No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Marzocchi Bomber Z-2 Atom 80.....$

I ride a 97 Eastern Woods Research Woods Bike frame. I love it. Lately, I've been "stressing" (read thinking ahead) as to what I'm going to do when the time comes to replace parts on an older bike. Most things are no problem. BUT, something like a front shock is a diff. story. Not much out there in COIL, and in lower travel, like 80mm. that's pretty burly,etc. like the forks from back in the day. WHen 80-100mm WAS long travel.

Currently, I ride a '97 Marz Bomber Z-2 fork. PRE-Atom. And is at 70mm travel. Great fork. Coil. Oil bath. Adjustable. Dare I use the word "buttery" smooth?!?. Makes me not want to ride air...anything...ever... So. I've taken very good care of it. It's been rebuilt around 5 times. Last time by Marzocchi.
    But, what to do when it goes bad this time? Everything has a life. What to do to keep my rig's 72 degr. head angle? Works SICK for the stuff that I ride. (Where EWR surfaced in eastern Pennsylvania.) Without going to something new and way over the travel that the bike was intended?

ENTER...My question of what would you pay for.....(hidden in my rant?)

Walked into myLBS today to find a guy "selling" his OLD Taiwan Kona. Great bike, don't get me wrong...but I'd have given my eye teeth for the fork and seatpost alone!

The shop's pretty cool. Leave your bike here. See if we can sell it. Take a portion. Etc. Personally, I'd do ebay.
    Kona. OLD. Taiwan. Steel. Can find out the frame. Just knew it was WAY too big for me and eyed the fork and orig. Syncros steatpost. (Nobody Rip me for not following up on the frame...just saw that it was low(er) end and ....Well, I love the way the old Kona's had the lowered TT's, etc. ...but, it just didn't interest me!)

The guy wanted $450.00 for the whole bike. Wouldn't part with anything else.

How much woudl the Marzocchi Bomber Z-2 Atom Bomb (with the "M" brake arch) be worth? It is Black. My fave part color. Fork's in GREAT shape. Hardly a scratch on it!

He may sell the bike in many months. Most likely lowering the price to where his..."It's got XTR brakes on it" means nothing. BUT...What would you guys offer him for the Fork alone?

ANY help appreciated. As...the shop felt the same way (that the bike may not move) and gave me his home # to call him to offer on the fork alone.

Thanks. Sorry for the solicitation....
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

artistic...
    you can buy a new marz and mod it to 70mm. speedgoat does the trick. call them. talk to steve. if your headtube is 1 1/8 you are on the green light.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

locked - time out
    Sep 2004

Keep the fork

You can still buy the seals from QBP (one of the biggest bike parts distributor) for that model. You can even get springs as well. That is definatley hats off to the crew at Marzocchi. Rock shock wont even service a shock older than two years. BTW I have a 97 Z2 and it is an Atom Bomb. No disc brake mount and 80mm of travel. Still like it.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Seriously? I honestly didn't know about that...

Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    you can buy a new marz and mod it to 70mm. speedgoat does the trick. call them. talk to steve. if your headtube is 1 1/8 you are on the green light.
    Which of the new Marz forks do they do the mod on? Hopefully it's something with some coil springs in the legs.
    I'll follow up with Steve there but wondered what you knew about the mod. Thanks!
    I've used Speedgoat many times in the past. Great people!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Which of the new Marz forks do they do the mod on? Hopefully it's something with some coil springs in the legs.
    I'll follow up with Steve there but wondered what you knew about the mod. Thanks!
    I've used Speedgoat many times in the past. Great people!

i talked out of experience i had w/speedgoat and a Z2 80mm that steve could valve down to 70mm. you would be surprised how well your bike would handle w/ 80mm instead of 70mm. just let extra 10mm as sag.
    i don't know the actual marz. line up so i can't give you the info you need. sorry
    Last edited by colker1; 06-19-2006 at 07:02 AM.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Wow. I replied to this once and it's not here...? So, again...

Quote Originally Posted by Romirider
    You can still buy the seals from QBP (one of the biggest bike parts distributor) for that model. You can even get springs as well. That is definatley hats off to the crew at Marzocchi. Rock shock wont even service a shock older than two years. BTW I have a 97 Z2 and it is an Atom Bomb. No disc brake mount and 80mm of travel. Still like it.
    Love my shock. Really, don't ever want to part with it. But, upon speaking to a tech at Marzocchi this last time, he said that there's only so far that you'll be able to take it. Only so many rebuilds where, even though you replace everything. Bushings, seals, etc.,...the fork will be worn enough that you still get leakage.

Mine's at that point. Great condition. Not really any "play" or slop when holding the front brake on and rocking the bike back and forth but did have the gray "seepage" of contaminated oil down both fork legs after my last wet ride. Looks worse than it is when a little mixes with water and runs. i keep the stanchions (sp?) clean all of the time though. And, the shock is still fine right now.
    I just want the guy's Atom 80 for the future. Even if I don't mount it up to my bike right now. It has more than enough steerer left for my needs. I'll probably have to cut some off, actually. (speaking as if I already own the fork...guess that I'm hopeful.)

My old Z-2 is the smoothest thing that I've ever been on. What is "Old tech." should come around as new tech again as adj. preload and rebound/coil/oil bath is the best in ride quality out there IMHO. Who needs SPV anything?

