bonked

Love 'em or hate 'em - Brew 180 Proof

Another ebay find. I have always had a thing for Brew, mostly since they are a Southern builder. When this came up on ebay I figured I'd put in a bid and if I won OK and if not, OK.

It appears to be pretty old as it looks to have been built for 7 speed, with 130mm spacing. It also as 1 inch head tube, but then so does my IF which is clearly newer.

Here is the good
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

bonked
    And the questionable.

Seller didn't disclose the fact that there was a little bit of bubbling near the BB. No worries though, it is still solid. It was pretty easy to miss to I guess so they still got positive feedback.

Also, the welding at the stays/seat tube/top tube junction is kind of sketchy. And notice how low the seat stays are mounted in comparison to the vent holes in the BB shell. Kind fo hard to see.

I'd also like to get it touched up or resprayed and planned on using Airglow, but they appear to be out of business. I'm going to try contacting Brew, but they are supposedly slow in turning work around. We'll see
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yes I am!

Tange Prestige? Old school.............
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=3]"Roll your own......." [SIZE=1]Smokebikes.com[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    Tange Prestige? Old school.............
    I have no idea. I can't recall what they typically built with back then, though now they seem to be into True Temper. Whatever it is though, the frame is really light. I'll weigh it up later on the UPS scale.

EDIT Just weighed it in at 4lbs on the dot. So maybe not the lightest but not bad for a 17.5" frame.

Definitely old school though. Except for the fact that I am too big too ride one hard, I'd love to have on in my size.
    Last edited by IF52; 05-31-2007 at 08:27 PM.
    Yes I am!

Down South Yooper

I had one of those:

Got it with an AMP carbon fork, paul brakes, really nice. Except, the previous owner had tried to pry the seat collar open and the frame was cracked circumferentially around the seat collar.

I sent it back to brew, they did a quick job of re-brazing the section and resprayed the frame white (was maroon previously). The repair was quick and the paint was mediocre, with the clearcoat missing on the seattube in places.

All that said, it was a great riding frame, until the crack opened up again.

Funny story though, I was at work one day, and my dad calls me and says, hey, your new bike is here on the porch ( I had already moved from there). I wasn't aware of anything (hadn't ordered anything), so I go over to the house, open up the box, and there is a brand new, gloss black 200 proof sitting there.

Evidently, they got the shipping name and address wrong, as there is more than one Jason in Michigan. I was a good guy, called up Brew and mailed the frame to the right guy at my expense. I was told that they'd reimburse me for the shipping, and throw in a few goodies for my trouble.

Never did get reimbursed, but I like to think that if my frame ended up on somebody eles's door, they would send it to me. Good kharma or something like that.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

artistic...
    it's too small for you... what are you gonna do w/that?
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

bonked
    It's for my wife.
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    gotta love those undisclosed issues...
    You could just do what we did on my latest buck shaver. Sandblast it and paint it with appliance enamel. Total cost about $4 plus labor.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    gotta love those undisclosed issues...
    Hey E,

Yeah, I was kind of bummed about it at first, but in reality it was something that could have easily been overlooked. If the tube was actually rotted through I would have been pi$$ed, but you can see the inside of the tube through the BB vent hole and it still looks and feels solid. Just pitted, under the paint and could easily be filled with silver or brass.

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    You could just do what we did on my latest buck shaver. Sandblast it and paint it with appliance enamel. Total cost about $4 plus labor.
    I would, but I want to maintain/reapply decals. Besides, I have used Duplicolor wheel paint for a quick fix on a set of wheels for the P-car in the past and it gets funky looking pretty quickly. So no rattle can for me.
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hmm. Maybe get it powdercoated locally then.
    I bet brew would send you new decals.
    I think Airglow is still painting here and there but it would probably cost you more than the frame did.

http://www.airglowpainting.com/pricing/index.html

bonked
    I e-mailed airglow and they didn't respond, so called and nowbody answered. So I called their fax number and it was discoed.

I also e-mailed Brew and nobody has replied back yet.
    Yes I am!