Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Mid to late 90's Trek 9xx series (930,950,970,990).............

Why don't they have a cool factor to them? I mean they are good ol' American made True Temper steel frames right? They offer a great ride, hard to kill, and spec'd nicely for their time. Is it more or less because they come from a large manufacturer and not a boutique builder? I mean I know the welds look like crap but I can't see them when I ride so that doesn't bother me.

I don't see a lot of them pop up here either restored or modernized so I was just curious.

Any thoughts?
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by blak_byke
    Why don't they have a cool factor to them?
    Any thoughts?
    Because their owners are generally pains in the ass. See: "turn an old trek 850 into cyclocross" bike thread.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati
    Actually...the real answer (or what I feel to be the reason), is that there's nothing special about them. Dime a dozen. Not collectible, not hard to get....and if you've ever spent time on some of the nicer bikes from the era....that Trek is not really something people actively seek out to restore or upgrade.

A lot of us got into 'VRC' because the bikes we lusted after are more affordable to us now. I didn't pine through the pages of MBA dreaming of a Trek 930. I had to buy an entry level Stumpjumper. But now that I'm older....I went for the Ritchey P-23 I always wanted. I went for the decked out Yeti. I hunted for the Salsa.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Because their owners are generally pains in the ass. See: "turn an old trek 850 into cyclocross" bike thread.
    I am so sorry blak_byke, my name has been invoked and your thread is now condemned to not recieve any answers to your actual question. I will pray for you and hope the MTBR Vaudeville act of "post-modern hollister", "girlonbike the entertainer" and "Rumpfy the-magnificent" don't drive you to insanity for asking the wrong kind of question.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by momosgarage
    I am so sorry blak_byke, my name has been invoked and your thread is now condemned to not recieve any answers to your actual question.
    long story short:

we blame you
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy

You're an ass.....but I mean that in an endearing sort of way LOL! I hollered when I read your response!
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    long story short:

we blame you
    short story long:

folks just read the other thread and make up your own minds.

Let me welcome you to the MTBR Vaudeville act and traveling circus, known as:

"No point in answering stinking questions we don't like"

starring

"post-modern hollister",

"girlonbike the entertainer"

"Rumpfy the magnificent"

&

"Williwoods the thinskins hunter"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Actually...the real answer (or what I feel to be the reason), is that there's nothing special about them. Dime a dozen. Not collectible, not hard to get....and if you've ever spent time on some of the nicer bikes from the era....that Trek is not really something people actively seek out to restore or upgrade.

A lot of us got into 'VRC' because the bikes we lusted after are more affordable to us now. I didn't pine through the pages of MBA dreaming of a Trek 930. I had to buy an entry level Stumpjumper. But now that I'm older....I went for the Ritchey P-23 I always wanted. I went for the decked out Yeti. I hunted for the Salsa.

I see where you're coming from. For me, It's my IBOC ZERO-G. For the masses it was another 'dime a dozen' bike but for me it was my first mountain bike....A MONGOOSE! My previous bike was a Mongoose Supergoose that my Pop's bought me. So for me, it's like having a little piece of him. I keep building it up but keep feeling feeling like NAAAAH, not the right build. It's a sentimental thing. I know, I'm a softy

VRC Illuminati
    I am so sorry blak_byke, my name has been invoked and your thread is now condemned to not recieve any answers to your actual question. I will pray for you and hope the MTBR Vaudeville act of "post-modern hollister", "girlonbike the entertainer" and "Rumpfy the-magnificent" don't drive you to insanity for asking the wrong kind of question.

What are you talkin' about!? I answered his question after I made the funny.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    You're an ass.....but I mean that in an endearing sort of way LOL! I hollered when I read your response!

Haha! A magnificent ass, thankyouverymuch.
    -eric-

velocipede technician
    everyone else got a better stage name than me

boo!
    looking for 20-21" P team

VRC Illuminati
    I see where you're coming from. For me, It's my IBOC ZERO-G. For the masses it was another 'dime a dozen' bike but for me it was my first mountain bike....A MONGOOSE! My previous bike was a Mongoose Supergoose that my Pop's bought me. So for me, it's like having a little piece of him. I keep building it up but keep feeling feeling like NAAAAH, not the right build. It's a sentimental thing. I know, I'm a softy

Totally. And a lot of people here do that too, seeking out their first mountain bike. Or still have their first mountain bike and want to find a way to keep it running. Sentimental ownership is a powerful thing.

And if you like the bike, you like the bike...thats most important. But generally speaking, those threads don't get all that much attention or people excited. Those bikes are on every college campus in the US...if I want to see one, I'll go there. (tongue in cheek, but I know ur pickin' up what I'm puttin' down here).
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister

boo!

