Thread: McMahon BUFF

mtbr member

McMahon BUFF

Little backstory.

Got into mountain biking in 1990.
    Started with a Schwinn Sierra MOS.
    Went through various bikes over the next ten years. Klein Rascal. Manitou FS (not the fork. Manitou full suspension frame). Amp B4. GT LTS.

Built up this Mcmahon BUFF towards end of 97 going into 98. IIRC, I got frame at end of 97 and collected rest of pieces in 98.

I rode this through 99 and life got in way and stopped riding. Luckily sat unmolested collecting dust in my parents basement.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and i got the biking bug back. Ill be bringing it back to life and will make some decisions on some upgrades.

Some highlights
    Manitou xvert r
    Chris king headset.
    Grip shift
    Hope titanium hubs with titanium spokes.
    Hope disc brakes.
    Raceface cranks
    XTR Derauiller and cogset
    Speedplay Magnum pedals.

Some iPhone pics to start.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    A friend of mine had a McMahon DH with a similar pivot setup. This was in the late '90s, if I recall. It had some interesting details like an adjustable top tube...
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You may want to hold off on the upgrades.

In 99 you left a bad-ass bike in your parents basement. A few weeks ago you blew the dust off a museum piece.

It's very cool but I'm not sure trying to modernize it is a good idea.
    If you're still the same guy that built that up back in the 90s, you owe it to yourself to get a modern full suspension bike.

Appreciate your old bike for what it is. A very cool early version of a modern full suspension bike.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    You may want to hold off on the upgrades.

In 99 you left a bad-ass bike in your parents basement. A few weeks ago you blew the dust off a museum piece.

It's very cool but I'm not sure trying to modernize it is a good idea.
    If you're still the same guy that built that up back in the 90s, you owe it to yourself to get a modern full suspension bike.

Appreciate your old bike for what it is. A very cool early version of a modern full suspension bike.
    Am I the same guy from the 90's.
    Probably not. I was obsessive about bikes back then.

Being away for so long and reentering the scene I do see the changes. 29" wheels. Etc.

Looking at the everything available now the frame design is essentially still good I would argue. Horst link with floating shock mount. Granted the pivot points are tiny compared to current designs.

If anything, current plan is to take everything apart. Clean and Regrease. New shock oil. Brake fluid. Etc. new tires. It may be vintage but I'm going to use to get myself back out there. If I see myself really getting back where I'm riding on a consistent basis again I'll probably lean toward getting back to my XC racer roots and build up a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    A friend of mine had a McMahon DH with a similar pivot setup. This was in the late '90s, if I recall. It had some interesting details like an adjustable top tube...
    This frame is an evolution of the Boom Shaka. The front triangle is the same. Interestingly enough it does have the Horst link (before patent got sold off to specialized) and a floating shock mount.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsklrdr View Post
    If anything, current plan is to take everything apart. Clean and Regrease. New shock oil. Brake fluid. Etc. new tires. It may be vintage but I'm going to use to get myself back out there. If I see myself really getting back where I'm riding on a consistent basis again I'll probably lean toward getting back to my XC racer roots and build up a hardtail.
    That's pretty much what I meant. When you mentioned "upgrade" earlier, I thought you were thinking of trying to modernize the bike. New tires would probably be as modern as I would take it. It probably could benefit from a modern fork up front, but I'm not sure you want to start down that road with that bike.

It will definitely be a great conversation piece on the trail.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    That's pretty much what I meant. When you mentioned "upgrade" earlier, I thought you were thinking of trying to modernize the bike. New tires would probably be as modern as I would take it. It probably could benefit from a modern fork up front, but I'm not sure you want to start down that road with that bike.

It will definitely be a great conversation piece on the trail.
    I don't mind upgrading the fork. Any suggestions welcome. I'll keep this one on the side and put it back on if she turns into museum piece again.

As you say it should be an interesting conversation piece out on the trail. McMahon was never a big company in the first place and from what I've learned went out of business a few years after I stop riding. So its not like there's a lot of them out there.

VRC Illuminati
    When you go to swap to modern tires, I'd be happy to take those Porc's off your hands!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2