Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Mid to late 90's Trek 9xx series (930,950,970,990).............

Why don't they have a cool factor to them? I mean they are good ol' American made True Temper steel frames right? They offer a great ride, hard to kill, and spec'd nicely for their time. Is it more or less because they come from a large manufacturer and not a boutique builder? I mean I know the welds look like crap but I can't see them when I ride so that doesn't bother me.

I don't see a lot of them pop up here either restored or modernized so I was just curious.

Any thoughts?
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by blak_byke
    Why don't they have a cool factor to them?
    Any thoughts?
    Because their owners are generally pains in the ass. See: "turn an old trek 850 into cyclocross" bike thread.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

VRC Illuminati
    Actually...the real answer (or what I feel to be the reason), is that there's nothing special about them. Dime a dozen. Not collectible, not hard to get....and if you've ever spent time on some of the nicer bikes from the era....that Trek is not really something people actively seek out to restore or upgrade.

A lot of us got into 'VRC' because the bikes we lusted after are more affordable to us now. I didn't pine through the pages of MBA dreaming of a Trek 930. I had to buy an entry level Stumpjumper. But now that I'm older....I went for the Ritchey P-23 I always wanted. I went for the decked out Yeti. I hunted for the Salsa.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Because their owners are generally pains in the ass. See: "turn an old trek 850 into cyclocross" bike thread.
    I am so sorry blak_byke, my name has been invoked and your thread is now condemned to not recieve any answers to your actual question. I will pray for you and hope the MTBR Vaudeville act of "post-modern hollister", "girlonbike the entertainer" and "Rumpfy the-magnificent" don't drive you to insanity for asking the wrong kind of question.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by momosgarage
    I am so sorry blak_byke, my name has been invoked and your thread is now condemned to not recieve any answers to your actual question.
    long story short:

we blame you
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy

You're an ass.....but I mean that in an endearing sort of way LOL! I hollered when I read your response!
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    long story short:

we blame you
    short story long:

folks just read the other thread and make up your own minds.

Let me welcome you to the MTBR Vaudeville act and traveling circus, known as:

"No point in answering stinking questions we don't like"

starring

"post-modern hollister",

"girlonbike the entertainer"

"Rumpfy the magnificent"

&

"Williwoods the thinskins hunter"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Actually...the real answer (or what I feel to be the reason), is that there's nothing special about them. Dime a dozen. Not collectible, not hard to get....and if you've ever spent time on some of the nicer bikes from the era....that Trek is not really something people actively seek out to restore or upgrade.

A lot of us got into 'VRC' because the bikes we lusted after are more affordable to us now. I didn't pine through the pages of MBA dreaming of a Trek 930. I had to buy an entry level Stumpjumper. But now that I'm older....I went for the Ritchey P-23 I always wanted. I went for the decked out Yeti. I hunted for the Salsa.

I see where you're coming from. For me, It's my IBOC ZERO-G. For the masses it was another 'dime a dozen' bike but for me it was my first mountain bike....A MONGOOSE! My previous bike was a Mongoose Supergoose that my Pop's bought me. So for me, it's like having a little piece of him. I keep building it up but keep feeling feeling like NAAAAH, not the right build. It's a sentimental thing. I know, I'm a softy

VRC Illuminati
    I am so sorry blak_byke, my name has been invoked and your thread is now condemned to not recieve any answers to your actual question. I will pray for you and hope the MTBR Vaudeville act of "post-modern hollister", "girlonbike the entertainer" and "Rumpfy the-magnificent" don't drive you to insanity for asking the wrong kind of question.

What are you talkin' about!? I answered his question after I made the funny.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    You're an ass.....but I mean that in an endearing sort of way LOL! I hollered when I read your response!

Haha! A magnificent ass, thankyouverymuch.
    -eric-

velocipede technician
    everyone else got a better stage name than me

boo!
    looking for 20-21" P team

VRC Illuminati
    I see where you're coming from. For me, It's my IBOC ZERO-G. For the masses it was another 'dime a dozen' bike but for me it was my first mountain bike....A MONGOOSE! My previous bike was a Mongoose Supergoose that my Pop's bought me. So for me, it's like having a little piece of him. I keep building it up but keep feeling feeling like NAAAAH, not the right build. It's a sentimental thing. I know, I'm a softy

Totally. And a lot of people here do that too, seeking out their first mountain bike. Or still have their first mountain bike and want to find a way to keep it running. Sentimental ownership is a powerful thing.

