Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Merlin Newsboy... old and new.

7K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Bigwheel 
#1 ·
Old frame, new fork. Titanium goodness. :)

The fork is from James at Black Sheep. I had him built it stout so that the bike can be ridden hard... thus the beefy strut assembly.

See less See more
#3 ·
SimonConnell said:
Wow! What's the small tube near the bottom bracket - cable routing for the rear brake?
Yeah - it has internal routing for both derailleur cables as well as the rear brake. The entry point is higher up the downtube, between where the two seatstays join it.

#9 ·
donkey said:
That has got to be the sweetest piece in your collection...and that means alot coming from someone with a Willits obsession.

B
I don't know about that.....

Unlike poker, one of a kind can be the winning hand in bikes......but when you have all the cards anyway it doesn't matter and Term plays with a full deck.

#10 ·
Bigwheel said:
I don't know about that.....

Unlike poker, one of a kind can be the winning hand in bikes......but when you have all the cards anyway it doesn't matter and Term plays with a full deck.
That's my favorite bike for sure! Can you believe it's still work-in-progress? I have very high expectations of the ride when it'll finally be done... hopefully next year. :)

#11 ·
newsboymerlin said:
welcome to the club... :cool:
really nice fork! congratulation. i look forward to see the complete bike, because i know what you planned to do. ;)
Better late than never, eh? It has been a long time waiting to get the "perfect Newsboy for me". :)

BTW, do you have a Newsboy T-shirt to go with your Newsboy?

#12 ·
fishy said:
WOAH... besides knowing how much it cost, how does it ride? Especially when compared to a titanium fork without the "struts"?

Thanks!!
It all costs a fairly shiny penny. :) ...and I haven't had a chance to ride the strutted fork yet. I've ridden plenty of other titanium forks though and this was completely custom to my specs based my experiences - so hopefully it'll ride fantastic for my riding style.

#15 ·
terminaut said:
Better late than never, eh? It has been a long time waiting to get the "perfect Newsboy for me". :)

BTW, do you have a Newsboy T-shirt to go with your Newsboy?
yes better late than never!
nope, don't have a t-shirt for going out. the last i saw on ebay was a xs! :( I saw you got a nice cap!

#16 ·
newsboymerlin said:
yes better late than never!
nope, don't have a t-shirt for going out. the last i saw on ebay was a xs! :( I saw you got a nice cap!
I have a medium and a large Newsboy t-shirt... I think we could probably work something out so that you can have the medium if you'd like. :D

#19 ·
Robin who? You'd need to be Robbin Banks to get up to the caliber of collection you have goin on. Some day I have to get the tour of your vault, I promise to wear a bib.

Also Term, time to update the avatar with a new pic of Tia isn't it? I am sure she is much cuter now.....or better yet send along a few wallet sized!

#23 ·
Bigwheel said:
Robin who? You'd need to be Robbin Banks to get up to the caliber of collection you have goin on. Some day I have to get the tour of your vault, I promise to wear a bib.

Also Term, time to update the avatar with a new pic of Tia isn't it? I am sure she is much cuter now.....or better yet send along a few wallet sized!
The collection for titanium stuff is about done, I think. I'm fairly satisfied with the inventory. :)

The whole experience of having Tia has been great! We enjoyed it so much that I've invested further in that area... and we're having a boy in April. :D As for recent Tia stuff, for a funny clip of Tia's antics. Ignore the mess on the counters in the background. Even with regular maid service it's damn tough to keep things straightened up around here!

#26 ·
WOW, OMG..That is a sweet fork. I also have a Newsboy in Large. I have been looking for a fork worthy of it for years and nothing yet.

Anyone have a photo of Robin Williams ti springer fork? I saw it years ago when he rode it on David Letterman show. That thing is sweet.

What is your serial number?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.