it might be cool to post up modern bikes that have the same feel and vibe as the bikes from the era we love. You know, steel or ti bikes, lugs, fillets, that kind of stuff. And to be more specific, I mean bike builders. Steve Potts would definitely be on this list, if not at the top, seeing as though he built bikes back in the day and continues to. I've been toying with the idea of a custom bike, and I guess that's what inspired this thread. Here's a few modern classic bike builders I know about. Share the local ones you know about!

La Suprema: Ed Foster builds really nice bikes out of Tucson. Super cool guy, and really nice bikes. Like this 29er SS he built, frame and all.

Coconino Cycles: I went to school in Flagstaff for a few years, and that's where Steve Garro builds Coconinos. Gorgeous bikes.

Vulture Cycles: Wade Beauchamp is another Flagstaff mountain biker who moved to Oregon and started Vulture Cycles. I actually rode the first bike he ever built. It was way too big for me. He builds really nice bikes these days.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Garro and Wade are good friends of mine, but I would no associate their frames with VRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Schipperkes are cool.
    crap double post

mtbr member
    Don't be hatin' Scott! Did you read the title? I'm looking for modern classics. Bikes that combine the old styles with new technology, like the fillet brazing on Coconinos with disc brakes.

I'm thinking Mountain Goat would qualify. Anybody know of cool local builders that are making modern classics?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

you can't have modern classics

You can't rekindle the spirit of classics. To much has changed. Tires are too good. Brakes are too good. Suspension is to good. Things don't bend flex and break any more. The modern bike is fool proof. Part of the classic magic was pioneering technology, every ride with new products was and experiment. Even cheap tektro disk brakes today stop like a m***erfu**er.

You could replicate and old bike with old everything but whats the point. Lets all get a ride in this weekend.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Ok, I gotchya!

Voodoo Agwe.

those are Rollercams...

Vulture???

Last I had heard, Wade had stopped building frames and was working in the aerospace industry. When did he start up business again?

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Last I had heard, Wade had stopped building frames and was working in the aerospace industry. When did he start up business again?
    You got me. All I know is the website still works.

And I had no idea this topic would sputter and fail. Doesn't anyone know of bike builders from their own locale?

And you can rekindle. Mountain Goat would be an example, I think. I just thought it would be cool to share modern bikes that have a classic feel, like I said. I could go back to posting pictures of neon paint jobs though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by djmuff
    And I had no idea this topic would sputter and fail. Doesn't anyone know of bike builders from their own locale?
    Bilenky Cycles in Philadelphia crafts some nice steel rides that fit the bill:

http://www.bilenky.com/Home_.html

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Last I had heard, Wade had stopped building frames and was working in the aerospace industry.
    Correct. he might build frames for certain people though.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    The classics are bikes that were totally b!tchin' in their day, and are still great. As far as modern bikes are concerned, I'd probably cite full suspension bikes, like the Intense M1, Specialized's XC specific, short travel bike, Turners, Santa Cruz Superlight, etc. It's kinda funny that I still get my psyched to go riding by my Curtlo and some of the bikes posted in this forum than any full suspension bike that I just listed. Well, OK, I'd love to take shuttle runs on an M1, as outdated as it might.

Exaggerated member
    What about Andy Gilmore (in Arizona, Phoenix, I think?)? I almost bid on one of his fillet brazed mountain bike frames that he'd listed on Ebay approx. 18 months ago. First class craftsmanship, looked gorgeous. He doesn't make that many mtb's either.

Edit: possibly a spelling mistake, I think it's Andy Gilmour but please correct me where necessary.

2nd Edit: Actual location is Tuscon, Arizona.
    Last edited by alexk; 10-13-2008 at 07:55 PM.
    Alex

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klein nerd
    You can't rekindle the spirit of classics. To much has changed.
    You can rekindle the spirit with modern bikes and parts. The end product just works better. The OP was looking for bikes that look retro but perform like a modern ride. Curt Inglis builds some beautiful looking cantilever style frames that take modern components. Specialized did an anniversary model Stumpjumper that used current XT components. While it looked vintage it performed great.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Correct. he might build frames for certain people though.
    That's what I thought. I seem to remember Wade saying (on his blog, I think) He'd still build, complete bikes only, if your idea interested him and you were willing to wait a long time and spend a lot of money. I really wanted a Vulture but dragged my feet ordering one, proverbially "snoozed and lost".