I have lots of stage names for you...but the keep getting censored here.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    short story long:

folks just read the other thread and make up your own minds.

Let me welcome you to the MTBR Vaudeville act and traveling circus, known as:

"No point in answering stinking questions we don't like"

starring

"post-modern hollister",

"girlonbike the entertainer"

"Rumpfy the magnificent"

&

"Williwoods the thinskins hunter"

LOL! I feel you Momo. I've been lurking and posting every so often over the years so I've been witness to some of the craziness that goes on here in the VRC and SS forums. Although I haven't been a victim.....yet, I still think some of it goes a bit far. With that said it was quite ironic that I read you post about suspension travel not 15 minutes before you posted here. I'm just glad you didn't totally leave the site after that experience and although your question was bit vague the first time I read it, still, it deserved a more informative answer. Hell, I had the same question some time ago and usually read when someone posts a similar thread. These guys will rip ya, but it's all good

Damn! I crashed my own thread......OLD BIKES! Whew....back on topic lol!
    Last edited by blak_byke; 01-26-2011 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What are you talkin' about!? I answered his question after I made the funny.

Yes you did....Mr Magnificent lol!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Totally. And a lot of people here do that too, seeking out their first mountain bike. Or still have their first mountain bike and want to find a way to keep it running. Sentimental ownership is a powerful thing.

And if you like the bike, you like the bike...thats most important. But generally speaking, those threads don't get all that much attention or people excited. Those bikes are on every college campus in the US...if I want to see one, I'll go there. (tongue in cheek, but I know ur pickin' up what I'm puttin' down here).

Yup. I gotcha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister

boo!

Btw PMH,

They are only better stage names if you BELIEVE they are better.......he he.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Isn't it awesome that, when you add an actual sense of humor, "venom" becomes a joke that we can all laugh about?

Humor gets a bad rap in this place - all the softies think it's someone being mean...

mtbr member
    I guess humor IS the secret handshake of the VRC illuminati......

should only take a dozen or so posts on the vrc to figure that out.

for some I guess its not THAT obvious, and really what fun is it to have to spell it out? ooops.

illuminaughty
    Humor is humor, BS is BS...we all know the difference. Even us "softies"

VRC Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV
    Humor is humor, BS is BS...we all know the difference. Even us "softies"
    No you don't.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb
    Isn't it awesome that, when you add an actual sense of humor, "venom" becomes a joke that we can all laugh about?

Humor gets a bad rap in this place - all the softies think it's someone being mean...
    Yup!

Countless examples of that. If you can roll with the punches and take a laugh at your expense...you'll probably be just fine.
    -eric-

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Just a recap since I'm so, um, flummoxed and impressed at the same time....

Guy asks question about vanilla plain jane bike.

Gets crap for it.

Rolls with it, actually posts a good volley shot back.

Gets answer he was looking for and pleasant conversation ensues.

THEN.......

Poor fella who just can't figure out that good advice can come in *interesting* packages (long time in the past now) posts conciliatory response to the OP, after all's well in the world.

Wow. I guess baffled is a better word.

All I can say is, blak_byke for mod!

As for the bike, agreed, pretty much exactly what Rumpfy said. Kinda like collecting and coveting Chevy Citations......

But if it was your first car, you might want one in the back of the barn for old times sake
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    All I can say is, blak_byke for mod!

I think for now we are sticking with the current administration.

It's at least a five year commission.

Besides, didn't the past administration give you the keys to the helicopter.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Don't remind me, Rumpfy still buzzes my shop in the dang thing, just trying to make me jealous I think.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

VRC Illuminati
    Its all about how the question is asked and how the OP reacts to the replies.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Haha! Choppers and staff/henchmen were a package deal with the previous administration. I'm retired though. Sort of. Merely a peeon now.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    one nice things about the 850/950 Treks was lots of braze ons

fenders racks and water bottles

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sign me up LOL! What this whole mod thing pay? The economy is kinda' jacked and you know.......

Chevy Citations.....dang! Did you really have to go there? You brought back memories of my 79' Chevette. She was red with a gold stripe down the side. Kinda like the Redskins.....yeah I know we suck (let the bashing begin)

I definitely get it about the Treks, It's truly personal. Sad thing is that I'm actually about to dump my Trek frame stash....930 (x 3), 970 and 990. Truth is that I didn't know about all of these boutique brands when I bought my Mongoose years ago and really couldn't afford them once I did learn about them. Fortunately I ended up with 3 Schwinn Homegrowns (still own one) and a GT Lightning during the process but have pretty much sold everything off because I ended up with two Jamis Dragons....nothing VRC though. Once again, none of these are boutique but great bikes nonetheless. I am going to keep the lugged 930 just to do a fun project with some time in the future.

