mtbr member

Looking for Old Style Lights

Not goin in for all this LED stuff!
    Looking for old style lights for going through woods/trails at night
    All I'm finding in my local stores are either high power LEDs or cheap road sets.
    Any ideas?

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    What sort of lights are you after?

When I go through the woods/trails at night I tend to use high powered LED lights. I was using a HID until it died on me last year.

Why the reluctance to use something current that offers excellent output and battery life?

Back in the day... or night, when I started riding off road after dark, we made our own lights with 12v halogen globes and rechargeable sealed lead acid batteries. They were heavy and didn't give great run time but we had fun. When we bought HIDs we had more fun. Then we bought LEDs and had fun for longer.

Grumps

26 for life.
    I dug out my old BLT halogens to compare to my new Gemini Duos. The difference was night & day, literally.
    The Duos low beam was equal to the BLTs high beam, except it was half the weight & would pump that out for 30 hours.
    They even paled my L&M Arcs which cost 3 times as much.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yes, why? You prefer heavier batteries with less run time, and lights that are better at blending with the color of their environment, than illuminating it?

I'd bet most here would agree, while old bikes are fun to ride, and remind you of days gone by, most prefer modern tires on 'em, or at a minimum, fresh from the vault, NOS rubber.

Point being, just cause it's old, doesn't automatically mean it's retrogrouch rider approved.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

the new Gilbert Grape
    I have two Nite Rider lights that are 10+ years old. Other than being 4-5 times heavier, significantly less brighter, and work for 25% as long as my new lights, they still work.

I like vintage bikes, but I can't say that I have much love for vintage lighting systems. Old randonneur bikes used large flash lights attached to the front rack - I'd consider that option today with a large Mag Light flashlight.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Like everybody else, I used lights in the olden days and they are something I would not use today.

human dehumidifier
    Added fitness benefit - put out the watts or ride in the dark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for Old Style Lights-vintagebikelight.jpg  

I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    I never used lights. Why? Most rocks go in at night!
    I have come across a few stragglers trying to get across the road.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.geckocycles.com[/SIGPIC]

There is but one rule in life. "First one to the finish line wins!"
    VVA

mtbr member
    I think I have a minty fresh complete Nightrider system, just needs fresh battery. PM me and we can work out a trade.

I still need to rework this little gem that I picked up for the Champion project:

I have full intentions of using a different battery and bulb though.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    What sort of lights are you after?

When I go through the woods/trails at night I tend to use high powered LED lights. I was using a HID until it died on me last year.

Why the reluctance to use something current that offers excellent output and battery life?

Back in the day... or night, when I started riding off road after dark, we made our own lights with 12v halogen globes and rechargeable sealed lead acid batteries. They were heavy and didn't give great run time but we had fun. When we bought HIDs we had more fun. Then we bought LEDs and had fun for longer.

Grumps
    Point taken!!!
    Just bought something current, 1800L, 3 hour battery pack, and cheaper then I thought.
    Didnt spend big bucks on it, just wanted to see what sort of light I'd get from modern LED's
    So will give it a few runs and then upgrade it if I like it

Thanks for the advice everyone!

mtbr member
    I used RC car batteries and built my own packs. Pump 7.2v to a 6.4v Sanyo or Union bulb. Lasted a good long time and was bright back in the day. 6v bulb would burn out too fast.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.geckocycles.com[/SIGPIC]

There is but one rule in life. "First one to the finish line wins!"
    VVA

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanm View Post
    Point taken!!!
    Just bought something current, 1800L, 3 hour battery pack, and cheaper then I thought.
    Didnt spend big bucks on it, just wanted to see what sort of light I'd get from modern LED's
    So will give it a few runs and then upgrade it if I like it
    If it is simply cost that was driving the concern, then I hear you. Quality LED sets run at decent dollars and if you're not sure whether you will like night riding, or get the chance to do it much, then it can be a decent chunk of money to outlay.

Night riding is a great experience.

There are LED lights for commuting where the purpose is to be seen, but the good MTB ones use LEDs like Crees which have a higher output. The better lights not only have better globes but better lenses that give a better spread of light without hot spots.

Anyway, hope all goes well and hope you dig the night riding experience.

Grumps

Team Brooklyn
    I have this and used it extensively BITD:

But I'd prefer to use the best, most advanced lighting system available today.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different