Retro on Steroids

Marin Museum of Bicycling expanding?

The building in Fairfax that houses the Marin Museum of Bicycling and the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame is a former grocery store. The Museum occupies the front of the building, and until recently the back half had another tenant.

The other tenant has moved out, and curator Joe Breeze is hoping to expand the museum into that space, finances permitting. Everyone who works there is a volunteer, but the landlord isn't.

Joe showed me his floor plan for the expanded museum, should that take place. He has even set aside a space for my personal archive and associated bicycle history projects.

The original display space is maxed out. There are dozens of bikes that have been collected but have no space for display. In addition, the library has already grown into a world-class collection. There is so much graphic material, posters, photos and the like, that it would cover acres of walls, if the walls existed. Joe's dream is for the museum to be a celebration of all forms of bicycle culture, but he could easily fill three buildings like the one he is in.

Because some people have donated examples of bikes that are already on display, the museum sells the duplicates to help defray expenses. VRC collectors should definitely check the place out.

mtbr member
    They need a sugar daddy to finance this expansion, with the MOMBAT collection

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Any number of commercial entities would contribute, but the price of that is their name somewhere on the museum and something to say about its direction. Joe isn't having any of that.

FFB had the advantage that they didn't pay Marin County Real Estate prices for their building. No way a building that size will every be available in Marin.

Retro on Steroids
    Not worthy of another thread, here is a podcast recorded at the Museum by an English visitor. It features Connie Breeze, Wende Cragg, Jacquie Phelan and Joe Breeze.

I'll throw in another podcast link, Joe Breeze and me being interviewed in Newcastle, England during our recent lecture tour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Any number of commercial entities would contribute, but the price of that is their name somewhere on the museum and something to say about its direction. Joe isn't having any of that.
    too Bad.

I don't like my job but it pays the bills and gets me what i want.

A corporate sponsor with deep pockets and ties to the foundations of the sport (Specialized or Trek for example) could preserve all this for everyone to enjoy. I'm not a fan of either company but I also just put a stair runner into a vacation home of a VP of Monsanto, Sometimes you can't nit pick your paycheck. Maybe it's time to rethink "naming rights" to fund what could be a great resource for everyone. It shouldn't be all about one person's vision if that vision is holding back the potential.

Retro on Steroids
    I don't like my job but it pays the bills and gets me what i want.

A corporate sponsor with deep pockets and ties to the foundations of the sport (Specialized or Trek for example) could preserve all this for everyone to enjoy. I'm not a fan of either company but I also just put a stair runner into a vacation home of a VP of Monsanto, Sometimes you can't nit pick your paycheck. Maybe it's time to rethink "naming rights" to fund what could be a great resource for everyone. It shouldn't be all about one person's vision if that vision is holding back the potential.
    Something I have told people for a long time. When I disagree with Joe Breeze, it means I'm wrong.

It's his vision and his thousands of hours and the thousands of hours of others that put the museum where it is. I will not criticize his strategy.

I don't know whether you have been in the building, but it is a living and growing monument to bicycle culture. I feel fortunate that I get to hang out there.

Unless you have created something uniquely your own that someone else might want to pay for, you don't know what it is like to be in a position that is easy to write about, more difficult to live.

Once you sell it, you never get it back. Once you sell it, you are no longer your own boss. Once you sell it, somebody else owns your dream and changes it. Once you sell it to one company, you cut off your access to another. It's more satisfying to struggle, using your own resources and your own vision, than it is to sell out and take orders from some P.R. flack.

You talk about a job that pays the bills. That isn't what this is. Your job is what you do to pay for your bicycling. Money isn't everything, satisfaction is the staff of life. None of us will starve, and the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame is in the kind of home it deserves.

VRC Illuminati
    Joe showed me his floor plan for the expanded museum, should that take place. He has even set aside a space for my personal archive and associated bicycle history projects.
    That would be awesome!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati
    The MOMBAT collection does seem to need a home, but I don't think the Marin Museum is starved for content.

if the MM can maintain it's current integrity, I think Joe, Mark, and Otis have done an incredible job with the space and the direction.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.