mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Mid-late 90's SRT-400 vs STI dual thumb shifters

I realize these are both on the low end, but I've got a '96 Diamondback Topanga with SRT-400 grip shifters connected to an STX drivetrain, and just picked up a Trek 820 Antelope with STI dual thumb shifters. I like my Deore trigger shifters on my Klein, and was wondering if the STI thumb shifters would be a worthwhile upgrade over the SRT-400s to swap over to the DB, or if they, being pretty new tech at the time, would be more trouble than they're worth based on the simplicity of the grip shifters. They'd need de-gunking as they're sticky and the pawls aren't grabbing, but that's pretty normal. I tried to search but even "Shimano STI shifters vs SRT-400" just returned a whole bunch of Subaru STI/Dodge SRT4 drag races and internet arguments.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by cmags View Post
    I realize these are both on the low end, but I've got a '96 Diamondback Topanga with SRT-400 grip shifters connected to an STX drivetrain, and just picked up a Trek 820 Antelope with STI dual thumb shifters. I like my Deore trigger shifters on my Klein, and was wondering if the STI thumb shifters would be a worthwhile upgrade over the SRT-400s to swap over to the DB, or if they, being pretty new tech at the time, would be more trouble than they're worth based on the simplicity of the grip shifters. They'd need de-gunking as they're sticky and the pawls aren't grabbing, but that's pretty normal. I tried to search but even "Shimano STI shifters vs SRT-400" just returned a whole bunch of Subaru STI/Dodge SRT4 drag races and internet arguments.
    I would say Shimano STI shifters are better than SRT-400s and Subaru STi's are better than SRT4's....providing you can get them ungunked.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yea, I'm also a Subaru man myself and Subaru STIs are the worst when all gunked up. Lol.

Thanks for the tip, I'll pull 'em and soak 'em in degreaser and respray with grease and see what shakes. Got a pair of 9sp Deore shifters to do the same to for another build, and might as well do my primary shifters at the same time since they're a little sticky when cold too.

Turns out these will be going on a '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo instead of the Diamondback as I just scored a deal on one on craigslist. Heh, I've only had the DB a few weeks and its already gonna be replaced lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Partially successful with the shifter de-gunking. Hosed them with degreaser, and then soaked the front shifter in a jar of it for about 15 mins, brushing it with a toothbrush to remove the gunk. Moved the cams and pawls around to try to free them up. Then sprayed down with spray lithium grease and reassembled. Rear is working great now but the front doesn't catch in the middle ring shifting down from the big ring, just jumps straight to small. I can shift back up to middle and again to big, but can't step down just one. I think the pawl that is supposed to catch in the middle isn't moving back fast enough to catch against the pull of the cable. It was the part that was stickiest of the two. Might open it back up and give it another shot - any suggestions on getting it freed up? I was using a brake cleaner as a degreaser, and also tried wd-40. Just more soaking maybe?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I hate gripshift, so removed, and replaced with STX STIs on my wifes 94 Hahanna. They work well, with a nice solid click, so would go for them. Well worthwile

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    I would go for soaking, but more importantly working it after you get the degreaser in there. That is what helps scrape and flush out the gunk. Assuming the springs are all still intact in there, it should free up like the rear (more used one) did...