mtbr member

Merlin XLM rigid fork help

I have a 1996 Merlin XLM s/n 13024 that I'm trying to find out what rigid fork would be proper and period correct for the frame, It is set up for an 1"1/8 thread less steer tube.

I've seen some posts about Merlin using Ritchey logic forks, would that have been a steel fork? and what A/C measurement and offset should I be looking for on this frame.

I checked the mtb-kataloge.de site and they are missing the 95,96 Merlin kataloge's

mtbr member
    I'm not a Merlin expert, but I'm pretty sure when going ridgid, they indeed used a black Ritchey logic fork. Yes steel.

mtbr member
    Once things went threadless, I seem to recall seeing more Kinesis or Fat Chance forks on Merlins than the Logic forks that I associate with 1 inch threaded.

Of course, this was dwarfed by the number that had Judys. Anyone who bought a Merlin without suspension was being contrary.

A Potts Type II is period correct...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    FWIW, I bought an XLM a few years ago, and it came with a suspension fork, and a rigid fork that the previous owner had built for him by Waltworks.

I'd go that way, or yeah, a Fat fork, something cool and aftermarkety, nothing against the Ritchey stuff......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    The Potts type II is a great idea and his shop is less then an hour drive from my house.

Since the frame was built in 96, I am not sure if it was designed around a 63mm 0r 80mm suspension fork. I'm sure I could bring him the frame and sort that out.

edit from 65mm to 63mm
    Last edited by jeffh; 11-09-2010 at 03:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh
    The Potts type II is a great idea and his shop is less then an hour drive from my house.

Since the frame was built in 96, I am not sure if it was designed around a 65mm 0r 80mm suspension fork. I'm sure I could bring him the frame and sort that out.
    63mm I think. I have a Potts Fork on my old Merlin. It's beautiful.

fog
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I am thinking that the frame should be build around a 63mm fork. Use 25% sag and you should be close. Any good custom builder should be able to help you.
    Wayne

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the A to C measurement is on a Rock Shox Judy in 1996 ?

I dug up this old thread on a Rock Shox Judy XC 1996 that says 428mm, is that right?

less 20% for sag (13mm) would give me an A to C around 415mm for a rigid fork, does that sound right for a rigid fork for this time frame.

1996 Rock Shox Judy XC specs

I also found this thread that, has the Ritchey logic fork A to C at 15.25 inchs ( 388mm)

Suspension corrected geometry question.

That's over 25mm difference

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I also found this thread that, has the Ritchey logic fork A to C at 15.25 inchs ( 388mm)
    Can't help off the top of my head with the Judy, but the 388 would be a non suspension corrected fork. What folks call rigid geometry.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

underachiever
    Anyone know what the A to C measurement is on a Rock Shox Judy in 1996 ?
    I have a 1996 Judy XC and the axle-to-crown is 420mm. This figure comes from Independent Fabrication as I had them build a modern version of my 1994 Rhygin Ra.