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

artistic...
    cococino road bikes are beautifull.
    rody builds modern classics. so does pacenti. everyone doing handbuilt steel hardtails is soomewaht doing modern classics.

Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by djmuff
    I thought it might be cool to post up modern bikes that have the same feel and vibe as the bikes from the era we love. You know, steel or ti bikes, lugs, fillets, that kind of stuff. And to be more specific, I mean bike builders. Steve Potts would definitely be on this list, if not at the top, seeing as though he built bikes back in the day and continues to. I've been toying with the idea of a custom bike, and I guess that's what inspired this thread. Here's a few modern classic bike builders I know about. Share the local ones you know about!

La Suprema: Ed Foster builds really nice bikes out of Tucson. Super cool guy, and really nice bikes. Like this 29er SS he built, frame and all.
    I like that what handlebar grips are those?

VRC Hound
    Surprised it took so long to get to Rody. His bikes are great. When I get space for another new one in my stable I'll take a hard look at something Groovy.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by djmuff View Post

Vulture Cycles: Wade Beauchamp is another Flagstaff mountain biker who moved to Oregon and started Vulture Cycles. I actually rode the first bike he ever built. It was way too big for me. He builds really nice bikes these days.

how's about i resurrect this old thread with a couple classic pics of Wade-the-Vulture riding an unpainted Vulture #1 waaay back in the day!

Modern Classics-6170921127_03cdfe5a4a_z.jpg

Modern Classics-6170924911_108657ec18_b.jpg
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

gobsmacked Moderator
    Whoa! I didn't know he was a Flag guy. Always enjoy your posts.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I love the Rock Lobster that Paul built for me a few months ago.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Whoa! I didn't know he was a Flag guy. Always enjoy your posts.
    Thanks!

Wade lived in FLG for quite some time. One of my favorite people to ride with. Ever.

Found one more picture of him riding Vulture #1 in the archives. This one was taken out near Chinle, AZ, at a place known only as "slickrock right" to the locals. Wade lived there for a bit, in between FLG and Bend, if recollection serves.

Modern Classics-57304885_2358314ec1_o.jpg
    Last edited by rockychrysler; 03-09-2016 at 03:09 PM.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey

Stokeless Asshat
    A Flag classic by a classic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modern Classics-img_2093.jpg  

Modern Classics-img_2108.jpg  

Modern Classics-img_2114.jpg  

Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

velocipede technician
    That is easily one of my favorites^^
    looking for 20-21" P team

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    Thanks!

This one was taken out near Chinle, AZ, at a place known only as "slickrock right" to the locals.
    I've been there I think it should be called the, "hottest place in the world." Oh my god, it was so hot there.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    A Flag classic by a classic.
    So excited that you got that fork for that frame. You've had it for a while now, what do you think of the combo?

Stokeless Asshat
    It's a dream date. As smooth as any hard tail can be. The 2.5's, Ti bars, steel stem and Ti Brooks really help. I asked for all day geo so it rides itself when the hours get long.
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I've been there I think it should be called the, "hottest place in the world." Oh my god, it was so hot there.

So excited that you got that fork for that frame. You've had it for a while now, what do you think of the combo?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    It's a dream date. As smooth as any hard tail can be. The 2.5's, Ti bars, steel stem and Ti Brooks really help. I asked for all day geo so it rides itself when the hours get long.
    your bike is a real beauty, jeff!

i got my Coconino just over a year ago with none of those fancy connecting-bits and a simple one-color (builder's choice as long as it's purple) powdercoat.

Despite its blue-collar accoutrements it's still the best riding/fitting/handling bike i've ever owned. period.

there is magic in steve's torch.

Modern Classics-10930889_10152937564523123_4674149744371485217_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Don McLung makes some cool bikes out in Colorado. A local has one. It is a thing of beauty.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    That is easily one of my favorites^^
    I remember when Steve was building that one and the first thing after saying I liked the color scheme was to ask if it was gonna be pinstriped to accent it. Cool builder, cool guy, worth knowing. Always love his fishing pictures and posts too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wade was originally building on an old IRD frame jig. It was pretty cool but didn't look like it was the easiest jig to work with. First bike he built to sell was mine, (Vulture #2) a modern day X-Frame with rollercams front and rear, Phil oval downtube. Was a pretty sweet ride but certainly not the lightest. I broke the seat tube and moved across country and it got lost somewhere along the way. I have pics somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them up.