Yes there is some funny azz shyte that happens here but some rude retorts as well. I appreciate sarcasm like the next man or woman but do hate E-bullying when it goes down ....not saying that Momosgarage was being bullied. Part of me thinks that he was doing a little messing as well . My Grandmother used to say (insert Grandma' voice) "Some times you have to put on your thick skin baby". Either way, this site is a portal for all kinds of folks with views, thoughts and experiences on all kinds of bikes and we have a similar goal.....to enjoy them.

Thousands of folks + two wheels = one purpose......RIDE! Too mushy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    I think for now we are sticking with the current administration.

It's at least a five year commission.

RATZ!! Foiled again!!

Sign me up LOL! What this whole mod thing pay? The economy is kinda' jacked and you know.......

Sad thing is that I'm actually about to dump my Trek frame stash....930 (x 3), 970 and 990.
    Oh, you get paid alright, Anytime a butterfly flaps it's wings, I get paid.

I just knew this was a fishing expedition for pricing on your frames

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

gobsmacked Moderator
    Right?! Luckily he's a funny dude so no harm, no foul.

I think, frankly, the regulars can spot weirdness a million miles away and just get cranky about it. For example, people gave absolutely great advice early on in the momo thread but the OP was so dismissive, it was downright rude. His claim that he was just going to keep at it until somebody passes out and THEN look at the helpful advice was enough to show his strange attitude toward the forum members. Do my work, minions, and then I'll reward you with no ride report, no follow up and absolutely no pictures. Lame.

Anyhow, that's it! I'm done! Phew! I don't think I've met anybody with a Trek Stash before. They unfortunately, for their owners, don't sell for much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh, you get paid alright, Anytime a butterfly flaps it's wings, I get paid.

I just knew this was a fishing expedition for pricing on your frames

Fishing expedition? Naaaah not in the least, but I see why you would think so...my apologies. I respect the fact that this site needs revenue as well as patrons to continue to grow so I'm gonna TRY and stay in my lane and not fish.....too much.....to often.....to-day....j/k .

I was just clearing out all of my other crap in the basement and wondered why I still have all my Trek frames. If I was fishing I would have asked about all the stuff that IS worth something to you guys. I just sold a whole bunch of stuff on Evilbay over the past couple of weeks ( full LX group, STX-RC group including wheels, M900 group and seatpost, M952 parts, XC Pro thumbies, Ritchie logic cranks, etc) and I still haven't mentioned the stuff that's on there now. There are a lot of commuters and schools in my area so getting rid of them shouldn't be a problem. In addition, I wrench a little for my church cycle group and a few want me to build them low cost rides so that they can ride as well. I'm such a good guy...
    Last edited by blak_byke; 01-27-2011 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike
    Right?! Luckily he's a funny dude so no harm, no foul.

I think, frankly, the regulars can spot weirdness a million miles away and just get cranky about it. For example, people gave absolutely great advice early on in the momo thread but the OP was so dismissive, it was downright rude. His claim that he was just going to keep at it until somebody passes out and THEN look at the helpful advice was enough to show his strange attitude toward the forum members. Do my work, minions, and then I'll reward you with no ride report, no follow up and absolutely no pictures. Lame.

Anyhow, that's it! I'm done! Phew! I don't think I've met anybody with a Trek Stash before. They unfortunately, for their owners, don't sell for much.
    You are so kind and I my sense of of humor takes me a loooong way because my biking skills sure won't lol. My stash was, admittedly, my weak attempt @ getting what I thought to be a quality bike.....and they truly are in my opinion. I'm definitely no purist as I probably won't, in the foreseeable future, do a period correct restoration, but I DO love looking @ you guy's rides. I'm more of a 'modern twist on a classic' kinda guy which is why I get excited about Misterdangerpants and others builds so much.

I guess with all these bikes, if it's worth something to you......it's worth something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    His claim that he was just going to keep at it until somebody passes out and THEN look at the helpful advice was enough to show his strange attitude toward the forum members. Do my work, minions, and then I'll reward you with no ride report, no follow up and absolutely no pictures. Lame.
    ...and everybody is supposed to know about this unspoken etiquette consisting of "ride report, pictures and follow up". I don't work for you nor do you work for me. You don't have to post a reply, nor does the OP have to post a ride report, pictures or follow up.

Like I or anyone else that hasn't been on the board for 5+ years is supposed to know this. Let me clue you in, there are no rewards on a forum. If you don't like the thread or the OP who started it, IGNORE IT. Seems pretty easy to do.

Thanks "girlonbike the entertainer" for the tip, regarding yet another MTBR secret handshake.

Have you passed out yet from being cranky about non-MTBR insider posts and threads?

Certified Bike Junkie
    like this one?
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Certified Bike Junkie
    [QUOTE=momosgarage]Let me clue you in, there are no rewards on a forum.[QUOTE]

The knowledge and camraderie gained with out being a pretentious a-hole is its own reward. A concept blak_byke gets and you obviously don't.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy
    like this one?

MY MAN MY MAN!!

I guess if I would have clicked "MORE" I would have seent it (yes I said seent)....DOH!

Previous post Halo'd......

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The knowledge and camraderie gained with out being a pretentious a-hole is its own reward. A concept blak_byke gets and you obviously don't.
    Are we now entering into conflict? I don't recall us having any issues. I only address those who attack first.

Why incite a negative exchange?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Let me clue you in, there are no rewards on a forum.
    well, I got a reach around last week

Why incite a negative exchange?
    You really, truly just don't get it, do you?

I'll get into this once, politely. You ask a question, and you get a variety of answers. Some aren't worth anything, but hey,no one is paying for advice, so ignore it.

Others give advice, opinion, etc, in a very pleasant fashion, and if it doesn't jive with what you're looking for, you get obstinate, and argumentative, insisting they change their answer so it meets your objective.

This is upsetting to the average bear. Rather than cry about how their feeling is hurt, they get snarky. Once the snark starts to flow, the snark sharks smell a feast, and you have, what you have now.

Once the feast starts, others start paying attention. More often than not, they simply get annoyed by someone as aggressively interested in maintaining their cluelessness, and you get results like muddybuddy's post which you've taken notice of.

Keep posting, I doubt very much you'll see an improvement unless you learn to chill out, take the advice given, use it if you like, ignore it if you don't.

I'll even share a personal story of a forum adventure of my own. I had a timing belt done on my wifes car. Since I am very low on income this time of year, I made a few choices, which in hindsight, weren't very wise. I discovered this by going onto a forum about our type of car, and started asking questions. I was outside my comfort zone, and wasn't sure how things worked there. I got hammered. Many folks all telling me exactly what I didn't want to hear. I needed to do the job all over again or my wife would be driving a time bomb, with an engine rebuild at the end. I got defensive, quite sure they were just being mellow-dramatic and hyperbolic in their assessment. I even got a bit snarky, clinging to the fact that it would help. One of the more understanding members set me straight, telling me that they get this sort of thing all the time, very common question actually, and it really was the case, after all, I came to them for information, didn't I? (Oh, yeah, right....) He also informed me that being a jerk wasn't going to help anyone. Sounding familiar yet? The light went off in my head, I realized I was being, (effectively) you. I apologized, expressed that I was afraid of the inevitable, calmed down, asked a few more questions pleasantly, got the info I needed, and left. If I come back for something in the future, Im sure they'll all brace themselves a little bit, but since I regained my composure, apologized, and acted reasonably after that, I doubt I'll get a frosty welcome next time around.

I really think your name is Kyle though.......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

my apologies.
    Chill mister, no apology required. I was kidding around

If I don't use smilies, and sound pissed off, you know I mean it.

FYI? STX RC doesn't excite us, at all

Now that 9 series stuff? Hope you made something off it!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Chill mister, no apology required. I was kidding around

If I don't use smilies, and sound pissed off, you know I mean it.

FYI? STX RC doesn't excite us, at all

Now that 9 series stuff? Hope you made something off it!

I understand I didn't take it to heart. After all, It wasn't a REAL apology, just one of those cyber thingies

I was suprised that the STX-RC stuff went for the coin that it did and was so coveted by the buyer. The other stuff got me enough to do some repairs and a few upgrades (new turbo, intercooler, injectors and all the associated piping) to the Avant! Yes my car is getting old too.
    Last edited by blak_byke; 01-27-2011 at 01:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm brave, and here is my Citation- Girlonbike is right, they aren't worth anything- this frame set me back $20!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mid to late 90's Trek 9xx series (930,950,970,990).............-930res.jpg  

gobsmacked Moderator
    Welcome! We like you already! Not bad for a couple of lattes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Please do not tell anyone, but I own a Trek 850 also....

gobsmacked Moderator
    Another guy with a Trek Stash.

Certified Bike Junkie
    I don't think I've ever owned a Trek. I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out on something.

mtbr member
    Get an old lugged 970 or a 990, they's pretty sweet.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y
    Get an old lugged 970 or a 990, they's pretty sweet.
    Yep, I'm a card carrying member of the lugged Trek club. Best frame Trek made? I've only got 20 years of service out of mine.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast