mtbr member

Mammoth 1988 Pictures: Tomac, Ot Pi, etc...

Finally picked up a scanner, so I thought I'd post some of my "vintage" pictures. Here's two of Tomac during the unofficial dual slalom race at the 1988 Nationals in Mammoth California. He's on a 24" Mongoose BMX cruiser (sidepull brakes!). I recall at the Pizza shop that night sitting at a booth next to his and thinking "how cool is this!".

Here's one from the Mammoth '88 trial's section with Ot Pi making his U.S. debut. Remember when observed trials was such a larger part at a mountain bike race? Now your lucky if there is even a trials event at all!

Last, here's a picture of me at the start of the XC race on my '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue. Note the "ultra-stiff" Vans, Vetta Corsa helmet and my lucky XL Ritchey shirt (I wear a small). I'd be the biggest geek there if that guy behind me with the knee-highs hadn't shown up!

Great memories from that event. I placed mid-pack, but was surrounded by my heroes and exotic bikes of every type. I remember the giant Swatch watch on the ski lift pole was stolen, so there was a big search to find the thieves.

Ended up crashing on the Kamakazi and landing in the Mammoth hospital with three crushed vertebra (3 months off school!). Cause? The manditory "safety crew" that reinstalled my front wheel from the gondola ride up didn't tighten the front QR and the wheel slipped right out about 1/4 mile down the run--hello high-side! Lesson, always check your own safety equipment.

mwr
    brain donor
    Awesome pictures!

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004

Trials events

It's funny...trials has be so marginalized in North America, and at avery UCI major event in Europe, it's as prevalent as that Ot Pi picture. Trials has erupted to a sport beyond anything most American riders would ever think possible, yet it get NO coverage from the US cycling media unless it's skate park or urban stuff...so sad...

Awesome pics!

rb

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb
    It's funny...trials has be so marginalized in North America, and at avery UCI major event in Europe, it's as prevalent as that Ot Pi picture. Trials has erupted to a sport beyond anything most American riders would ever think possible, yet it get NO coverage from the US cycling media unless it's skate park or urban stuff...so sad...

Awesome pics!

rb
    Agree. It's terrible that trials in NA has essentially gone to hell. It's amazing though that the market continues to grow while comp participation seems to be at an all time low. We've lost some great organizers and no one seems to want to step in to fill the shoes.

I don't think the average American has the attention span to bother to understand what it takes to be a good trials rider.