And if you like the bike, you like the bike...thats most important. But generally speaking, those threads don't get all that much attention or people excited. Those bikes are on every college campus in the US...if I want to see one, I'll go there. (tongue in cheek, but I know ur pickin' up what I'm puttin' down here).
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister

boo!

I have lots of stage names for you...but the keep getting censored here.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    short story long:

folks just read the other thread and make up your own minds.

Let me welcome you to the MTBR Vaudeville act and traveling circus, known as:

"No point in answering stinking questions we don't like"

starring

"post-modern hollister",

"girlonbike the entertainer"

"Rumpfy the magnificent"

&

"Williwoods the thinskins hunter"

LOL! I feel you Momo. I've been lurking and posting every so often over the years so I've been witness to some of the craziness that goes on here in the VRC and SS forums. Although I haven't been a victim.....yet, I still think some of it goes a bit far. With that said it was quite ironic that I read you post about suspension travel not 15 minutes before you posted here. I'm just glad you didn't totally leave the site after that experience and although your question was bit vague the first time I read it, still, it deserved a more informative answer. Hell, I had the same question some time ago and usually read when someone posts a similar thread. These guys will rip ya, but it's all good

Damn! I crashed my own thread......OLD BIKES! Whew....back on topic lol!
    Last edited by blak_byke; 01-26-2011 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What are you talkin' about!? I answered his question after I made the funny.

Yes you did....Mr Magnificent lol!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Totally. And a lot of people here do that too, seeking out their first mountain bike. Or still have their first mountain bike and want to find a way to keep it running. Sentimental ownership is a powerful thing.

And if you like the bike, you like the bike...thats most important. But generally speaking, those threads don't get all that much attention or people excited. Those bikes are on every college campus in the US...if I want to see one, I'll go there. (tongue in cheek, but I know ur pickin' up what I'm puttin' down here).

Yup. I gotcha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister

boo!

Btw PMH,

They are only better stage names if you BELIEVE they are better.......he he.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Isn't it awesome that, when you add an actual sense of humor, "venom" becomes a joke that we can all laugh about?

Humor gets a bad rap in this place - all the softies think it's someone being mean...

mtbr member
    I guess humor IS the secret handshake of the VRC illuminati......

should only take a dozen or so posts on the vrc to figure that out.

for some I guess its not THAT obvious, and really what fun is it to have to spell it out? ooops.

illuminaughty
    Humor is humor, BS is BS...we all know the difference. Even us "softies"

VRC Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV
    Humor is humor, BS is BS...we all know the difference. Even us "softies"
    No you don't.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb
    Isn't it awesome that, when you add an actual sense of humor, "venom" becomes a joke that we can all laugh about?

Humor gets a bad rap in this place - all the softies think it's someone being mean...
    Yup!

Countless examples of that. If you can roll with the punches and take a laugh at your expense...you'll probably be just fine.
    -eric-

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Just a recap since I'm so, um, flummoxed and impressed at the same time....

Guy asks question about vanilla plain jane bike.

Gets crap for it.

Rolls with it, actually posts a good volley shot back.

Gets answer he was looking for and pleasant conversation ensues.

THEN.......

Poor fella who just can't figure out that good advice can come in *interesting* packages (long time in the past now) posts conciliatory response to the OP, after all's well in the world.

Wow. I guess baffled is a better word.

All I can say is, blak_byke for mod!

As for the bike, agreed, pretty much exactly what Rumpfy said. Kinda like collecting and coveting Chevy Citations......

But if it was your first car, you might want one in the back of the barn for old times sake
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    All I can say is, blak_byke for mod!

I think for now we are sticking with the current administration.

It's at least a five year commission.

Besides, didn't the past administration give you the keys to the helicopter.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Besides, didn't the past administration give you the keys to the helicopter.
    Don't remind me, Rumpfy still buzzes my shop in the dang thing, just trying to make me jealous I think.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast