mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Mag 20 replacement shock brace - '92 Klein

I have a 1992 Klein Attitude with a horizon linear fade paint, Rockshox Mag 20 custom painted fork and fork brace. Unfortunately my fork brace just cracked...

Any thoughts on suitable replacement fork brace that will fit, do the same job and look good? I'd rather not replace it with a stock mag 20 brace without custom paint, and don't expect to easily find one with Klein custom paint. Also, I'm running V-brakes on it, so don't need the top pull cantilever tower anymore.

Could I run a brake booster as a replacement, mounted on the inside of the brakes instead of outside as they are normally mounted, or would that not do the same job? I was thinking this brake booster looks pretty cool and will compliment a carbon theme I have going on the bike:
    http://thinkcooper.com/Galleries/San...s/IMG_8334.jpg

Any other ideas?

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

mtbr member
    My opinion: No.

A booster is not made to replace a brace. Boosters are made to support the "spreading" of fork legs, not the other directions forks may be put under (twisting, up-down, etc). Boosters are mounted by one bolt per leg, most braces are held by 2, and are "indexed" fit into the legs.

V-brakes will put even MORE force on the legs. I'd replace with the right brace. And stop thinking about how "cool" you look, unless you think it's cool visit the hospital.

Color: Black goes with everything!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    All makes sense (except for the "cool" comment - hopefully we can leave making judgments out of this. I wouldn't own a '92 HLF klein if I didn't care what it looked like).

Staying on topic, then what alternatives exist to the stock fork brace? All the braces from mag 20s and 21s are old and getting brittle (this is the second one I've broken in a year), so there are multiple reasons to not replace it with stock. Perhaps a titanium version of the same brace, but if anyone else has other suggestions, much appreciated.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Someone must have a TWP brace sitting around.

I thought I saw the magura version on Cambria closeout but couldn't find one when I looked.

PK

Humanoid Lobster
    I see NOS aftermarket braces on ebay all the time, they seem to go for very reasonable prices. It also seems like the sort of thing a few people here might have sitting in their parts bins.

You could also unbolt the custom painted one, and send it along with a replacement to someone (No clue who, but lots of people paint things) and have them match it. Might be pricey, but perhaps it's worth it to you.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Brodie also made some cool ones, and there is a pacific north west connection:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300425647934

I guess this would be a brace and not a booster.

There were a lot of companies that made them. some though were not even as stiff as the stock brace. Just keep a eye out, they're not too hard to find unless you're looking for a specific one in a specific color.
    Last edited by muddybuddy; 06-14-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy
    Brodie also made some cool ones, and there is a pacific north west conection:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300425647934

I guess this would be a brace and not a booster.

There were a lot of companies that made them. some though were not even as stiff as the stock brace. Just keep a eye out, they're not too hard to find unless you're looking for a specific one in a specific color.
    I used to run one of those Brodie Braces...(hmm, must be in a box someplace...) and I felt it was not as stiff as stock. It was a nicely made chunk of aluminum though!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I know a guy who do really nice KLEIN paint-jobs in the UK if your interested in getting the fork in right colors with logos and everything.
    BR/Kleinola

Old School Legs
    Someone must have a TWP brace sitting around.
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

Ex-Clydesdale
    I think I have a very sturdy aluminum brace on the Mag-21 hanging on my garage wall that's not being used anymore, and the cantilever tower definitely comes off (not sure I even have it, I always used Maguras). I'll try to remember to check...

edit: I'm positive the stock brace is hanging right next to the fork, too...
    Last edited by Dwayne; 08-09-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    I have a Black Anno Kooka brace, but you want to go with the stock mag 21 brace. Trust me on this one...