mtbr member
    May 2008

Marin Monocoque from 1996 keep it original or resto mod?

Recently was given a 1996 Marin Monocoque that was all original down to the original tires (marin quakes). Cables were trashed, seat was trashed but everything else is in excellent condition. I broke it down to frame and bottom bracket and I'm currently dealing with a very stuck bottom bracket that very highly likely was never serviced and 22 years of "I'm not coming out of here without a fight." Most of the stickers are in perfect shape beside one on the seatstay but overall this was a very sparingly used bike hence the original tires with plenty of tread on them (although pretty hardened up at this point).

Obviously this was a fairly rare bike at $1500 MSRP in 1996 for LX and STX with Manitou Mach V elastomer fork. Frame was hydroformed in the USA although the build occurred in Vietnam.

Main question once I get this bottom bracket out and replaced or serviced is do I build this back up with all original parts, triple up front, v-brakes, stock elastomer fork or do I resto mod this thing with a 1x drivetrain, period appropriate Marzocchi bomber fork, cantilever brakes, etc?

I'll get some pictures up on today of this somewhat rare beast.
    tried a dozen ways to insert the image but all that shows up is this link.. guess I'm old or stupid
    [img]https://imgur.com/SfUpZTe[img]
    Last edited by Doctorsti; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:26 AM.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Do you want to ride it a lot, or just ride it now and then?

I wouldn't go nuts with parts, especially if it's not seen a lot of use and it all works.

If you wanted to update then, keep the original parts (not that LX and STX are sought after but hey) so you can make it original should you desire. I don't know how many were made, but it wasn't a high end spec. Good mid-range MTB in its day though.

Change cables, replace the saddle, clean and lube etc would be my limit on it.

Monocoque frames looked cool in the day, until such designs fell out of vogue and were relegated to the Walmart catalogue. I still have a Mountain Cycle Moho frame hanging up, with more cracks than I care to count.

Enjoy the project!

Grumps

No known cure
    Weird. I saw one of those on a facebook group over the weekend. I'd look for a Bomber to throw on it.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Weird. I saw one of those on a facebook group over the weekend. I'd look for a Bomber to throw on it.
    I was thinking bomber z2, Brake upgrade to hydro rim or cantilever, new tires and seat along with overhaul of hubs and bottom bracket with conversion to 1x8 and ride it. No permanent mods although the internal cable routing the guy from the Netherlands did was cool. Id feel bad permanantly modifying a bike 22 years old that is pretty much unridden.