SO, how much to you think a great condition Z-2 "M" arch Atom 80 is worth for me to make this guy an offer?
    $?
    Thanks!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    My old Z-2 is the smoothest thing that I've ever been on. What is "Old tech." should come around as new tech again as adj. preload and rebound/coil/oil bath is the best in ride quality out there IMHO. Who needs SPV anything?

SO, how much to you think a great condition Z-2 "M" arch Atom 80 is worth for me to make this guy an offer?
    $?
    Thanks!
    I haven't been keeping an eye on ebay for a while for these, but they weren't going for much more than $100 (if that). '98-99 Z2's go for 60-90 depending on condition & if they've got the replaceable steerer.

I'm still loving my Z2's as well!... got a small stockpile of late 90's Z2's, perfect with the speedbomb springs & 10mm travel kit!
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Logbiter: On $$$ prices...and Nuke Proof stuff...

Hey. Thanks for the heads up on the pricing. I clicked on your profile to see what kind of stuff that you're running these Z-2's on and saw the Nuke Proof stuff listed.
    So, funny. As, part of my pitch to the guy with the bike is to also to buy the wheelset. Mavic 317's (Is that what they were back then? Would have to go out in the garage to check an old set that I have...Can't remember.) Laced to Nuke Proof Hubs. For a cousin/riding buddy of mine who had Nuke Proof Super Fly's and left his front wheel at the trailhead parking lot one night...only to find his wheel scammed when he realized it and went back. He's doing a retro EWR build as well and the Nuke Proofs would be perfect!

Thought that I knew pretty much about the early Z stuff Marzocchi but what's with the 10mm travel kit? Unfamiliar...

Thanks again for the price tips.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Mavic 317's (Is that what they were back then? Would have to go out in the garage to check an old set that I have...Can't remember.)
    I'm not sure about the 317's, but 217, 230, 231 were pretty common back then. *knock on wood* my nuke stuff has held up well. They do come up on ebay sometimes too. But, that's not the everyday use wheelset. Sorry to hear about the loss of that wheel.

Thought that I knew pretty much about the early Z stuff Marzocchi but what's with the 10mm travel kit? Unfamiliar...
    cambriabike might still have the MRP 'speedbomb' kits... they've had 'em on blowout for a couple years. Comes with speedsprings and a 10mm shorter spacer that goes into the bottom of the stanchion to give 10mm more travel. I can't say I've really noticed the travel as much as the better spring rate with the speedsprings compared to OEM springs.

It is nice to get more travel w/o jacking up the front end though.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

So, what do ya' think on dough for the wheelset?

Again, well cared for. Not many rough trail rides on 'em I'm sure. Nuke Proof hubs. Don't know which model. Super Fly's? These have "gold" in the hub body. The Super Fly's I've seen had red. And, Mavic 517's? Tonight. 517 is sounding like a better number. (Again, only a short walk to my garage...maybe when I go to the garage fridge for another Victory Prima Pils...) I forget what skewers were on the bike.

Est. on price for the wheelset?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    mine don't have any 'carbon' threads other than black in 'em. no idea on the wheelset, but personally I wouldn't pay a lot, since the nuke's weren't known for their durability... I picked my hubs up cheap from the classifieds here around the turn of the century, or else I woulda gone shimano.

Again, well cared for. Not many rough trail rides on 'em I'm sure. Nuke Proof hubs. Don't know which model. Super Fly's? These have "gold" in the hub body. The Super Fly's I've seen had red. And, Mavic 517's? Tonight. 517 is sounding like a better number. (Again, only a short walk to my garage...maybe when I go to the garage fridge for another Victory Prima Pils...) I forget what skewers were on the bike.

Est. on price for the wheelset?
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

I honestly don't have a clue as to the $$$ to offer...

Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    mine don't have any 'carbon' threads other than black in 'em. no idea on the wheelset, but personally I wouldn't pay a lot, since the nuke's weren't known for their durability... I picked my hubs up cheap from the classifieds here around the turn of the century, or else I woulda gone shimano.
    By "not pay a lot"...even a ball park $$ figure?

I mean, one always wants to pay the least amt. poss. but yet, I do want to be fair with the offer.

Thanks!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

$40-$50

Those SuperFly wheelsets were pretty affordable when new.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

$50 for BOTH wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Those SuperFly wheelsets were pretty affordable when new.

As in, $25.00 each? Or, $50 each and $100.00 for both?
    Sorry to be an idiot. Just don't want to cheat the guy. Would like to give him what it's worth, that's all.

Thanks again for the $$$ help.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

$50 for the pair

I bought 3 pair of Nuke Proof wheels complete with cogsets and skewers, the carbon hub verson, a few years ago for $200 including shipping

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    I bought 3 pair of Nuke Proof wheels complete with cogsets and skewers, the carbon hub verson, a few years ago for $200 including shipping

Did you get it from that jdogg guy in the MTBR classifieds?

I bought a pre built close out set of carbon Nuke Proof wheels for about the same several years ago too.

I beat the wheels up pretty good and had no issues with the hubs.

Eastcoaster...you want your money's worth for that wheelset...ditch the rims and sell the hubs by themselves. Easier to ship, easier to sell. Let the new owner start with a fresh set of rims and spokes of their choice.

I sold my NP hubs for over $100 after buying and riding the wheelset for not much more than that. Of course...being good at eBay helps (along with a little luck)
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost