mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Magic Motorcycle/Coda Creaking...lots!

Hello VRC people. Pretty sure the Magic/Coda 900M cranks qualify to be here, right? Anyhow, I've got an annoying issue going for the last month now. CREAKS. Every pedal stroke when the watts get higher. QUITE annoying. I was tempted to just stop riding and walk home. Ugh.

Anyhow, first thing I though was bearings. So I took them apart, replaced the bearings (6805-2RS). Put it all back, and rode them today, EVEN MORE creak. I've thoroughly inspected them for cracks or separation, but there's nothing. And it's a loud creak.

Any tips to quiet these otherwise beautiful cranks down would be really appreciated!

The Brutally Handsome
    did you grease the bb spindle before installing the cranks? there are differing schools of thought on this, but in my experience cranks will start creaking unless i grease em up. it's an easy enough thing to try anyway.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipolini2b
    Any tips to quiet these otherwise beautiful cranks?
    Sell them to me

Seriously though? Like Sizzler said, grease is your friend. Lay a bead in behind each bearing, and in front. Spindle contact points to, grease 'em all. Chainring bolts, grease inside and out, clean the tabs at the same time since the rings are off. Grease crank bolts, and washers, the spindle interface with the crank, you can always wipe off excess, but you can't get it in there once it's assembled.

BB30 decreak protocol is mostly more grease in more places.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ok guys, gonna waste my entire 1/4 tube of grease on this BB assembly. By waste i mean unload liberally. I previously only put grease on the inner part of the bearings and on the spindle ends. Now it'll be both sides of the bearings, inner and outer segments, as well as liberal amounts on the spindle.

Another question regarding the extraction bolts. is there a certain way to get them in? Feels like it's different each time I assemble them. The threads are fine, but how far in should they be threaded into the spindle prior to putting the crankarms on?

And an obvious question: the bearing shields go on the outside of the bearings, correct? I think they're bearing shields...the two washers that sit adjacent to the bearing...just not sure where exactly.

ot: Mendon, i am humbled by your headshok/cannondale/superV knowledge! Been sifting through the Super V threads for weeks with plans for my 96' super v 3000 (on which these cranks are stock). Thanks for the help! Sizzer too.

illuminaughty
    I always use Bacon Fat on my spindles, it's got a high melting point and as you pedal it heats up and smells oh so good
    Last edited by da'HOOV; 11-20-2009 at 06:28 AM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipolini2b
    how far in should they be threaded into the spindle prior to putting the crankarms on?

And an obvious question: the bearing shields go on the outside of the bearings, correct?
    Far enough to allow you to install the cap it pushes against, fully.

Correct

And don't forget any other threaded things, chainring bolts, the pedals, etc. Also check pedal tightness. I can't tell you how many creaks I catch that are based on dry pedal spindles and or loose CR bolts.

Going to Uber it up huh? Sweet, post up some pics of it, @ 96 it's old enough to not get too many feathers ruffled around here, just don't tell anyone I told you to
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV
    I always use Bacon Fat on my spindles, it's got a high melting point and as you pedal it heats up and smells oh so good
    My grandfather always used bacon fat for cutting lube when drilling holes in metal. I always thought it was just an old timer saving money. Turns out bacon fat has a high shear strength and makes an excellent cutting fluid. Smells good also. One more reason to eat bacon!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV
    I guess, if you consider room temperature high