mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Missing part from 90's Seat-post - Original to Barracuda A2E?

I recently picked up a Barracuda A2E frame and it came along with some components which I think are original to the bike - one of those is the seat-post. As you can see, it's a somewhat unique 2-bolt setup but it's missing one of the clamps so it's currently useless. I realize this is a long-shot, but any idea where I might find the missing part? Heck, even a picture of the missing part would help so that I can fabricate a new one.

Any leads appreciated...

mtbr member
    I used to have a Barracuda with the same host of branded parts---that's the OEM post on Barracudas, pretty sure it was made by Kalloy. Aside from fabricating something, your best best is finding another Barracuda. Or just buying a new post to get the bike going-- it isn't anything particularly special as far as posts go.

I found a couple Kalloy posts exactly like it years ago in Japan. I bought a few since they were $5 and ano violet (alas, long gone now).... so another option might be searching the parts bins at your LBS.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    so another option might be searching the parts bins at your LBS.
    Thanks for the confirmation - actually the fact that it's likely a Kalloy part probably helps more than the fact that it's original to the 'cuda.

I actually stopped by a couple LBS's yesterday and pretty much got laughed out of the store at 2 out of 3 of them. One guy, at Campmor, was interested and helpful, but still suggested I was probably chasing after a needle in a haystack. I do realize that, but it's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase.

Thanks again...

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I'd like to see pics of the bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I'd like to see pics of the bike!
    It's not really a "bike" just yet - here's a thread I started on the Barracuda restoration forum with pics as it stands right now...
    Barracuda - Totally Driven! • View topic - '94 A2E Rebuild

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    similar idea:
    Kalloy seatpost black 31.8mm diameter, 400mm length

syncros was an early version of that clamp style:

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by doc Zox View Post
    syncros was an early version of that clamp style:
    Thanks, that pic helps a bunch - I should be able to machine the part from some AL bar stock.

DFA
    mtbr member
    It's a generic Kalloy part. IIRC this was on my A2X

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DFA View Post
    Perfect, thanks! Hey, do you still need it?

DFA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
    Perfect, thanks! Hey, do you still need it?
    I don't see myself ever using it. I have a tendency to hoard. Ya never know what's gonna come in handy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We have a tendency to hoard.

The precious! The precious! Nasty Hobbitises grubbing about in my wine crates of vintage partses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I don't see myself ever using it. I have a tendency to hoard.
    So you're saying I would be doing you a favor to liberate this part from your hoard and help you with your "problem"? I would even offer this therapeutic service at no charge.

DFA
    mtbr member
    Sure. PM me

mtbr member
    Chasertech has the same post new on eBay. Nice light seat post. I ran one on my Xizang a few years.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Sweep the leg!

That one looks very bent. I have a pair of older Syncros posts that are similar but don't have the reinforcing part. They're cracked a bit but they hold.

I'd buy a new post. There's nothing special about that 'cuda post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Missing part from 90's Seat-post - Original to Barracuda A2E?-syncros.jpg  

Last edited by Caffeine Powered; 03-17-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    That one looks very bent. I have a pair of older Syncros posts that are similar but don't have the reinforcing part. They're cracked a bit but they hold.

I'd buy a new post. There's nothing special about that 'cuda post.
    I agree, it does appear bent, which is possibly why yours is missing. Bent, cracked, split in two and gone.

Curious if you checked for a similar new current style post, possibly in the online QBP catalog?

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I agree, it does appear bent, which is possibly why yours is missing. Bent, cracked, split in two and gone.

Curious if you checked for a similar new current style post, possibly in the online QBP catalog?
    I think the primary reason why that piece went missing on mine is because it's not positively secured in any way when the seat is removed and the bolts are left loose.

Even a bent piece would be helpful in allowing me to get the bike initially operational and then later on I could have some fun fabricating a "new & improved" part from some 2024 half-round stock.

Yes, a new post would be the simple and sensible way to go - sometimes you just need to take the hard way for the sheer challenge of it. We ride bikes, so that shouldn't be a foreign concept.

Wasn't familiar with QBP, so thanks for the lead on that. But looking at their site, it appears that they cater to LBS only, and they seem rather strict about enforcing that from their app process, yes?

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
    I think the primary reason why that piece went missing on mine is because it's not positively secured in any way when the seat is removed and the bolts are left loose.

Even a bent piece would be helpful in allowing me to get the bike initially operational and then later on I could have some fun fabricating a "new & improved" part from some 2024 half-round stock.

Yes, a new post would be the simple and sensible way to go - sometimes you just need to take the hard way for the sheer challenge of it. We ride bikes, so that shouldn't be a foreign concept.

Wasn't familiar with QBP, so thanks for the lead on that. But looking at their site, it appears that they cater to LBS only, and they seem rather strict about enforcing that from their app process, yes?

Correct, challenging and difficult can be fun.

QBP was merely to offer a guideline to some photos and a possible match. Yes you would need to order via your LBS unless you qualified as a dealer.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

You rock! Thanks very much!

Happy Easter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Missing part from 90's Seat-post - Original to Barracuda A2E?-p4082254.jpg  

mtbr member
    Let's see the whole bike now

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rudymexico View Post
    Let's see the whole bike now
    It's not currently a "whole bike". But here's a pic any way...

mtbr member
    I like your forks...