Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Machine Tech Power Claw- Why did they fail?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Lloyd395 
#1 ·
I had one and by hand(on the freewheel) It woudl seem to lock up but if i grabbed it tightly I could move it a few degrees. And im wondering why?

#3 ·
DiveBomber said:
I had one and by hand(on the freewheel) It woudl seem to lock up but if i grabbed it tightly I could move it a few degrees. And im wondering why?
Depending on how much investigation you did, the old power claw hubs, (according to a certain friend), aren't meant to be lubricated with grease, oil is the proper way to lubricate the internals. Grease causes the internal mecahnisms to stick resulting in lack of proper engagement. Use some sort of solvent to desolve the grease if this is the problem, some people use simple green and water, but I can't imagine the water is healthy for the berings and other mechanics. The solvent will evaporate where the water will cling to the corners and crevices contaminating any oil you use. As for the silight slip, this maintanence might help, otherwise age and use might be taking their toll. The T-30 hub came out after the power claw hub to address the problems with the old style hubs, it uses a different mechanism, simply, a ratchet.

Lloyd

#4 · (Edited)
Well Im trying to figure out why that would make a difference It still used a 36 tooth ratchet. The grease shouldnt have prevented them from engagement. One thing on the one i have is that the freehub body is cracked and i wonder it thats what slipped.

But do you know if any of the other ones that slipped was it a grinding type of slip?

It would be quite easy design wise, to make the "power claw" in to the t30 set up.

One other thing, the reverse ramped/teeth; the piece that pushed the "ratchet ring" into the fixed(to the hub body) is plastic and it has a crack at one of its smallest places which would let it open up like a "C" versus and "O", that roller clutch sits inside it. Now the roller clutch i can definately make slip, But it really shouldnt matter, because all it has to do is keep the reverse ramped from rotating just enough to push the rachet faces together

#5 ·
DiveBomber said:
Well Im trying to figure out why that would make a difference It still used a 36 tooth ratchet. The grease shouldnt have prevented them from engagement. One thing on the one i have is that the freehub body is cracked and i wonder it thats what slipped.

But do you know if any of the other ones that slipped was it a grinding type of slip?

It would be quite easy design wise, to make the "power claw" in to the t30 set up.

One other thing, the reverse ramped/teeth; the piece that pushed the "ratchet ring" into the fixed(to the hub body) is plastic and it has a crack at one of its smallest places which would let it open up like a "C" versus and "O", that roller clutch sits inside it. Now the roller clutch i can definately make slip, But it really shouldnt matter, because all it has to do is keep the reverse ramped from rotating just enough to push the rachet faces together
Dee Eight is the person to ask regarding machine tech stuff. He used to sell the MT line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.